i7-2600K
Graphics
GTX 960
Mac
MacBook Air, MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
iOS
Are we talking about your Z170 system?
No, the problem system with the RX 580 is the Z68 board. The BIOS splash screen noted previously were fixed with the UEFI upgrade but the same boot loop is occurring with the 580 installed. I was able to load up the Mojave UniBeast installer as well as for the installation process to complete but the final reboot to load the OS, booting from the USB gives me the boot loop, as does a fresh UEFI Multibeast clover install on the boot drive. Clearing an extra drive so I can see if a clean install might help. Will also pull my backup drive from the Z170 system to see if that’ll load on the Z68 system.

Motherboard
Z68X-UD3H
CPU
i7-2600K
Graphics
GTX 960
Mac
MacBook Air, MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
iOS
Well son of a...Stork? ;) Pulled my backup drive from my Z170 rig and plugged it in. Lo and behold, it boots up in the Z68 system, so we have a proof of concept that the Z68 board, High Sierra (that's what is on the drive as the Z170 board has the GTX 1070 installed), and RX 580 can indeed boot up together. The odd thing? I changed nothing in the config.plist or the Clover partition. I just left it as-is to see if it would go on it's own. This was due to the fact that when I tested the RX 580 in the Z170 system I didn't change anything on the primary drive either. In any case, on the Z170 drive I've got an iMac system ID, no WhateverGreen or Lilu, no Orinoco frame buffer and it just loads up fine, even with the nVidia drivers installed and nVidiaWeb set to Yes in Clover.

Other interesting notes, Clover sees the GPU as having an RX 480, a Baladi frame buffer, and 6 connectors but is recognized fine in OS X as an RX 580 w/ 8GB of RAM with Metal supported.

Next step is to port over the Z170 Clover partition to my Z68 Clover UEFI backup drive and see if that helps. If it doesn't, I'll be trying a clean install and hoping a migration doesn't bork things up after the fact.

On a side note, anyone know if migration has improved in terms of not having to re-apply product keys to apps? I'd really like to avoid that and it's my understanding that only cloning allows you to avoid that.

Last edited:
Motherboard
Z68X-UD3H
CPU
i7-2600K
Graphics
GTX 960
Mac
MacBook Air, MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
iOS
Update: A copy of the Clover folders/files from the Z170 drive over to the Z68 drive yields no improvement. Trying a clean install of Mojave to see if that loads up on a spare drive.

Motherboard
Asus ROG Maximus X Hero
CPU
i7 8700K
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
iOS
Is anyone else having problems with the input volume? When I'm inserting a microphone (either in the front or back mic panel) the sound I can record is pretty low. I heard that there are ways to patch AppleHDA in order to boost microphone input but I'm completely lost in how to actually do this step by step.

Heres the link: https://github.com/toleda/audio_ALC_guides/blob/master/Customization.pdf

Motherboard
Z68X-UD3H
CPU
i7-2600K
Graphics
GTX 960
Mac
MacBook Air, MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
iOS
Update: A copy of the Clover folders/files from the Z170 drive over to the Z68 drive yields no improvement. Trying a clean install of Mojave to see if that loads up on a spare drive.
Further Update: Fresh Mojave install on a repurposed SSD reveals a fully booting system! I'm just running the stock Multibeast Clover UEFI settings with iMac 14,2. No Whatevergreen nor Lilu needed to boot and have Metal be supported. The only setting I tweaked, because it was set up on the Z170 drive that booted up fine in the Z68 system, was to inject Intel graphics. Need to get my accounts fully set up and installed on a primary drive and will then test out iTunes playback and such and whether Whatevergreen will be needed. Things are looking up for this cutting edge Z68 board :cool: :headbang::lol: and the RX 580! The UEFI u1n beta has been pretty slick so far, Stork. Faster boots and more rapid wakes from sleep than with the legacy BIOS. You might want to give it a go on your older legacy system(s). :) :thumbup:

Now, to sell the GTX 960 and 1070 and opt for a Mini-ITX sized RX 580 for the Z170 rig...? :think: So far, I'm enjoying the ease of use of the 580, which was what I loved about the old Radeon 5770 that was my go-to for so long. Hopefully it stays this way. :)

Last edited:
Motherboard
Z68X-UD3H
CPU
i7-2600K
Graphics
GTX 960
Mac
MacBook Air, MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
iOS
Further Update: Fresh Mojave install on a repurposed SSD reveals a fully booting system! I'm just running the stock Multibeast Clover UEFI settings with iMac 14,2. No Whatevergreen nor Lilu needed to boot and have Metal be supported. The only setting I tweaked, because it was set up on the Z170 drive that booted up fine in the Z68 system, was to inject Intel graphics. Need to get my accounts fully set up and installed on a primary drive and will then test out iTunes playback and such and whether Whatevergreen will be needed. Things are looking up for this cutting edge Z68 board :cool: :headbang::lol: and the RX 580! The UEFI u1n beta has been pretty slick so far, Stork. Faster boots and more rapid wakes from sleep than with the legacy BIOS. You might want to give it a go on your older legacy system(s). :) :thumbup:

Now, to sell the GTX 960 and 1070 and opt for a Mini-ITX sized RX 580 for the Z170 rig...? :think: So far, I'm enjoying the ease of use of the 580, which was what I loved about the old Radeon 5770 that was my go-to for so long. Hopefully it stays this way. :)
Final Update(?): I think I found the culprit for my boot woes all along. I migrated my accounts over to my regular boot drive from a clone and found that it was locking up again when trying to boot the OS, just past Clover. This time I actually got a frozen screen when booting verbose and could get a look at the issues. I figured I should start with reviewing L/E and S/L/E folders for the kexts I have there. Lo and behold, SLE had a rusted out antiquated FakeSMC kext in there. It had never been an issue before, and hence I hadn't been aware of its presence there with OS X iterations since 2011 updated one over the other, and it only started being an issue for some reason with the installation of the RX 580. Pulled that kext out and it booted right up. :crazy::banghead: The only issue that's a bit disappointing was that I had cleared my main boot drive as Disk Utility was showing some errors that it couldn't fix, and booting into the clone shows that the license keys for my apps are all moot, even with the cloning. Even so, it would have been necessary as my old 12,2 identifier wouldn't have allowed Mojave to install. So at least I've got a clean boot drive, a 14,2 identifier, Mojave, and the RX 580 running on a UEFI Z68 board. :thumbup:

Now to the task of getting all my apps set up with their license keys. o_O

Motherboard
ASUS ROG MAXIMUS X HERO Z370
CPU
i7-8700K
Graphics
RX 580
I have a problem with RX 580. After 5 minutes, the system is lagging. and Heaven benchmark on 10 fps.
Sometimes, the system is freezing totally, and I have to restart the system. But, again the same loop.

I tried High Sierra. I tried Mojave ..
Is it a problem with the GPU?
On windows everything is OK.

Maybe the RAM isn't OK? Maybe the MOBO? The monitor??

Help me please :(

Stork

Admin
Staff member
Motherboard
ASUS ROG MAXIMUS X HERO Z370
CPU
i7-8700K
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
MacBook Pro, Mac mini, Mac Pro
Classic Mac
Power Mac, PowerBook
Mobile Phone
iOS
I have a problem with RX 580. After 5 minutes, the system is lagging. and Heaven benchmark on 10 fps.
Sometimes, the system is freezing totally, and I have to restart the system. But, again the same loop.

I tried High Sierra. I tried Mojave ..
Is it a problem with the GPU?
On windows everything is OK.

Maybe the RAM isn't OK? Maybe the MOBO? The monitor??

Help me please :(
Not idea what is causing your problem. Hopefully, @pastrychef can help.

pastrychef

Motherboard
Asus ROG Strix Z370-G Gaming (Wi-Fi AC)
CPU
i9-9900K OC'd @ 5.0GHz
Graphics
Vega 56
Mac
MacBook, Mac Pro
Classic Mac
iBook, Power Mac, PowerBook
Mobile Phone
iOS
@pastrychef
Please help me :(
I think its happening after I open Photos application ...
I have no idea... Is it crashing or just slowing to a crawl? Have you tried to look at console to see if it gives you any indication of what's wrong?