Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
Classic Mac
  1. PowerBook
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Thanks for the detailed reply. It took me a while because I wanted to deepen.
Although I hardly changed anything on the BIOS, I had cloned the XMP settings from the previous version, so first I went to put them back in Auto, but nothing has changed in the behavior of the readings and temperatures above all.
Then I also tried to do as you suggested, mostly for scruple, because there was no more settings than the basic ones that you also mentioned, but despite the passage nothing has changed in behavior.
So I went to windows again and did all the correspondence checks and everything remained the same there too.
All I had to do was go back to the BIOS I had before and so I did, but surprise: the problem remained there with the version that used to work fine for me so I got worried.
I got an excellent quality thermal paste (not that the previous one was bad) and I replaced the thermal paste, even if it hadn't been in place for long and in fact it was practically perfect.
With this new thermal paste the values at rest are back to being as they were before, even with the latest BIOS, and I have gained quite a few degrees under maximum load with Cinebench R20, but this is thanks to this paste which in fact is renowned for performing well and earning several degrees.
In any case, my temperatures under full load are far from what I had before, in which at most I reached 71 degrees and I don't know why, since not even a return to the previous BIOS has changed anything.
The fact is that I still believe that the temperatures indicated are not the real ones because the radiator does not overheat in any case (and if the water that circulates goes close to the temperatures it says, it should), and the behavior, in terms of speed of temperature change is exactly what I had described earlier.
So now for sure everything is working colder by several degrees (and that's good), but I don't have the exact pulse of the situation.
Also because it has always been the video card to be the fastest one to warm up when it works and to go higher in degrees, but now it seems to have become the quiet one.

I wanted to report because I would not have alarmed anyone with these findings on the new BIOS and since the problem remained with me even returning to the old one, obviously there are two things, or something has changed with the update which then remained unchanged (but I see it highly unlikely) or something is happening to my Motherboard and I will see developments shortly, unfortunately.

I would ask you and I would be very grateful, when you return to your computer to try at least once to launch Cinebench R20 and let me know what it detects, especially in terms of temperatures, so at least I will have a reference on an app that stresses the processor in the same way , although the cooler and processor are different, but in theory they should have been designed to run at more or less similar temperatures under full load.
In the meantime and later I hope that others will also check and let me know, so at least I will have a clear idea that my motherboard is abandoning me ...:banghead:
Hi. I just downloaded and ran Cinebench R20 and have attached a quick screen grab I took during the render pass. With all cores running at 5gHz my temps spiked up to 77 degrees but quickly came down to average around 73 which is similar to what I get doing an offline bounce of a busy pro tools mix session. Considering how quiet my machine runs normally cinebencz really made my fans spin up :) In terms of score I am a long way behind the 48 core machine!

Attachments

• Screenshot 2020-09-15 at 19.48.45.png
    Screenshot 2020-09-15 at 19.48.45.png
    2.5 MB · Views: 17
  • Screenshot 2020-09-15 at 19.49.32.png
    Screenshot 2020-09-15 at 19.49.32.png
    239.8 KB · Views: 14
Motherboard
ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z370 HERO X
CPU
i9-9900K
Graphics
Radeon VII
Hi. I just downloaded and ran Cinebench R20 and have attached a quick screen grab I took during the render pass. With all cores running at 5gHz my temps spiked up to 77 degrees but quickly came down to average around 73 which is similar to what I get doing an offline bounce of a busy pro tools mix session. Considering how quiet my machine runs normally cinebencz really made my fans spin up :) In terms of score I am a long way behind the 48 core machine!

Thank you for taking the test right away and sharing the results.
Yes, Cinebench R20 is a remarkable test for the processor, it sterss it even more than what happens with a rendering created with a 3D program and I don't know how it does it, but I think it's because it is optimized to ask only that job and therefore the answer. it is even more targeted and the resources that the system reserves are the maximum possible. The fact is that the fans (if everything is set well) go to maximum, because the temperatures do the same and you realize how noisy the PC can become ...
Seasonal temperatures are probably also influencing the results compared to what normally happens and probably if you had carried out the test in a less hot period you would have obtained those 71 degrees that I did too.
However your air cooler for that 130W+ processor really does a great job! (it should investigate the stability over time, but if you do not need it, I advise you not to use it all unnecessarily, because in the best case scenario you come out with a nice cooking of the thermal paste).

I salute you and I promise you that you will be the first to be informed when my motherboard will give me some nasty surprise ;), but for now also given the heat, I avoid continuing to try to understand more, because so much going around in circles while probably aggravating the situation.
We'll see how long it lasts and in the meantime I hope others will tell me what they get.

In summary I understood that if I want to continue reading the temperature of the dGPU I cannot leave the FakeSMC family and that for the rest when I load the working processor, more than at temperatures, I have to look at the frequencies and see if thermal throttling appears, and I would be really curious to understand at what temperature indicated by my motherboard this happens ...

I salute you and thank you again for your kindness.:)

Motherboard
ASUS ROG MAXIMUS HERO X Z370
CPU
i9-9900KS
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
Classic Mac
  1. PowerBook
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Thank you for taking the test right away and sharing the results.
Yes, Cinebench R20 is a remarkable test for the processor, it sterss it even more than what happens with a rendering created with a 3D program and I don't know how it does it, but I think it's because it is optimized to ask only that job and therefore the answer. it is even more targeted and the resources that the system reserves are the maximum possible. The fact is that the fans (if everything is set well) go to maximum, because the temperatures do the same and you realize how noisy the PC can become ...
Seasonal temperatures are probably also influencing the results compared to what normally happens and probably if you had carried out the test in a less hot period you would have obtained those 71 degrees that I did too.
However your air cooler for that 130W+ processor really does a great job! (it should investigate the stability over time, but if you do not need it, I advise you not to use it all unnecessarily, because in the best case scenario you come out with a nice cooking of the thermal paste).

I salute you and I promise you that you will be the first to be informed when my motherboard will give me some nasty surprise ;), but for now also given the heat, I avoid continuing to try to understand more, because so much going around in circles while probably aggravating the situation.
We'll see how long it lasts and in the meantime I hope others will tell me what they get.

In summary I understood that if I want to continue reading the temperature of the dGPU I cannot leave the FakeSMC family and that for the rest when I load the working processor, more than at temperatures, I have to look at the frequencies and see if thermal throttling appears, and I would be really curious to understand at what temperature indicated by my motherboard this happens ...

I salute you and thank you again for your kindness.:)
Are you sure that VirtualSMC and it’s plugins don’t work with Radeon VII in HWMonitorSMC2? This post here reported support last year.

Motherboard
CPU
i9-9900K
Graphics
Radeon VII
Are you sure that VirtualSMC and it’s plugins don’t work with Radeon VII in HWMonitorSMC2? This post here reported support last year.

I searched around a lot and I had a quick look at the post you suggested to me too, but I didn't find any references to my video card, however I will re-read it with more attention.
After some searching with zero results, I tried to ask Pastrychef who is an expert here in the forum and also has a configuration with the Radeon VII, but he confirmed to me that with VirtualSMC.kext there is no way to read the temperature for that card.
I think if there was a way, he sure would have found it.
I tried the most recent versions of the kext and the app, but with no results, so it's not a question of version, at least for now, but maybe in the future the developers will implement the reading for that card too.
In the meantime I have verified that FakeSMC works the same way as Clover also with Open Core 0.6.0 (previously I had only seen it detecting values) and I have to verify with 0.6.1 so, at least for the moment, I should be covered even if I wanted to put Big Sur as an official system (but this time, except for very good news, I think I'll wait at least for the .3 release).

Thanks again for this tip.

Motherboard
Asus ROG Maximus X Hero Gaming Z370
CPU
i7-8700K
Graphics
RX 570
Mac
  1. MacBook
  2. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Well, it's not my OpenCore EFI, it's @pastrychef!
link
You have to fill some stuff and make a new USBport.kext.
Good luck!

Thanks for sharing! Didn't see your answer for 11 days, sorry for that. Will try it out ASAP.

This is an EFI created for this configuration (or rather for my configuration, which in any case is totally compatible with that of this thread, from which it originates and then has been updated)
In the EFI there are minimum interventions (I'm learning ... Radeonboost is missing for example) and it was created to be able to update Catalina 10.15.6 to Big Sur Beta and has also granted updates to even more advanced beta.
I don't use Big Sur as my main system, so I didn't dig into much, but on initial inspection it seemed to me that everything was working fine.
I would be grateful to those who use it if (in full spirit of this forum) in finding possible or necessary changes or improvements, they would also inform me and the others here, in order to make the configuration of this thread created so well by Stork, valid and performing for a long time to go.
It is still in verbose mode ...
For my needs (related to the video card) I used the FakeSMC and related to then add the kext related to the GPU that tells me the temperature of the VII, I say this for those who want to go back to virtualSMC.
There are to enter the data relating to the serial etc .. and the SMBIOS is 1.1.

Being on Catalina, as the main system, I am continuing to use Clover's EFI, but this one from OC loads faster, both Catalina and Big Sur, but until I decide to work on it and study it a little more I feel more comfortable with Clover.

Share problems/success and changes/improvements, thank you ...

greetings to all
Thanks for sharing! Didn't see your answer for 11 days, sorry for that. Will try it out ASAP.

Motherboard
CPU
i7-8700K
Graphics
RX 570
Mac
  1. MacBook
  2. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
This is an EFI created for this configuration (or rather for my configuration, which in any case is totally compatible with that of this thread, from which it originates and then has been updated)
In the EFI there are minimum interventions (I'm learning ... Radeonboost is missing for example) and it was created to be able to update Catalina 10.15.6 to Big Sur Beta and has also granted updates to even more advanced beta.
I don't use Big Sur as my main system, so I didn't dig into much, but on initial inspection it seemed to me that everything was working fine.
I would be grateful to those who use it if (in full spirit of this forum) in finding possible or necessary changes or improvements, they would also inform me and the others here, in order to make the configuration of this thread created so well by Stork, valid and performing for a long time to go.
It is still in verbose mode ...
For my needs (related to the video card) I used the FakeSMC and related to then add the kext related to the GPU that tells me the temperature of the VII, I say this for those who want to go back to virtualSMC.
There are to enter the data relating to the serial etc .. and the SMBIOS is 1.1.

Being on Catalina, as the main system, I am continuing to use Clover's EFI, but this one from OC loads faster, both Catalina and Big Sur, but until I decide to work on it and study it a little more I feel more comfortable with Clover.

Share problems/success and changes/improvements, thank you ...

greetings to all
Simon, made my day! Successful booted my Hackintosh the first time with OpenCore! Thanks man! :) Now I have to work on a USBPorts.kext. Currently I use my old .aml ;-) But hey, it boot's and runs like a charm. <3

Motherboard
CPU
i7-8700K
Graphics
RX 570
Mac
  1. MacBook
  2. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Simon, made my day! Successful bootet my Hackintosh the first time with OpenCore! Thanks man! :) Now I have to work on a USBPorts.kext. Currently I use my old .aml ;-) But hey, it boot's and runs like a charm. <3
Interesting. With OC it seems I loose 200pts in Cinebench R20. The blue one is the same system booted with OC.

Screenshot 2020-09-26 at 11.25.49.png

Motherboard
CPU
i9-9900K
Graphics
Radeon VII
Simon, made my day! Successful booted my Hackintosh the first time with OpenCore! Thanks man! :) Now I have to work on a USBPorts.kext. Currently I use my old .aml ;-) But hey, it boot's and runs like a charm. <3

USBport.kext in the EFI you used is made for Maximus X Hero, so if you don't have particular things for internal connection... but there are problems or some weird things from MB in USB for your use?

Interesting. With OC it seems I loose 200pts in Cinebench R20. The blue one is the same system booted with OC.

View attachment 489576

I had higer score than Clover (but for now I continue with it)...

However in the EFI Open Core you used, even if it works fine, there are improvements and refinements to be done for completeness.
The more I document about Open Core, the more I realize it, but for now not working on the main system, I'm happy that it works.
But the proposal to carry it forward together is always valid, for all users and visitors of this thread.

Bye:)

Motherboard
CPU
i9-9900K
Graphics
Radeon VII
Hi everyone, did any of you update to .7 already?

Hey Hi!

I was also looking for news about it, did you find something around, outside of this thread?