Contribute
Register

Stork's MyHero II Build: ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z370 HERO X - i7-8700K - AMD RX 580 - Thunderbolt 3

Mojave. I haven't installed Catalina for production use - too many problems which I'm hoping that Big Sur will solve.

Curious as to what problems you've experienced with Catalina, I recently upgraded from high Sierra to Catalina, on my Hero VIII build (based on yours), and so far I have not noticed any issues. Though only a couple weeks in, I've been using for work, illustrator/photo/animation video, most everything works (WiFi, Bluetooth, AirDrop, SideCar, iMessages, DRM, etc.).

What should I be looking out for? Or is your concern more specific to this MB and CPU.

I just updated fresh install to Mojave 10.14.6. Is working everything I tried except that I can't do backups. Carbon Copy Cloner detects errors and stops, and Time Machine says the disk is full. I already tried external and internal drives, reformatting and repair with disk utility from another bootable disk. The drives are working I can copy files.
Stork, I think I follow all your settings except that I didn't do the fix for my RX 580 (should I do this to? Its working OK) and some options in MultiBeast are different. I'm doing now a backup from another internal drive and is working ok. The problem is with the startup disk.

I just updated fresh install to Mojave 10.14.6. Is working everything I tried except that I can't do backups. Carbon Copy Cloner detects errors and stops, and Time Machine says the disk is full. I already tried external and internal drives, reformatting and repair with disk utility from another bootable disk. The drives are working I can copy files.
Stork, I think I follow all your settings except that I didn't do the fix for my RX 580 (should I do this to? Its working OK) and some options in MultiBeast are different. I'm doing now a backup from another internal drive and is working ok. The problem is with the startup disk.

I think I found a solution to my problem with the drives. The problem with Time Machine seems to be not connected with the problem with Carbon Copy Cloner. Right now, I'm doing a copy with Time Machine of my boot drive, I forgot to exclude some internals drives, and that's why it won't do the copies for the first time. So the CCC error could be a specific bug and not a problem with the files or the disk.

I have Mojave 10.14.6 (18G103) downloaded yesterday. Maybe it is that bug. For now, i'm with Time Machine. Thanks for sharing the link!

Gang, I've installed Catalina 10.15.5 and am starting to run it through its paces. It seems to be stable for my use. Although I must admit, I have some old 32bit apps that need to updated or replace. I'll be updating Post #1 soon.

Short Version of the Installation.
:ch: Prepare the UniBeast USB Installation drive per the tonymacx86 guide:

:ch: Download the latest versions of Luli & WhatEverGreen (See Forum's Downloads > Kexts section). Mount the USB Installation drive's EFI file and copy the two kexts to .../CLOVER/kexts/other/ folder replace the two current ones. Also download SSDT-ECUSBX SSDT and place it in the .../CLOVER/ACPI/patched/ folder. (Note: unlike the two kexts, this SSDT is not needed for later.)

:ch: Backup your macOS installation drive if you are going to install Catalina on top of it. Before backing up, update all your apps, scripts, etc., as Catalina will move all 32bit apps and scripts to a holding folder.

:ch: Move all the kexts in the /Library/Extensions/ folder to .../CLOVER/kexts/other/ folder. See tony's guide on what to move here:

:ch: Boot into the BIOS and set the Boot drive to be the USB Installation drive. Save and boot into the Clover Boot Menu. Choose the USB Installation drive. Once in the installer, choose either Disk Utility to format the target drive if you are doing a fresh install and/or choose to install macOS from the window. Now sit back and watch as it will take about 20 minutes.

:ch: At the Desktop, either download MultiBeast for Catalina or copy it from your USB Installation USB to the Applications folder. Run MultiBeast with the following selections:

:ch: Quick Start > UEFI Boot Mode​
:ch: Drivers > Audio > AppleALC​
:ch: Drivers > Misc > VirtualSMC​
:ch: Drivers > Misc > VirtualSMC Plugins​
:ch: Drivers > Misc > HWMonitorSMC2 HWMonitor Application​
:ch: Drivers > Network > Intel > IntelMausi (I used the latest version)​
:ch: Drivers > USB > Remove XHCI USB Port Limit <--- Adds PMHeart’s patch to remove XHCI USB Port Limit​
:ch: Drivers > USB > USBInjectAll​
:ch: (Optional) Bootloaders -> Clover UEFI Boot Mode + Emulated NVRAM​
:ch: (Optional) Customize -> Graphics Configuration -> NVIDIA Web Drivers Boot Flag <--- Required for use of Nvidia drivers​
:ch: Customize -> System Definitions > iMac > iMac18,3​
:ch: Graphics -> Inject ATI <--- For use with RX 580​
:ch: Build <--- To see your full configuration​
:ch: Save <--- Save your MultiBeast configuration file somewhere convenient​
:ch: Click on the Install button in the MultiBeast window bottom right hand corner and wait for MultiBeast to finish.​
MultiBeast for Cat Build.png
:ch: Install
:ch: After the MultiBeast installation is complete, Reboot into the BIOS and change your Boot drive to the Catalina drive. Save and boot into Clover selecting your Catalina drive.
:ch: Done!

Last edited:
Hello @Stork, given this your passage to Catalina we can finally say that we have an authoritative reference again on this configuration, related to Catalina, in fact.
So here is a fresh fresh question from me: what do you think of the 10.15.6 just released in the official version? It should be the final release, in theory (except for additional updates).
Do you think you will update soon or have you already done so?
I'm still at 10.15.4 because I didn't trust the many problems I saw on the .5 and since from .3 to .4 I had lost a little bit, I didn't want to go any worse, but I hope that with this definitive everything will solve, at least I can have the full version. Also because I don't think that the move to Big Sur will be something that can be tackled so lightly, at least as regards the official work installations.

Thank you :)

Back