Contribute
Register

Stork's MyHero II Build: ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z370 HERO X - i7-8700K - AMD RX 580 - Thunderbolt 3

Ok, so another update to my post:

After over two weeks running the system I can say it's considerably slower! Even opening finder takes a some time, the items show up, but take some time to scroll. We're talking about an i7 8700, samsung nvme 970 pro and 32gb ddr4, that should not be happening. It's so annoying that I'm ready to install Catalina from scratch and see if the problem was updating instead of a fresh install.

And to be honest, if I didn't really need Catalina to develop on the latest xcode, I'd be "downgrading" (at this point more like upgrading) to Mojave.

So, yeah @Stork if you don't need it, stay on Mojave for as long as you can :D

How will you deal with the problem of CCC backups on new installations?
I honestly haven't noticed any visible slowdowns and I still have Mojave 10.14.6 on another SSD.
There are no big differences even in the use of the processor or in the management of the processes, indeed perhaps WindowServer in Catalina takes less resources than in Mojave to make me use everything I use at the same time.
Make reference to the exploitation of resources by the main processes and the general use of the processor with activity monitoring, so you can compare them with the installation from scratch and let us know the differences you find.

See you soon...

CCC issue seems to be fixed or in the ways. But to make sure, I made a time machine and sparse bundle backup. So if anything, I'll be able to restore from that.

That's why I said in my post I don't know if it's because of the update. That's the reason why I'm trying a fresh install.

Also, what is your usual workload on your machine? Just for reference, I work daily with 9 spaces, 8 instances of VSCode, from 12-15 instances of Firefox with a lot tabs each, email app, slack, teams, skype, safari and occasionally parallels running windows or linux.

Screen Shot 2020-06-25 at 07.50.38.jpg

My workflow was my main motivation to build a hackintosh. I have a MBP mid 2014 with 512SSD and 16GB RAM. But it was struggling at times and since 32GB macs were outrageously expensive I decided to go the hack route. But now I'm noticing these lags. To be fair, they don't happen with every single task, it's usually finder or spotlight. But I still find it inadmissible considering the setup I have.

:)

My use is certainly less intensive than yours, at least in terms of open applications at the same time: on mine, when the work is intense (and it even reaches above 95% blue number) it is for rendering jobs that do not leave much space for other things, only sometimes I happen to keep several things open together such as multiple browsers with many windows open inside each and maybe at the same time a use of other side programs of less importance or productivity, but in general , just for the habit of dealing with situations that take the whole processor, I developed the habit of not loading too much multitasking and I have a tendency to often throw my eye on the dock, for what is not needed and I always keep it open monitoring processes in the corner.
Just think, that I try to be careful not to accumulate functions on the menu bar, just out of habit, in fact in idle the blue number sometimes drops even below 0.50% even with an average higher than 400 active processes (at this time 555).
Sometimes I stop just waiting for the heavy operations to end, to avoid strange jokes and it is a bit of a habit that comes from more remote times, when the wheel that turns or even the hourglass was shown to turn much more often than it happens now (yes, because I still often deal with the rainbow wheel, in some programs).

While writing this I tried to open much more than I normally do (I have 30.39GB of memory used), obviously without using things that monopolize the processor, and then I tried to make passages from one thing to another and openings of various files and I didn't notice any slowdowns, of course Catalina on Catalina.
But it may be that in any case I do not arrive at the mini and maxi division of works that you produce at the same time.
However I tried.

It's ok, every use is specific. In my case I need to able to switch to different projects fast, without having to find out which set of browsers/tabs/apps I should open. But it could be related to something broken during the update. My CPU hardly ever goes above 120F (~50C) and it usually remains around 100F (40C). So it's definitely not it. Thanks for trying to replicate the behavior, but I'll erase everything in favor of a fresh install and restore from my time machine backup. I'm hoping this will fix it :/

Okay, you're right to try and fix it with a clean install.
Just to give you the reference, since you also mentioned the temperatures, which I had not thought of writing, I add that mine are normally around 35/36 degrees Celsius (at this time of year), for use under the 5% of blue number and splash well over 70 in heavy work.
The heatsink is the same as this thread, but I had to make a change adding two noctua for heavy work in push and pull on the radiator because the original one was not able to dissipate well since I moved to the new processor.
In normal situations they turn at 700 rpm and they don't feel at all, but as soon as the processor starts to work seriously and the temperature rises above 60 degrees, I go to look for the earmuffs and as soon as it exceeds 65 I wear them, but at least so I'm sure never to reach 80. Fortunately, in cases where the noise exceeds a comfort threshold, the times are not very long and when they are, being unable to do anything else, I leave it alone with the autopilot inserted and I return "on landing" :rolleyes:

I think you did the math correctly, but unfortunately going up with the temperatures you feel a lot of difference (the 9900 heats up more) and made me immediately understand that the heatsink, chosen for the 8700, did not satisfy him.
in any case, given that your calculations are correct, I wait for your news.
Which fresh version will you install the .4 or .5 as the one you have? (I'm still at .4)

Hi Stork. My new M2 SSD just arrived and I think I going to do a fresh install. Do you recommend installing Mojave or Catalina?

Hi Stork. My new M2 SSD just arrived and I think I going to do a fresh install. Do you recommend installing Mojave or Catalina?
Mojave. I haven't installed Catalina for production use - too many problems which I'm hoping that Big Sur will solve.

Back