Stork's MyHero II Build: ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z370 HERO X - i7-8700K - AMD RX 580

Motherboard
ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z370 HERO X
CPU
i9-9900K
Graphics
Radeon VII
Hi,

Bummer, I referred to the latest public supplemental update 10.15.4, but unfortunately that did not work for you. On Reddit, people with a new Mac Book Pro were ranting that after wakeup, the system froze, restarted or did not wake at all, when a usb c device was connected. Maybe Catalina 10.15.16 will fix al the bugs

Good luck

OK thanks...
It will mean that I will wait for something new to come out and maybe I will continue to search, then if a new update will be released, better, but for 10.15.5 it is still only beta 2, so it will take a while before it becomes Official.
In the meantime I have already organized to keep the USB-C connector of the hub (which is short since it was born for laptops) in a comfortable position and the extension that goes on the back door attached, so I only connect the hub when I need it (it has also the reader for the microSD) and I do not allow sleep if it is attacked. Luckily it is not a serious thing, we have a mountain of other USB ports for everything else and in any case it is always an opportunity to have to read around and learn new things, which is an activity that without problems I do not do much.
All for Stork who made this config so functional that for all Mojave's time, he made me lazy without going around reading and never learning.. :headbang:

Goodbye see you soon...

Motherboard
ASUS Z170 ROG MAXIMUS VIII HERO-2202
CPU
i7-6700K
Graphics
Radeon RX 580
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Classic
  2. iBook
  3. iMac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi Stork,

The time has come to take the next big step(s) on my Hero (z170) build. Its Radeon RX 580 and Mojave time.

To make it a "hopefully" smooth transition for me, I separated this project into 3 phases. :thumbup:

Phase one: Switching my GTX 970 to Sapphire Pulse RX 580 and stay on High Sierra (10.13.6)
Phase two: Testing a new backup method (CCC plus EFI backup script) EFIClone - automatic backup of the EFI partition
Phase three: transitioning directly to Mojave 10.14.6

But, to be 100% sure and don't mess ups a totally perfect running system, I have a few questions. And for every ones convenience, I split them up into each phase and one after another when a phase is done. Hope this is fine by you all.

Phase one questions:
Reading a lot of thread reg. RX 580 lately, this thread makes me a little nervous:
RX 580 No signal at wake / No input in DPCIManager
Its more or less based on the same Hero build, so may I running into big problem? As far as I understand your posts, I need to do these things to make it running:

1. Backup everything
2. Uninstall GTX driver and (I assume CUDA as well, right?)
3. Update all the kexts. Add Lilu and Whatevergreen kexts to /Library/Extensions/ with KextBeast.
4. Update Clover? If yes, which version? I'm using Clover_v2.4k_r4700 right now.
5. Update Multibeast? If yes, why? And if yes, which version? MultiBeast 11.3.0 - Mojave or MultiBeast 12.1.0 - Catalina?
6. What should I do here? Uncheck them in Clover Configurator?
(Optional) Bootloaders -> Clover v2.4k r4xxx UEFI Boot Mode + Emulated NVRAM <--- Required for use of Nvidia drivers
(Optional) Customize -> Graphics Configuration -> NVIDIA Web Drivers Boot Flag <--- Required for use of Nvidia drivers
7. Customize -> Inject ATI <--- For use with RX 580
8. Power down, pull out the old and insert the new card
9. Booting up
10. Open DPCI Manager. Can you please explain, why I need to do this here:
For Sapphire RX 580 Pulse graphics card users:
Run DCPIManager. If you get this result, skip the rest of these instructions as you have an early, macOS supported Sapphire RX 580 Pulse. If you don't get this result, the proceed, otherwise you are good to go.
11.Do I need to make this step, because I'm already running 10.13.6?
I've finally fixed my problem of retaining audio after wake-up from sleep - I'm using AppleALC and Lilu. (MultiBeast v11.2.0+ for Mojave uses AppleALC and Lilu exclusively replacing the Realtek ALCxxxx audio kexts. Be sure to read the Features document which comes with the zip file or on MultiBeast.com.)
There's two ways to modify an existing installation:
Spoiler: Easy Way 1st Part
:ch: You'll need to replace the MultiBeast modified AppleHDA in /S/L/E/ folder. The easiest method is to run the latest High Sierra Combo Update (in this case 10.13.6). (Thanks, @pastrychef!)

Are these steps correct in this order? Thanks a lot in advance for your help.
Best regards and stay safe
M.

Stork

Admin
Staff member
Motherboard
Asus ProArt Z490 Creator
CPU
i5-10400
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac mini
  3. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Power Mac
  2. PowerBook
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
1. Backup everything
2. Uninstall GTX driver and (I assume CUDA as well, right?)
Yes. Do 1 & 2.
3. Update all the kexts. Add Lilu and Whatevergreen kexts to /Library/Extensions/ with KextBeast.
4. Update Clover? If yes, which version? I'm using Clover_v2.4k_r4700 right now.
5. Update Multibeast? If yes, why? And if yes, which version? MultiBeast 11.3.0 - Mojave or MultiBeast 12.1.0 - Catalina?
6. What should I do here? Uncheck them in Clover Configurator?
You don't need to do Steps 3-6 for just swapping the graphics cards.

7. Customize -> Inject ATI <--- For use with RX 580
8. Power down, pull out the old and insert the new card
9. Booting up
10. Open DPCI Manager. Can you please explain, why I need to do this here:
To have your RX 580 graphics card be recognized correctly, you may need to update the RX 580's FrameBuffer to the correct version in 10.13.6. So, run the DPCI Manager as shown in Post #1's post MultiBeast steps. That procedure has pasted the "spousal test" so you should have no trouble following it. Just do the steps as I describe.

If the DPCI Manager shows your RX 580's FrameBuffer is Orinoco, then you're home free, and you won't have to do the procedure. Otherwise you'll have to change it as I've shown in Post #1's procedure.

Note: Some of the early RX 580's are correctly recognized by 10.13.6. But, my RX 580 was a later version. Thus, it wasn't recognized by macOS as a RX 580 and used the default AMD Radeon FrameBuffer.

11.Do I need to make this step, because I'm already running 10.13.6?
If I understand what you're asking, just do the above as I described.

Are these steps correct in this order? Thanks a lot in advance for your help.
Best regards and stay safe
M.
Yes.

BTW, MultiBeast versions are specific to the macOS installation; i.e., MultiBeast for High Sierra is only for use in High Sierra (10.13). Likewise MultiBeast for Mojave is only for use with Mojave, and MultiBeast for Catalina is only for use with Catalina.

Motherboard
ASUS Z170 ROG MAXIMUS VIII HERO-2202
CPU
i7-6700K
Graphics
Radeon RX 580
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Classic
  2. iBook
  3. iMac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Yes. Do 1 & 2.

You don't need to do Steps 3-6 for just swapping the graphics cards.

To have your RX 580 graphics card be recognized correctly, you may need to update the RX 580's FrameBuffer to the correct version in 10.13.6. So, run the DPCI Manager as shown in Post #1's post MultiBeast steps. That procedure has pasted the "spousal test" so you should have no trouble following it. Just do the steps as I describe.

If the DPCI Manager shows your RX 580's FrameBuffer is Orinoco, then you're home free, and you won't have to do the procedure. Otherwise you'll have to change it as I've shown in Post #1's procedure.

Note: Some of the early RX 580's are correctly recognized by 10.13.6. But, my RX 580 was a later version. Thus, it wasn't recognized by macOS as a RX 580 and used the default AMD Radeon FrameBuffer.

If I understand what you're asking, just do the above as I described.

Yes.

BTW, MultiBeast versions are specific to the macOS installation; i.e., MultiBeast for High Sierra is only for use in High Sierra (10.13). Likewise MultiBeast for Mojave is only for use with Mojave, and MultiBeast for Catalina is only for use with Catalina.
Hi Stork,

thx a lot.... you are the best. :thumbup:
Two small additional question:

1.) Should I get rid of all the „inject nvidia“ stuff in config.plist? If yes, I assume I need to do it via Clover Configurator, right?!?

On the package of my Sapphire Pulse RX 580, I noticed that it stated on the box, that the card has Dual BIOS, one setting is for Gaming and the other for Compute. Do you know what to use?

thx again for your help and please stay safe:wave:

best
M.

Stork

Admin
Staff member
Motherboard
Asus ProArt Z490 Creator
CPU
i5-10400
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac mini
  3. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Power Mac
  2. PowerBook
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
1.) Should I get rid of all the „inject nvidia“ stuff in config.plist? If yes, I assume I need to do it via Clover Configurator, right?!?
Yes

On the package of my Sapphire Pulse RX 580, I noticed that it stated on the box, that the card has Dual BIOS, one setting is for Gaming and the other for Compute. Do you know what to use?
No I don't. I just used what the card came with.

thx again for your help and please stay safe:wave:

best
M.
And you, too.

Stork

Admin
Staff member
Motherboard
Asus ProArt Z490 Creator
CPU
i5-10400
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac mini
  3. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Power Mac
  2. PowerBook
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
The only thing I didn‘t fully understand: I didn‘t use WEG at all.
Thought this kext is crucial to keep a RX 580 running?
Might be if you use multiple monitors. But, press on until you have problems.

Motherboard
ASUS Z370 MAXIMUS HERO X
CPU
i7-8700K
Graphics
RX580
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hey guys, got a question. I have 10.14.4 installed, thanks to this guide, but I'd like to know if I could update to 10.14.6 straight from Apple Software Update. I understand that updating to Catalina might require some extra work, but would it work (properly) updating from Apple Software Update? If so, is it the same for all minor updates? Reading the update notes from this forum I always see:

Today Apple released macOS 10.14.6 Supplemental Update, a major software update to macOS Mojave. Update any supported system using the built-in Software Update functionality through the System Preferences pane or by using the standalone installer available from Apple.com.

But I don't know if it applies to all builds. Appreciate your help, kinda afraid of upgrading here :D

Stork

Admin
Staff member
Motherboard
Asus ProArt Z490 Creator
CPU
i5-10400
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac mini
  3. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Power Mac
  2. PowerBook
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
@ed.stein

First let me state that I will not update to Catalina due to the requirement to use only 64bit apps. I have too many 32bit apps that I use that don't have 64bit versions, yet.

That said, updating to 10.14.6 and the supplemental updates are easy. See my Post #2 in tonymacx86's update threads. For 10.14.6 see

For the supplemental updates see his threads in the updates forum section