Register

Stork's MyHero II Build: ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z370 HERO X - i7-8700K - AMD RX 580

Motherboard
ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z370 HERO X
CPU
Intel i7-8700K Coffee Lake
Graphics
Sapphire RX 580 Pulse 8GB
It looks like the ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z370 HERO X motherboard has enough PCIe slots for 3 Sapphire RX 580 Pulse 8GB graphics cards. Can I connect 12 monitors to the machine without any problems? Nobody has probably tested this yet. But does the Mac OS X have a monitor limit? My understanding is that Windows 10 is maxed out at around 10 monitors. What's the most monitors anyone has used on a hackintosh?

Stork

Admin
Staff member
Motherboard
ASUS ROG MAXIMUS X HERO Z370
CPU
i7-8700K
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
MacBook Pro, Mac mini, Mac Pro
Classic Mac
Power Mac, PowerBook
Mobile Phone
iOS
It looks like the ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z370 HERO X motherboard has enough PCIe slots for 3 Sapphire RX 580 Pulse 8GB graphics cards. Can I connect 12 monitors to the machine without any problems? Nobody has probably tested this yet. But does the Mac OS X have a monitor limit? My understanding is that Windows 10 is maxed out at around 10 monitors. What's the most monitors anyone has used on a hackintosh?
I've only used two monitors at one time (because that's all I have). I don't know what the highest number of monitors macOS supports.

Motherboard
CPU
Intel i7-8700K Coffee Lake
Graphics
Sapphire RX 580 Pulse 8GB
I've only used two monitors at one time (because that's all I have). I don't know what the highest number of monitors macOS supports.
Well, this will be an interesting experiment then. Using your exact build, I'll try to max out the 4 display ports on the graphics card. If everything is running smoothly...I'll add another graphics card...and then another. :cool:

Stork

Admin
Staff member
Motherboard
ASUS ROG MAXIMUS X HERO Z370
CPU
i7-8700K
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
MacBook Pro, Mac mini, Mac Pro
Classic Mac
Power Mac, PowerBook
Mobile Phone
iOS
Anyone upgraded to 10.15.2 yet?
Not me. I won't look at updating until 10.15.3 when usually the major bugs have been corrected, and I clean up or upd
ate my 32bit apps.

Motherboard
CPU
i9-9900K
Graphics
Radeon VII
Anyone upgraded to 10.15.2 yet?
I'm just reading this post now ...
I did the update, after updating Clover (5100 now) and the basic Kext (ALC, Lilu, WEG) to the latest versions available on GitHub.
Obviously after the backup ...
Everything went smoothly without problems, not even in the search for the right drive at reboot (I have 3 SSDs, one of which also with Mojave).
My configuration is the one published here by Stork in everything.
Current SMBIOS 19.1.
No operational problems found.

Motherboard
Asus Maximus Hero X(wifi - ac)
CPU
i7-8700K
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
iMac
I'm just reading this post now ...
I did the update, after updating Clover (5100 now) and the basic Kext (ALC, Lilu, WEG) to the latest versions available on GitHub.
Obviously after the backup ...
Everything went smoothly without problems, not even in the search for the right drive at reboot (I have 3 SSDs, one of which also with Mojave).
My configuration is the one published here by Stork in everything.
Current SMBIOS 19.1.
No operational problems found.
Thanks Simon - I might brave it and do it tonight. Any chance you could share your EFI folder?

Last edited:
Motherboard
CPU
i9-9900K
Graphics
Radeon VII
Thanks Simon - I might brave it and do it tonight. Any chance you could share your EFI folder?
The one attached is the EFI I have in use right now. I hope it is fine for you, as it happens for me.
You must change the name of the system boot disk to what you have (see first image) and re-enter your Serial Number (and other data, if you want) in the SMBIOS page (second image), taking them from those you have in use for your computer.

Bye...

1.jpeg
2.jpeg

Attachments