Contribute
Register

Stork's MyHero II Build: ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z370 HERO X - i7-8700K - AMD RX 580 - Thunderbolt 3

@ed.stein, I've not had that problem. I recommend you update to OC latest version as your version is old (almost a year old).

Gents, could you please share your EFi folder. My SSD seems to be dead and i can't find my last backup that is built on top of OpenCore. I have plenty old Clover configs saved, no one of them works event with Catalina. I tried few EFi folders from this thread, and wasn't able event boot macOS installer. I need to make work done and have no time to build EFi folder from scratch. Please save me!

Gents, could you please share your EFi folder. My SSD seems to be dead and i can't find my last backup that is built on top of OpenCore. I have plenty old Clover configs saved, no one of them works event with Catalina. I tried few EFi folders from this thread, and wasn't able event boot macOS installer. I need to make work done and have no time to build EFi folder from scratch. Please save me!
the guide is in post 1.....

the guide is in post 1.....
Unfortunately, Post #1 Installation instructions are out of date. Unfortunately (part 2), I no longer have this system.

Hi @Stork I still need to thank you for this super helpful build description, I've built it twice, for my brother (still on Clover) and me (OpenCore). I don't think you can get much more bang for the buck.

Today I managed to get my Thunderbolt Focusrite Clarett 2pre working and I feel the need to describe what my essence of a great deal of fiddling is, in case anyone else has similar aspirations.

So apart from flashing my Titan Ridge 1.0 with the Designare NVM33 firmware and shorting the header cable this is what else I had to figure out:

This sequence is the simplest that I was able to determine to make the 2pre work:

1. Turn off the computer and disconnect the Thunderbolt adapter and plug it back in. (I'm quite sure this is necessary as sometimes simply turning the computer off wouldn't work.)
  2. Start up the computer with my Thunderbolt hard drive connected via an Apple TB3 to TB2 adapter. The drive does not appear in the Finder.
  3. Warm restart the computer to find the drive appearing. This is the preparation for connecting the 2pre. If I connect the 2pre any earlier I get a freeze or instant reboot of macOS.
  4. Eject the hard drive and disconnect it.
  5. Turn off the 2pre and connect it to the TB adapter
  6. Make sure that the Apple Music app is not running.
  7. Turn on the 2pre. (Still not working. Don't try to see if you can play music, because you'll have to start over because it will refuse to work from then on.)
  8. Put the computer into hibernation. (Suspend to disk with the relay in the power supply clicking, I use the DeepSleep widget that I have dragged into the task bar for this.)
  9. Wake the computer from hibernation.
  10. The interface works from then on, microphone amplification, Focusrite Control Software and all. You can even turn the 2pre off and on again.

If anyone is interested in the logs of the various crashes that can happen in this process in order to fix the (whichever) software, I'd be happy to help. I have attached a crash report of the crash that happens when you connect the 2pre directly without connecting the hard drive first.

As to the BIOS settings: I have CSM and VT-d enabled, I'm not sure if that is required.

Attachments

• Clarett2preCrash.rtf.zip
    2.9 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:
Has anyone with this build upgraded to Ventura ?
I did a few weeks ago and it works kinda ok, besides some sporadic issues waking up from sleep (not really reproducibles, most of the times it can sleep and wake up normally) and a very weird thing happening on boot:
Progress bar goes 1/3 in, then monitor goes blank (but output is active since monitor doesn't switch off) then it stays some 30seconds like this blinking the drive led and then the progressbar resumes normally and boots in some 5 seconds.
tried verbose mode but i couldn't really grasp some useful info.. console messages goes on until the screen goes blank and exactly same behaviour.

Opencore 0.8.7 , Lilu / WhateverGreen / AppleALC latest
I've had some issues with longer boots on 12.1 and got the fixed by disabling TRIM, since my drive not fully support it.
Still i can't even get to disable trim on 13.1, even though i'm not sure it's the culprit i'd have liked to try it.
SetApfsTrimTimeout = 0 / sudo trimforce disable does not help

Any suggestions ?

@beatnaph
... besides some sporadic issues waking up from sleep

I use the application SleepAid from Ohanaware to monitor sleep behaviour. That software is surprisingly sophisticated. It shows what's keeping the computer from idle sleep in real time for example. (I'm not affiliated.)
Recently my HacIntosh was kept awake by audio processes (probably Youtube) in Safari. Restarting Safari solved it.

and a very weird thing happening on boot:
Progress bar goes 1/3 in, then monitor goes blank (but output is active since monitor doesn't switch off) then it stays some 30seconds like this blinking the drive led and then the progressbar resumes normally and boots in some 5 seconds.

That sounds familiar although my blank time is shorter (5 seconds) in my case (still) on Monterey. I think it has to do with graphics switching. I've had this in all my previous installations, they all had discrete graphics as second graphics.

Thanks for the tip about SleepAid, I will give it a try and see if I can track down what's occasionally giving me issues.

About the graphic switching, I'm used to the short switch like you mentioned, but in this case it was taking some 30 seconds of blank idle active screen after the switch. I swapped my main Samsung 970 with a 970 Plus (which supports TRIM) and as suspected the issue is gone, so it was definitely about the disk.

Hello to everyone, a fast passage more to say hello than other things. few days ago my config (that is equivalent to the one in this thread), after a backup, updated to Ventura (a bit early respect to .3 release) with the same EFI in Monterey (updated last Clover and last fundamental kext). Nothing different in behaviour, all is as before.
I decided to upgrade after reading a Tonymacx86 post in Ventura guide forum.
Hope that can be useful to the undecided with this hardware.
Cheers.

Back