Contribute
Register

Stork's MyHero II Build: ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z370 HERO X - i7-8700K - AMD RX 580 - Thunderbolt 3

@Stork @CaseySJ @Feartech I found a store nearby that has the RX550 in stock. Do you think I'd need to change anything in config.plist for that one to work? I guess my only concern would be the framebuffer since the RX580 is 256bits and the RX550 is 128. I'm heading there in less than 2 hours. If you can, please let me know your thoughts. I'm also researching about it.
The RX550 is plug and play. No changes needed in config.plist.

@CaseySJ I just came back from the store. It's working! I was just robbed, sorry I meant just purchased the RX550 for 30% more than what I paid for the RX580 in 2019. Both stores I called were amazed that the RX580 was dead in such a short time being that I don't play games nor do I use it for mining, only for video output... I guess I'm just "lucky".

Anyway, I'm very happy I have my computer back and can finally work again. The only problem is that my secondary monitor is purple. But I remember reading something about that and will look for a fix. Thank you all for your help during these distressing times!

EDIT: Fixed it the easiest way, instead of changing the config.plist I switched my DVI/HDMI cable for a VGA one. Since the secondary monitor is only 1080p that won't be an issue. And it is 1999 again!

Attachments

• B9E922A5-A590-4081-8733-1C3761E7A0AC.jpeg
    B9E922A5-A590-4081-8733-1C3761E7A0AC.jpeg
    3.8 MB · Views: 46
  • B13195D2-045F-4A89-8950-277BA0C49D49.jpeg
    B13195D2-045F-4A89-8950-277BA0C49D49.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 43
Last edited:
@CaseySJ I just came back from the store. It's working! I was just robbed, sorry I meant just purchased the RX550 for 30% more than what I paid for the RX580 in 2019. ...
LOL, I know the feeling! Glad to hear the new card works.

I just successfully installed macOS Monterey on my computer. Everything seems to working so far just working on installing Windows 11 to work with Bootcamp.

Specs:
Cpu: AMD 5600G
Motherboard: Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX(rev. 1)
GPU: ASUS Strix RX570 OC
RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengence LPX

I just successfully installed macOS Monterey on my computer. Everything seems to working so far just working on installing Windows 11 to work with Bootcamp.

Specs:
Cpu: AMD 5600G
Motherboard: Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX(rev. 1)
GPU: ASUS Strix RX570 OC
RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengence LPX
Why did you post in this thread your success with Monterey considering your system is AMD based and my system is Intel based?

Only a little visit here to say hello to everyone, especially to "Father" Stork and "Uncle" Tony. :beachball:

Hi to everyone,
leave here an info for who need to know if upgrade this configuration to 12.3 is safe.
My system is a little different by the original in this thread, but everything is not influencing, until now.
Updated with EFI that is not different by last used to get Monterey 12.0.1.
In that EFI Clover is updated to last (5146) and ALC+Lilu+WTG are updated to last directly from Clover Configurator.
Update was smooth and fast with classics more than one reboots and until now (with some little tests) nothing is changed in available stuffs (but some important for my usage is :)).
If I discover something problematic I will inform here.
Bye

Hello everyone!

I have this build and yesterday updated succesfully to Monterey 12.3 from Big Sur.

Previously updated OpenCore to 0.79 and the latest Lilu/Whatever/Alc/etc and did a full mirror backup to a second NVME using CCC "legacy bootable copy", which was something i didn't tested yet and i can confirm works perfectly replicating the os/data/recovery structure on the main drive: the only thing to care about is copying your actual EFI to the mirrored disk EFI if you want a completely independent boot drive.

Everything went smooth at first glance, but boot time exploded considerably, from < 30sec to few minutes.
After a bit of inspection with verbose mode, i tracked it down to Monterey performing a series of trim on the NVMEs during boot which repeteadly ends into timeouts and presents itself on the next boot.

To restore the original boot speed i followed the advice on dortania Opencore manual
"On macOS 12+, it is no longer possible to specify trim timeout for APFS filesystems. However, it can be disabled by setting 0."

So changing this value to 0 restored the normal boot speed but i'm wondering at which cost ?

If i check into system report i still see both disks reporting "TRIM Support: Yes", but afaik trim does get performed during boot from osx, so in the end i suspect the disk is not being trimmed at all.

Any suggestions / feedbacks ??
Thanks in advance

Last edited:
Hello everyone!

I have this build and yesterday updated succesfully to Monterey 12.3 from Big Sur.

Previously updated OpenCore to 0.79 and the latest Lilu/Whatever/Alc/etc and did a full mirror backup to a second NVME using CCC "legacy bootable copy", which was something i didn't tested yet and i can confirm works perfectly replicating the os/data/recovery structure on the main drive: the only thing to care about is copying your actual EFI to the mirrored disk EFI if you want a completely independent boot drive.

Everything went smooth at first glance, but boot time exploded considerably, from < 30sec to few minutes.
After a bit of inspection with verbose mode, i tracked it down to Monterey performing a series of trim on the NVMEs during boot which repeteadly ends into timeouts and presents itself on the next boot.

To restore the original boot speed i followed the advice on dortania Opencore manual
"On macOS 12+, it is no longer possible to specify trim timeout for APFS filesystems. However, it can be disabled by setting 0."

So changing this value to 0 restored the normal boot speed but i'm wondering at which cost ?

If i check into system report i still see both disks reporting "TRIM Support: Yes", but afaik trim does get performed during boot from osx, so in the end i suspect the disk is not being trimmed at all.

Any suggestions / feedbacks ??
Thanks in advance

Hi there.

This is a well-known problem with Monterey.

Please see this thread:

https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/general-nvme-drive-problems-fatal.316546/unread

Back