Contribute
Register

Stork's MyHero II Build: ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z370 HERO X - i7-8700K - AMD RX 580 - Thunderbolt 3

Hi Stork. MacOS 11.3 is almost here. I'm thinking of installing it. Right now I'm in Mojave 14.6. Do you recommend the update? Are you planning to do it in this build in the near future?
Yes. Yes. However, let's see what the first users have to say about 11.3. I've got Big Sur 11.2.2 on a test drive. I like it on my 4K monitor as the text is much crisper and easy to read.

For anyone interested, I have successfully updated direct from last Mojave to current version of Big Sur with no issues whatsoever. Still using Clover (latest version 5132) but with all Acidanthera kexts, and just ran the update straight from the Sys Prefs software update.

Install took a LONG time with several reboots along the way. I made sure to unhide and select the 'preboot' partition for Big Sur after install (the same as OpenCore uses). I am pleased to say it has been rock solid for a week since. @Stork you will be happy to hear that the flashed Thunderbolt still works perfectly as well with the SSDT!

I am about to make the final migration to Big Sur. Personally have found the system as a whole faster and easier to OpenCore update than Catalina which kept throwing out strange boot problems.

Today will be the final test, in that, if 10.4 update occurs simply Big Sur will be migrated from a test SSD onto my main NVMe boot drive (which is still Mojave).

EDIT - Success with the update.

Last edited:
I'm waiting for Stork's update MyHero II. I'm still in Mojave.

@marmac I wish I could've stayed on Mojave... pretty stable. But I'm a software engineer... sometimes (like now) I'm forced to update.

Alrighty!

Successfully updated to 11.4!

It was pretty easy, I just updated opencore from 0.6.0 to 0.7.0 (actually the "hardest" part - read boring) and then used Apple's update. It restarted twice already selecting the installer boot option and a third time selecting the macOS boot option. The whole process didn't take longer than 30min.

EDIT:
One positive thing I noticed right out of the gate, was that memory and CPU consumption lowered considerably from 10.15.7. Hopefully 11.4 is a stable version...

Previously, my RAM usage would range from 17-20GB, now it's beetween 13-14GB. Not sure if something is still not running, too soon to tell, but hopefully it's just stable.

1624016157390.png

Last edited:
@marmac I wish I could've stayed on Mojave... pretty stable. But I'm a software engineer... sometimes (like now) I'm forced to update.

Alrighty!

Successfully updated to 11.4!

It was pretty easy, I just updated opencore from 0.6.0 to 0.7.0 (actually the "hardest" part - read boring) and then used apple's update. It restarted twice already selecting the installer boot option and a third time selecting the macOS boot option. The whole process didn't take longer than 30min.

EDIT:
One positive thing I noticed right out of the gate, was that memory and CPU consumption lowered considerably from 10.15.7. Hopefully 11.4 is a stable version...

Previously, my ram usage would range from 17-20GB, now it's beetween 13-14GB. Not sure if something is still not running, too soon to tell, but hopefully it's just stable.

View attachment 522066
may we ask you your EFI? or just config.plist ?
please.

may we ask you your EFI? or just config.plist ?
Ed has a completely different CPU and motherboard than you do. Wouldn't be of much use to you.

Back