Contribute
Register

Stork's MyHero II Build: ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z370 HERO X - i7-8700K - AMD RX 580 - Thunderbolt 3

Gang, I'm using the Sabrent Rocket SSDs in my Thunderball II build. I've heard good review of the Sabrent Rocket series and @CaseySJ uses them, too.

@Simon70 , @c0c0p0ps or anyone that moved to OC :D
Here https://dortania.github.io/OpenCore-Install-Guide/config.plist/coffee-lake.html#acpi they say the SSDT-PMC is not required for our MB (Z370):

Still, @Simon70 , that file is present in the package you shared with your EFI. Also, here https://dortania.github.io/OpenCore-Install-Guide/config.plist/coffee-lake.html#booter it says EnableWriteUnprotector should be false, while yours is true.

I'm only asking so I know what I'm doing, it's not to criticize anything, just learn.

Any reason for those?
Am not on OpenCore yet, but on the latest clover which has a lot of openCore embedded these are the Quirks I am booting with for this board on Mojave -

Attachments

• Screenshot 2020-12-22 at 18.27.11.png
    Screenshot 2020-12-22 at 18.27.11.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 48
Hi everyone!
I was able to migrate to OC. I'm on macOS 10.15.7 and OC 0.6.4.
So far, so good. Booting time is ok and everything seems to be working properly (so far). My only problem *remains* the spotlight search. While I was on Mojave I never had that problem, but ever since I migrated to Catalina if I open the spotlight search and type something simple like "50*5" the CPU goes crazy! I thought it was a faulty update, but since I've reinstalled everything from scratch and the error persists, there might be something else I'm not seeing...

After all this time, now I'm going to try dual booting again (it's supposed to be easy with OC).

Done!
Windows 10 installed using dual boot. The process was pretty smooth.
The only problem I noticed is that one of my monitors is flickering on Windows even after installing the RX 580 driver. Also, since my mouse is Bluetooth, I have to reconnect to each OS on every switch... :/

EDIT:
Apparently, I'm not the only one with the spotlight issue https://discussions.apple.com/thread/251263130

It seems to have been introduced on 10.15.3, hence why I though it was on catalina, since I migrated to catalina on v10.15.4. Reports suggest it was fixed on Big Sur.

Last edited:
Hi @law94air,
I use the Fenvi T919 PCIe adaptor, which seems always work like a native AirPort card. My USB ports work same way as they did in Catalina. I don't use a USBPorts.kext like some other, I use an ACPI aml. With this aml, internal ports are enabled! I need one for Fenvi and one to control my Corsair AIO water cooling. So maybe you have to work on your own USB config.

The EFI credits go to @Simon70: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...ero-x-i7-8700k-amd-rx-580.245074/post-2171146

But for sure, here is my EFI. :)
Hello,

Can you please share with me your BIOS settings? I'm having some trouble with that currently while trying to install Big Sur...
Thanks a lot!

@CaseySJ, I decided to move the Titian Ridge adoption questions to this thread since this is the system in which it is installed.

Cool!

I do not see the GC-Titan Ridge in IOReg. Is the card installed along with the jumper wire between the top and middle pins?
The Jumper that came with the card did not have the pins pushed in all the way, go figure. So, we now have an IOReg with TB3 recognized.

Attachments

• Stork's MyHero II.ioreg.zip
    7.2 MB · Views: 43
@CaseySJ, I decided to move the Titian Ridge adoption questions to this thread since this is the system in which it is installed.

The Jumper that came with the card did not have the pins pushed in all the way, go figure. So, we now have an IOReg with TB3 recognized.
Please try the attached Thunderbolt SSDT and companion DTPG:
  • SSDT-TB3-HackinDROM.aml
  • SSDT-DTPG.aml
After rebooting we can take another look at the IOReg file.

Attachments

• SSDT-TB3-HackinDROM.aml
    2.2 KB · Views: 43
  • SSDT-DTPG.aml
    100 bytes · Views: 46
@CaseySJ,

Progress. I can in the SysPref > Network that we have a TB entry. But the TB3 OWC dock doesn't work yet as I have a USB thumb drive plugged in which doesn't show up on the Desktop.

Still on Clover and Mojave for this effort. I will update to OC once you can help me get the TR card to work.

Thanks again for all your help.

Attachments

• MyHeroII SysPref Network.png
    MyHeroII SysPref Network.png
    495.9 KB · Views: 41
  • Stork's MyHero II.ioreg
    25.2 MB · Views: 35
    7.2 MB · Views: 42
@CaseySJ,

Progress. I can in the SysPref > Network that we have a TB entry. But the TB3 OWC dock doesn't work yet as I have a USB thumb drive plugged in which doesn't show up on the Desktop.

Still on Clover and Mojave for this effort. I will update to OC once you can help me get the TR card to work.

Thanks again for all your help.
Hi @Stork

Thunderbolt configuration is finally correct and working. Thunderbolt switch at Port 7 is also active. However, the OWC Dock is not fully "materialized" in IOReg:

Screen Shot 2021-01-05 at 10.02.04 AM.png

Please try the following:
  • Reboot the system with OWC Dock already connected.
  • Does the OWC Dock work after the reboot?
  • Please post screenshot of System Information --> Thunderbolt with the OWC Dock connected.
  • Are you using the 14-port Thunderbolt 3 dock or the 12-port version?

Hi @Stork...
Please try the following:
  • Reboot the system with OWC Dock already connected.
  • Does the OWC Dock work after the reboot?
  • Please post screenshot of System Information --> Thunderbolt with the OWC Dock connected.
  • Are you using the 14-port Thunderbolt 3 dock or the 12-port version?
I rebooted the system, and it appears to work. No hot-plugging needed. Plugging in another USB thumb drive in the dock caused the USB thumb drive to appear on the Desktop.

The SysPref Network has a lot more Thunderbolt and Ethernet available.

Amazing! System Information --> Thunderbolt has even the Thunderbolt Bus showing up!

The OWC that I grabbed to use for this testing is an older OWC TB3 13 port dock that I got form my 2017 MBP.

I think we have a working TB3 TR card. Where can I learn what you did? How can I do it in the future? Is there a guide that you'd recommend?

Attachments

• MyHeroII SysPref>Network.png
    MyHeroII SysPref>Network.png
    124.7 KB · Views: 57
  • MyHeroII SysReport >TB.png
    MyHeroII SysReport >TB.png
    870.6 KB · Views: 57
    7.6 MB · Views: 46
Back