Contribute
Register

Stork's MyHero II Build: ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z370 HERO X - i7-8700K - AMD RX 580 - Thunderbolt 3

mac.jpeg

I have another issue where I finally was able to install High Sierra. When the computer restarts and tries to load the freshly installed OS...it gets stuck at the 90% mark every time.

I successfully installed the OS WITHOUT my graphics card. But it was really buggy. I reformatted it and tried to start new WITH the graphics card (Sapphire RX 580 Pulse 8GB). Now I'm having this issue.

@jasonbourne, Please boot in the verbose (-v) mode and post a picture of where it gets stuck. @pastrychef and I will try to help.

BTW, are you using the latest hackintosh kexts? (Luli, AppleALC, Whatevergren, etc.)

So I took the graphics card out. Booted into the OS...and then from there I was able to finish up the process of using MultiBeast to make the final configurations and installing the kexts. Then I installed the graphics card, and it booted fine. I'm using the latest kext files. I installed AppleALC through MultibBeast. I assume it's the latest...

However, now it's saying I have no WiFi hardware installed. It was working before I added my graphics card. I double checked and it's seated properly...

So I took the graphics card out. Booted into the OS...and then from there I was able to finish up the process of using MultiBeast to make the final configurations and installing the kexts. Then I installed the graphics card, and it booted fine. I'm using the latest kext files. I installed AppleALC through MultibBeast. I assume it's the latest...

However, now it's saying I have no WiFi hardware installed. It was working before I added my graphics card. I double checked and it's seated properly...

What kind of Wi-Fi card are you using?

The recommended one in the build. The Fenvi FV-T919 WiFi/Bluetooth 4 PCIe Card

Thank you ! Changing ECO to EC did the trick for me,
Here's my Clover/kexts/other folder;
Kind regards

A rename of the EC on this board or any desktop is really not a good way to set up as written in the SSDT-EC-USBX guide -

* Try NOT to rename EC0, H_EC, etc. to EC.
* These devices are incompatible with macOS and may break
* at any time. AppleACPIEC kext must NOT load.
* See the disable code below.
DefinitionBlock ("", "SSDT", 2, "ACDT", "SsdtEC", 0x00001000)
{
External (_SB_.PCI0.LPCB, DeviceObj)
/*
* Uncomment replacing EC0 with your own value in case your
* motherboard has an existing embedded controller of PNP0C09 type.
* While renaming EC0 to EC might potentially work initially,
* it connects an incompatible driver (AppleACPIEC) to your hardware.
* This can make your system unbootable at any time or hide bugs that
* could trigger randomly

Take a clean dump of the DSDT from clover during boot up, download SSDTTime from CorpNewt and drop the DSDT from ACPI/origin onto that and it will give you a proper EC patch to add to the SSDT-EC-USBX.

This board like a few ASUS boards has a weird anomaly where it actually has 2 embedded controllers at EC0 and H_EC, and the SSDTTime script identifies them both and correctly makes sure that they are disabled so AppleACPIEC does not load.

I am still running on Mojave myself, but try and keep my system running as efficiently as possible so I will have no issues for the upgrade to Catalina, and eventual switch to OpenCore.

A rename of the EC on this board or any desktop is really not a good way to set up as written in the SSDT-EC-USBX guide -

* Try NOT to rename EC0, H_EC, etc. to EC.
* These devices are incompatible with macOS and may break
* at any time. AppleACPIEC kext must NOT load.
* See the disable code below.
DefinitionBlock ("", "SSDT", 2, "ACDT", "SsdtEC", 0x00001000)
{
External (_SB_.PCI0.LPCB, DeviceObj)
/*
* Uncomment replacing EC0 with your own value in case your
* motherboard has an existing embedded controller of PNP0C09 type.
* While renaming EC0 to EC might potentially work initially,
* it connects an incompatible driver (AppleACPIEC) to your hardware.
* This can make your system unbootable at any time or hide bugs that
* could trigger randomly

Take a clean dump of the DSDT from clover during boot up, download SSDTTime from CorpNewt and drop the DSDT from ACPI/origin onto that and it will give you a proper EC patch to add to the SSDT-EC-USBX.

This board like a few ASUS boards has a weird anomaly where it actually has 2 embedded controllers at EC0 and H_EC, and the SSDTTime script identifies them both and correctly makes sure that they are disabled so AppleACPIEC does not load.

I am still running on Mojave myself, but try and keep my system running as efficiently as possible so I will have no issues for the upgrade to Catalina, and eventual switch to OpenCore.

Thnx !
That makes sense, I'll try that.
Any advice how to take a clean dump of the DSDT from clover during boot ?
Thans again for helping out,

Chimiel

Thnx !
That makes sense, I'll try that.
Any advice how to take a clean dump of the DSDT from clover during boot ?
Thans again for helping out,

Chimiel
Press F4 when you get to the Clover boot screen. It is also available from one of the clover menus as well but can't remember which off the top of my head... Mount your EFI, and you will see everything in Clover/ACPI/Origin.

You then just drop the DSDT on to SSDTTime while it is open and it will find everything for you and output the EC patches needed in its results folder. You can then paste those correct values for your system into your SSDT-EC-USBX.dsl and save the compiled .aml to Clover/ACPI/patched. Reboot and you should now only have one EC visible in IORegistry Explorer.

Press F4 when you get to the Clover boot screen. It is also available from one of the clover menus as well but can't remember which off the top of my head... Mount your EFI, and you will see everything in Clover/ACPI/Origin.

You then just drop the DSDT on to SSDTTime while it is open and it will find everything for you and output the EC patches needed in its results folder. You can then paste those correct values for your system into your SSDT-EC-USBX.dsl and save the compiled .aml to Clover/ACPI/patched. Reboot and you should now only have one EC visible in IORegistry Explorer.

Hi there,
I followed this guide before, I did not only rename ECO to EC, I also copied the SSDT-USBX.aml attached to the post below, to EFI/CLOVER/ACPI/patched. After reboot, IOregistry Explorer and System Information / USB showed attached outputs.
What are your thoughts on this ? Do you reckon this method is sufficient or cause sooner or later the problems you mentioned before ?
Kind regards,

Chimiel

Thank you for the findings and for writing this guide RehabMan, I could make it work on my build! :clap:

I wrote a shorter guide for beginners not familiar with Hackintosh topics and the common inspector tools we use:
  • 1.) You can read "ioreg" several places but I cannot find a link or description at post #1 what ioreg actually is... So if you're wondering how you can view ioreg, there is an application called IORegistryExplorer (version 2.1 !), which you can download from here: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/guide-how-to-make-a-copy-of-ioreg.58368/ If you open it up it will show you a list in alphabetical order.. Look for the name "EC" (Embedded Controller), it will be before the FAN labels... If you can find the element called "EC" in there, continue with step 5.)
  • 2.) If the "EC" element is not there in the IORegistryExplorer, you need to check if you have EC0 or the H_EC name (or neither) under the hood in so called ACPI. There is another application to check that: MaciASL. It's also not mentioned in post #1, you can download it from here: RehabMan / OS-X-MaciASL-patchmatic / Downloads — Bitbucket. Open it up, press Command + F, and search for these terms: "Device (H_EC)" and "Device (EC0)". You will hopefully find the H_EC or the EC0 code block (not both). Don't bother with the meaning of the code you see, you don't have to understand it. There will be a code block in a few lines down, starting with "Method (_STA, ....". If you see a "Return (Zero)" in this {} block, then it means it's ignored as per post #1.
    So what we done in this step: You have to check if you have EC0 or H_EC device or neither in MaciASL. If you find EC0 or H_EC you need to check if it's ignored: "Return (Zero)" or not. Remember your findings...
  • 3.) Now you know what you have under the hood...
    • If you didn't have EC0 or H_EC device or it's returning Zero in method _STA, then you need to copy the file SSDT-EC.aml (attached to this post) to your main macOS drive's EFI partition, under EFI/CLOVER/ACPI/patched.
    • If you have found the EC0 or H_EC device in IORegistryExplorer and it's not returning Zero in method _STA, then you need to add a Clover config patch in EFI/CLOVER/config.plist to rename "EC0 to EC" or "H_EC to EC". Choose which one you have. The patch can be seen in post #1, under the title: "Insuring AppleBusPowerControllerUSB loads". In the picture, the config.plist file was opened in an application called Xcode, available free from the Mac App Store.
  • 4.) Restart you PC. Once macOS is loaded, open IORegistryExplorer again and check weather you see EC in the list. If "EC" shows up, everything is fine, continue with step 5.) If the name "EC" is still not there in IORegistryExplorer, start it over from 1.), more carefully.
  • 5.) Check your system definition in a built in macOS app called "System Information". Under the "Hardware Overview" section, you can find your system definition at "Model identifier", for example: iMac 18,3
    • If you have newer system definition than Macbook8,1 or MacBookAir7,2 or MacBookPro12,1 or MacPro6,1 or MacMini7,1 or iMac15,2 THEN copy the file SSDT-USBX.aml (attached to this post) to your main macOS drive's EFI partition, under EFI/CLOVER/ACPI/patched.
    • If you use one of the system def listed above or older, then you have nothing to do, continue with step 6.)
  • 6.) Restart your PC. Once macOS is loaded, plug in an iPhone or iPad to your Hackintosh with a USB cable. Open System Information app and choose the "USB" section from the left sidebar. Click on the iPhone or iPad in the list. If you can see all 4 lines you're won! ;)
    • Current Available (mA):
    • Current Required (mA):
    • Extra Operating Current (mA):
    • Sleep current (mA):
If all 4 lines are there, it's the obvious indicator of working USB power under macOS.​
Hope this post will help others to understand the process described in post #1.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2020-02-28 at 14.08.44.png
    Screenshot 2020-02-28 at 14.08.44.png
    315.1 KB · Views: 53
  • Screenshot 2020-02-28 at 14.16.42.png
    Screenshot 2020-02-28 at 14.16.42.png
    199.8 KB · Views: 48
Back