Contribute
Register

Stork's MyHero II Build: ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z370 HERO X - i7-8700K - AMD RX 580 - Thunderbolt 3

Is your configuration the same that Stork published in this thread?
I see in your profile that the motherboard is the wi-fi version, and apart from that, how does it differ?
I'm curious to understand why the EFI I use doesn't work for you: can you publish yours in use, to be able to compare them?

Yes i Have the same board as Stork. Here is my EFI. Can you run a Geekbench test on yours and let me know what you are getting? I cant figure out why these are so low when on High Sierra I was getting single cores of 6219 and multi cores at 28318

Attachments

• law94air EFI.zip
    13.5 MB · Views: 67
Yes i Have the same board as Stork. Here is my EFI. Can you run a Geekbench test on yours and let me know what you are getting? I cant figure out why these are so low when on High Sierra I was getting single cores of 6219 and multi cores at 28318

Problem solved thanks to PastryChef - I was using Geekbench 5 which uses a new scoring system and my other tests were with Geekbench 4.

Single

Multi

OpenCL

I don't like Geekbench and I don't use it, I don't know why, but it never convinced me. Anyway I got somewhere (I don't remember if from youtube or anything else) the information that Geekbench recently (perhaps in the change of release) has changed a lot the scores it releases and down compared to the past, so I would not want the your past/present comparison suffers from this variation of Geekbench.
Let me know if you find that the cause of the difference you find is due to something written above.
In my tests with Cinebench20 (done with several windows open, for a 10% overall base CPU load and with the task manager running to see the actual work of the processor for each process) the Cinebench process uses the CPU for about 1040% (in multicore of course) and the result is in line with the comparative table, that is, quite above a 7700K and very little below a Xeon E5 2697 v2.
The RX580, tested with Unigine Heaven Benchmark 4.0, seems to me to do even a little better than it does on the Windows side (although I did the tests a long time ago and therefore I can't remember exactly).
Let me know the results you get with Cinebench20 and Unigine if you take the tests.

Bye ...

Problem solved thanks to PastryChef - I was using Geekbench 5 which uses a new scoring system and my other tests were with Geekbench 4.

Single

Multi

OpenCL

So it was like I thought ...
I didn't refresh the page before replying and when I posted I found these new posts ...

Good to know...

OK Simon or anyone else - Have you managed to get Sidecar to work?

If you are with SMBIOS 19.1 Sidecar it must work.
Check that in the BIOS there is the iGPU enabled with the item that appears above set in "Auto".
Then, if it doesn't work with WiFi, try with the USB cable.
If you need it, try also a restart of the iPAD and the PC and then maybe take a look at what is in the Catalina forum (maybe doing a search with "Sidecar") to see if you find something that you have not yet fixed.

Yes i Have the same board as Stork. Here is my EFI.

Probably your EFI is the result of continuous adjustments since the High Sierra times and therefore carries many things with it. Comparing it to mine (also in the config.plist) there are a lot of settings and kext that I don't seem to need here.

I like to keep the EFI as minimal as possible and therefore with every change of OS I try to remove what does not seem to be needed and add what is indispensable (for example before being able to install the first beta of Catalina I had to study a lot before understand that the SSDT-EC was indispensable. Catalina beta was available for a few days and no one yet spoke of the need for that SSDT, which obviously on the EFI of Mojave that I still use, is not there), I should also remove the USB limit patch of mojave from here and sooner or later I will decide to do it. I used the NoVPAJpeg for a while but then when I realized that I didn't need it, I removed it, I don't keep kext in L / E anymore, etc ...

When Clover eliminated the 32bit drivers I took a tour of the remaining drivers (because at some point AptioMemoryFix had also been retired and I went first for the famous dangerous 2000 and then also for OsxAptioFix3Drv, and then return to the current one ), changing it by putting some in place of others. Obviously doing all the tests and changes on Catalina and always keeping Mojave, who was still fully active and official, with his good EFI working and safe.

Now Mojave is still in SMBIOS 1.1 with its EFI modified only in reduction, where possible.

It is of great help that NVMe SSDs load the system in seconds and so experimenting is less heavy ...

What I use is my first hack and I must say that Stork's guide for this build is practically perfect, very clear and detailed (I didn't have any hitch in the first installation, I almost didn't believe it when Mojave started, after hearing, before deciding, around a thousand problems to solve to make a Hackintosh), the little things I know today are mainly due to the reading of this forum, also often looking at issues that do not concern me.

I have not tried to start with your EFI, but if I do, I will let you know the differences that I will eventually find, beyond obviously to tell you if it will work ..

Probably your EFI is the result of continuous adjustments since the High Sierra times and therefore carries many things with it.
Comparing it to mine (also in the config.plist) there are a lot of settings and kext that I don't seem to need here.
I like to keep the EFI as minimal as possible and therefore with every change of OS I try to remove what does not seem to be needed and add what is indispensable (for example before being able to install the first beta of Catalina I had to study a lot before understand that the SSDT-EC was indispensable. Catalina beta was available for a few days and no one yet spoke of the need for that SSDT, which obviously on the EFI of Mojave that I still use, is not there), I should also remove the USB limit patch of mojave from here and sooner or later I will decide to do it. I used the NoVPAJpeg for a while but then when I realized that I didn't need it, I removed it, I don't keep kext in L / E anymore, etc ...
When Clover eliminated the 32bit drivers I took a tour of the remaining drivers (because at some point AptioMemoryFix had also been retired and I went first for the famous dangerous 2000 and then also for OsxAptioFix3Drv, and then return to the current one ), changing it by putting some in place of others. Obviously doing all the tests and changes on Catalina and always keeping Mojave, who was still fully active and official, with his good EFI working and safe.
Now Mojave is still in SMBIOS 1.1 with its EFI modified only in reduction, where possible.
It is of great help that NVME SSDs load the system in seconds and so experimenting is less heavy ...
What I use is my first hack and I must say that Stork's guide for this build is practically perfect, very clear and detailed (I didn't have any hitch in the first installation, I almost didn't believe it when Mojave started, after hearing, before deciding, around a thousand problems to solve to make a Hackintosh), the little things I know today are mainly due to the reading of this forum, also often looking at issues that do not concern me.
I have not tried to start with your EFI, but if I do, I will let you know the differences that I will eventually find, beyond obvi obviously to tell you if it will work ..

Thanks, Simon! I appreciate your help!

Last edited:
Upgrade with MSI Radeon VII on Catalina?

Hello everyone and happy 2020.

Can this upgrade be done on this build without risk of problems or need to compromise?

I have already asked the question in more general terms on the forum dedicated to Catalina, but I would be pleased to know the opinion of @Stork (father of this configuration) and @pastrychef (who uses a Radeon VII and is also the curator of golden builds), if not it is too much trouble. Obviously if there is someone who has already upgraded on this build, it could be of great help for suggestions as well as any file sharing.

Thank you

I have not upgraded MyHero II to Catalina due to lack of replacement for my 32bit apps. (Catalina requires 64bit apps.) However, @pastrychef can answer your question. But, I sure your Radeon VII will work in both Mojave (10.14.6) and Catalina from what I've read. Good luck!

Back