Contribute
Register

Stork's MyHero II Build: ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z370 HERO X - i7-8700K - AMD RX 580 - Thunderbolt 3

Hello, I've been using this build for a bit more than a year now, everything is perfect except for a recent problem which is bothering me..

The USB-C connector (ASMedia) on the motherboard works correctly if i put an USB-C hub in it and then plug some USB devices. BUT, I cannot connect a new MacBook Pro using an USB-C cable using target disk mode. The disk just won't show up, and even in IoREgistryExplorer seems like nothing happens when I try to connect the MacBook.

I'm on Mojave 10.14.6, and tried both with the USB-C cable supplied with the MacBook and with another one (USB-C, no thunderbolt).
I'm suspecting that I will need a Thunderbolt 3 cable even if the connector on the ASUS is only a USB-C, at least that's what I understand from double checking Apple website https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201462
Anyone have experience with this?

Last edited:
Hello, I've been using this build for a bit more than a year now, everything is perfect except for a recent problem which is bothering me..

The USB-C connector (ASMedia) on the motherboard works correctly if i put an USB-C hub in it and then plug some USB devices. BUT, I cannot connect a new MacBook Pro using an USB-C cable using target disk mode. The disk just won't show up, and even in IoREgistryExplorer seems like nothing happens when I try to connect the MacBook.

I'm on Mojave 10.14.6, and tried both with the USB-C cable supplied with the MacBook and with another one (USB-C, no thunderbolt).
I'm suspecting that I will need a Thunderbolt 3 cable even if the connector on the ASUS is only a USB-C, at least that's what I understand from double checking Apple website https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201462
Although I haven't connected my MBP to MyHero II, I think you're right about using a TB3 cable.

Sorry. I've never tried this...

@Stork , @pastrychef thanks for your feedback. Now that I have a Thunderbolt 3 cable in my hands, I can confirm.
Target Disk Mode works perfectly if connected with a TB3 cable to the USB-C of the Asus Maximus X. MacBook starts up with both TB3 and USB icons floating around the screen, then finds out that the destination port only supports USB 3.0 and displays only the corresponding icon.

Hi Stork, I tried searching through the thread to see if this has been answered, but do you have any recommendations for an alternate motherboard for this build? This will be my first hackintosh, so I've been planning on using your build exactly and this thread for help, but the X Hero you've linked isn't available anymore. I'm assuming the wi-fi version of the X Hero would cause issues, or would it be fine to use? Thank you!

Hi Stork, I tried searching through the thread to see if this has been answered, but do you have any recommendations for an alternate motherboard for this build? This will be my first hackintosh, so I've been planning on using your build exactly and this thread for help, but the X Hero you've linked isn't available anymore. I'm assuming the wi-fi version of the X Hero would cause issues, or would it be fine to use? Thank you!
If you are needing a new system today or in the near future, I recommend the Z390 series. There are several Z390 series systems here in the Golden Builds, like @CaseySJ's and @MacMan's builds. Be aware of the WiFi motherboards due to their incompatible WiFi units with macOS and their Intel proprietary interface to the motherboard. (IMO, it's not worth the extra cost.)

Of course, I need to ask, what are your driving requirements for a new system? I ask because that will determine your component selection.

I'm waiting for the next series (Z400?) which should have the Thunderbolt 3 and USB-C combined on the motherboard and processor.

If you are needing a new system today or in the near future, I recommend the Z390 series. There are several Z390 series systems here in the Golden Builds, like @CaseySJ's and @MacMan's builds. Be aware of the WiFi motherboards due to their incompatible WiFi units with macOS and their Intel proprietary interface to the motherboard. (IMO, it's not worth the extra cost.)

Of course, I need to ask, what are your driving requirements for a new system? I ask because that will determine your component selection.

I'm waiting for the next series (Z400?) which should have the Thunderbolt 3 and USB-C combined on the motherboard and processor.

I would not recommend Z390 unless you really need 128GB of RAM. Other than support for 128GB of RAM and maybe better VRM, there are no advantages to Z390. It's a heckuva lot more troublesome to get everything working right, especially if you don't want to use OsxAptioFix2Drv-free2000. The lack of NVRAM support is a real issue.

Example:
  • I can't get my Z390 system to boot 100% consistently in to macOS using Clover when avoiding OsxAptioFix2Drv-free2000.
  • I can get my Z390 system to boot 100% consistently in to macOS using OpenCore, but ONLY if IGPU is disabled.
  • If IGPU is enabled, I can't boot in the macOS at all using OpenCore.

Even vit9696 (dev of OpenCore, Lilu, WhateverGreen, etc) has recommended against getting Z390 and to go with Z370 instead. I echo his sentiment. Grab the Z370 while it's still available. The Wi-Fi model will be even better since you can replace the Wi-Fi card with a macOS compatible one.

I would not recommend Z390...It's a heckuva lot more troublesome to get everything working right...Even vit9696 (dev of OpenCore, Lilu, WhateverGreen, etc) has recommended against getting Z390 and to go with Z370 instead. I echo his sentiment. Grab the Z370 while it's still available. The Wi-Fi model will be even better since you can replace the Wi-Fi card with a macOS compatible one.
Good advice! But, is there a WiFi adapter to the Intel proprietary interface on the Z370/390 motherboards?

Good advice! But, is there a WiFi adapter to the Intel proprietary interface on the Z370/390 motherboards?

As far as I've been able to tell, Asus Z390 motherboards can use Mac compatible Wi-Fi/Bluetooth M.2 cards. Gigabyte Z390 motherboards seem to ONLY work with Intel CNVi cards. I don't know about motherboards from other manufacturers, not enough reports...

As far as I've been able to tell, ALL Z370 motherboards with M.2 slots for Wi-Fi/Bluetooth can use Mac compatible Wi-Fi/Bluetooth cards.

Z370 is just much more compatible with macOS and is a better choice for hackintoshers, hands down.

Back