Contribute
Register

Stork's MyHero II Build: ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z370 HERO X - i7-8700K - AMD RX 580 - Thunderbolt 3

@Stork again ... is there a reason, why you are using the iMac18,2, or was it just the newest one when you build your setup an you never updated it .. I'm using a I9700K on the Z370 X Hero .. are there any differences for performance/stability, in Choice of iMac model ...?

I switched to using iMacPro1,1 on my Z370 and Z390 systems quite a few months ago because everything just worked with no compromises that I could find. DRM, AirPlay, Preview, Quick Look, Air Drop, everything works.

I don't know of any other system definition that would yield consistent, reliable DRM support.

I'll stick with iMac19,1 for now, as changing to iMacPro 1,1 will upset the copy protection of tons of software I am using.
19,1 works well enough, sleep is iffy though. Haven't done any serious editing with my old copy of FCPX on my Z390 yet.

I can play 10-bit 4k HEVC with ease((i)GPU is used). This wouldn't work properly on my old z170x with the same GPU.

Not using airplay, preview, quicklook and airdrop all work.

I can play 10-bit 4k HEVC with ease((i)GPU is used). This wouldn't work properly on my old z170x with the same GPU.

This is because Skylake IGPU didn't have HEVC support.

HEVC plays fine on my systems using iMacPro1,1 with extremely low CPU usage.

I am sure iMac Pro 1,1 would work fine, and would use my RX480 for HEVC decoding.
But I would have to jump through lots of copy-protection hoops again...

I switched to using iMacPro1,1 on my Z370 and Z390 systems quite a few months ago because everything just worked with no compromises that I could find. DRM, AirPlay, Preview, Quick Look, Air Drop, everything works.

I don't know of any other system definition that would yield consistent, reliable DRM support.
Maybe you've already started testing Catalina ...
Did you find that the same considerations you make here are also valid for 10.15?

Maybe you've already started testing Catalina ...
Did you find that the same considerations you make here are also valid for 10.15?

I only tested a few of the Catalina betas briefly. I did not see any problems with my config.

I only tested a few of the Catalina betas briefly. I did not see any problems with my config.
OK thanks...
Then I will wait to ask you something more precise when Catalina will become official and maybe you will have tested it more thoroughly.
In the various betas (I followed them practically all from the first one), I found something that can no longer be used in the way it happens in Mojave, and it will be necessary to find a solution.
My build is the same as this thread, so I write here.

Regards

edit:
I never asked @Stork anything because I know he won't switch to Catalina before 10.15.3 (as with all new operating systems)

Last edited:
A20D7E83-4A2F-44BA-9D42-00A8C2366CFD.jpeg

Hi, how can i fix this problem?

Back