Contribute
Register

Stork's MyHero II Build: ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z370 HERO X - i7-8700K - AMD RX 580 - Thunderbolt 3

ok cool, thx. The link above doesn't work and just redirects me to the homepage. i tried doing it via Hackintool and tested but still can't sleep ... the listing in System report for USB looks the same than before, so maybe i didn't do it right ... i attched the modified config.

I can't tell from looking at your config.plist. I need IORegistryExplorer output to see...

Here's the correct link.

I first tried again the hard way by following another Hackintool tutorial and identifying ports by pluggin into all ports, removing obsolete entries and then exporting the SSDT-UIAC.aml from Hackintool. I couldn't really see any obvious changes after that other than one of my case USB ports was no longer functional (might be an error i made when identifying the ports). Sleep was still not working with the same symptoms: screens go to sleep but computer doesn't.

Then, I followed @c0c0p0ps first link and downloaded the 'USB 15 Port With USB Charging.zip' and put the contents in the appropriate folder of my EFI. Now another port isn't working anymore on my case and the sleep still isn't working with the same symptoms. Since i don't have a USB3 hard disc to test the speed i can't really say if something changed to the previous situation without SSDT.

While digging around in Clover Configurator, I noticed this which I'm not sure how it got there, and if it should be there. (It was also in the config.plist @pastrychef uploaded a couple of post up, so I suppose it's OK to be there):

View attachment 405949

Also re-attaching my current EFI folder to check.

Have you actually read any of the posts you have been directed to or are you just expecting someone else to trouble shoot your build for you?

Creating an SSDT with Hackintool or IOReg means sacrificing USB ports to keep them below the 15 limit for the Intel controller. That SSDT I made ditches one USB2 motherboard connecter (which you probably hooked up to your case) and the 2 USB 2 ports on the rear as well as internal light controls.

What you have highlighted in your clover config is a port limit patch which raises the number allowed to 26. That needs to be changed depending on then macOS version you are running. I think for 10.14.4 you need to patch 3 different kexts so that one you have on your config plist is meaningless and will be doing nothing. Make sure you have the correct patches for your OS version.

Looking at your sleep wake reason posted above I think you have failed to correctly configure your BIOS for macOS. I would start by removing any drives other than your macOS system, reset teh BOS to default and very carefully only change the parameters on page 1. I know on Asus boards FastBoot enabled will cause the problem you describe. I also keep the Fix Shutdown patch enabled in ACPI in Clover Config which also used to be a must have for Asus boards... Whether it is now or not I don't know but my sleep has worked from day 1 so it obviously isn't hurting.

I've never heard of USB ports failing in that manner...
Further update on that ASMedia USB A port issue... Contacted Asus support and told them what is happening with the speed compared on the type c and they have arranged for amazon.co.uk to send me a complete replacement board as the physical port seems defective! Will come tomorrow so I will have to get it all transplanted and can test again. Turns out Asus offer a 36 month warranty in the UK rather than the usual 12 which is pretty impressive.

Hey @Stork and others,

did you enabled Filefault? I'd like to do so, but I'm not sure which drivers I really need in drivers64UEFI etc. etc. Of course I've used the search already, but there so many different threads with so many different statements and sometimes seems a bit old?! Maybe you have a hint here?

drivers64UEFI content:

ApfsDriverLoader-64.efi
ApfsDriverLoader.efi
AppleKeyAggregator.efi
AppleUITheme.efi
AptioInputFix.efi
AptioMemoryFix.efi
AudioDxe-64.efi
DataHubDxe-64.efi
EmuVariableUefi-64.efi
FSInject-64.efi
SMCHelper-64.efi
SMCHelper.efi
VBoxHfs-64.efi

SMCBIOS: iMacPro1,1 (iGPU disabled)
macOS: Mojave 10.14.5

Well, I wish I could figure it out myself (as well as write a complete guide for other members). But I've got no test system or even another NVMe drive at the moment. Don't like to crash my well running build. ;-)

thanks in advance,
oklhost

Well... nope. Now I can't boot anymore :D

Result:

nNz6u1isSEGzUunAW5hlvg.jpg

I can't tell from looking at your config.plist. I need IORegistryExplorer output to see...

Here's the correct link.

@pastrychef OK, thanks. That was the guide(s) I was looking for .. I wasn't far of in my previous attempts but redid a clean SSDT using the beginners guide and cross checking with the other 3 guides. (I find the way to do it with MaciASL better than with Hackintool, BTW.)
I think/hope USB is configured properly now.

The only odd thing I noticed is that the red USB port and the USB-C connector port on the rear are not listed under XHC but under RP05. (You can see my headset and phone plugged in in the screenshot, but normally I don't have anything connected to them.) I also added my SSDT-template and commented in what ports I enabled.

Screenshot 2019-05-16 at 12.22.22.PNG

I also realized through this post that I had my case USB ports wrongly configured as external whereas in fact I think they need to be configured as internal (I think…) since they are connected via cable directly to the mobo (HS01-SS01/HS02-SS02/HS09-SS09/HS10-SS10).

Still, whichever way I roll it ... the same no-sleep problem with unchanged behavior however. Double checked BIOS settings as well (again) but there were no misconfigs there, and everything is set up as it should according to yours and various other Hero X build threads. So, I doubt it's sth in there that prevents the sleep.

TBH, I'm happy to let that sleep issue go now since I rarely use sleep. Anyways, the biggest problem from the 4, which I listed in my initial post, was the transparent PNG issue which was a pain on a daily basis .. and you solved that for me :)

Attachments

• SSDT-USB-Template.dsl
    4.2 KB · Views: 68
Last edited:
@pastrychef OK, thanks. That was the guide(s) I was looking for .. I wasn't far of in my previous attempts but redid a clean SSDT using the beginners guide and cross checking with the other 3 guides. (I find the way to do it with MaciASL better than with Hackintool, BTW.)
I think/hope USB is configured properly now.

The only odd thing I noticed is that the red USB port and the USB-C connector port on the rear are not listed under XHC but under RP05. (You can see my headset and phone plugged in in the screenshot, but normally I don't have anything connected to them.) I also added my SSDT-template and commented in what ports I enabled.

View attachment 406054

I also realized through this post that I had my case USB ports wrongly configured as external whereas in fact I think they need to be configured as internal (I think…) since they are connected via cable directly to the mobo (HS01-SS01/HS02-SS02/HS09-SS09/HS10-SS10).

Still, whichever way I roll it ... the same no-sleep problem with unchanged behavior however. Double checked BIOS settings as well (again) but there were no misconfigs there, and everything is set up as it should according to yours and various other Hero X build threads. So, I doubt it's sth in there that prevents the sleep.

TBH, I'm happy to let that sleep issue go now since I rarely use sleep. Anyways, the biggest problem from the 4, which I listed in my initial post, was the transparent PNG issue which was a pain on a daily basis .. and you solved that for me :)

On Z370, the USB 3.1 gen 2 (aka USB 3.2 gen 2) ports are on a separate controller and you don't have to worry about them. You only have to worry about the Z370 chipset USB ports.

I never understood the reasoning for assigning 255 to the internal header ports that are connected to ports on cases. It didn't make sense to me. I mean, I am going to be using them as if they are normal external USB ports and they aren't connected to any sort of hub... It just didn't make any sense to me. Therefore, I made the decision to ignore what was said in the guide and assigned them as 0 or 3 depending on if they are USB 2 or USB 3.1 gen 1. The only port I assign as 255 is the USB port that's connected to my internal Wi-Fi/Bluetooth card.

In looking at your SSDT, you've whittled down the ports to 15.

Use the Terminal command again:
Code:
log show --style syslog | fgrep "Wake reason"
That will tell you what's causing your instant wakes.

Usually, I don't use my USB 3.1 gen 2 ports. The only time I use those ports are when I have a true USB 3.1 gen 2 device to connect to them.

I never understood the reasoning for assigning 255 to the internal header ports that are connected to ports on cases. It didn't make sense to me. I mean, I am going to be using them as if they are normal external USB ports and they aren't connected to any sort of hub... It just didn't make any sense to me. Therefore, I made the decision to ignore what was said in the guide and assigned them as 0 or 3 depending on if they are USB 2 or USB 3.1 gen 1. The only port I assign as 255 is the USB port that's connected to my internal Wi-Fi/Bluetooth card.

In looking at your SSDT, you've whittled down the ports to 15.

Usually, I don't use my USB 3.1 gen 2 ports. The only time I use those ports are when I have a true USB 3.1 gen 2 device to connect to them.

Yeah, I feel the same. If i ever get a USB3 HD (not likely), I will test if it makes a difference. The only USB3 device I have at the moment is a card reader. But the SD card only supports a max of 170Mb/sec (although i'm only getting around 100 Mb/sec on the USB3 ports). But at least my USB2/USB3 ports are set up correctly, I guess. I'm only getting around 50 Mb/sec when I plug the reader into the USB2 ports.

For my sleep issue the internal/external doesn't make a difference and all my USB devices work regardless.

I tried the 'Wake reason' grep again, and it still spits out the same. But I only just now noticed that there isn't any entry for the last 2 days despite having tried to sleep a gazillion of times in the last days:

Code:
2019-05-08 21:41:13.710130+0200  localhost kernel[0]: (AppleACPIPlatform) AppleACPIPlatformPower Wake reason: PEG1 PEGP PEG2 PEGP PXSX RP10 PXSX RP11 PXSX RP12 PXSX RP13 PXSX PXSX RP02 PXSX RP03 PXSX RP04 PXSX PXSX RP06 PXSX PXSX RP08 P
2019-05-08 21:41:13.710132+0200  localhost kernel[0]: (AppleACPIPlatform) AppleACPIPlatformPower Wake reason: PEG1 PEGP PEG2 PEGP PXSX RP10 PXSX RP11 PXSX RP12 PXSX RP13 PXSX PXSX RP02 PXSX RP03 PXSX RP04 PXSX PXSX RP06 PXSX PXSX RP08 P
2019-05-08 21:42:24.094418+0200  localhost kernel[0]: (AppleACPIPlatform) AppleACPIPlatformPower Wake reason: PEG1 PEGP PEG2 PEGP PXSX RP10 PXSX RP11 PXSX RP12 PXSX RP13 PXSX PXSX RP02 PXSX RP03 PXSX RP04 PXSX PXSX RP06 PXSX PXSX RP08 P
2019-05-08 21:42:24.094419+0200  localhost kernel[0]: (AppleACPIPlatform) AppleACPIPlatformPower Wake reason: PEG1 PEGP PEG2 PEGP PXSX RP10 PXSX RP11 PXSX RP12 PXSX RP13 PXSX PXSX RP02 PXSX RP03 PXSX RP04 PXSX PXSX RP06 PXSX PXSX RP08 P
2019-05-14 20:16:25.070045+0200  localhost kernel[0]: (AppleACPIPlatform) AppleACPIPlatformPower Wake reason: PEG1 PEGP PEG2 PEGP PXSX RP10 PXSX RP11 PXSX RP12 PXSX RP13 PXSX PXSX RP02 PXSX RP03 PXSX RP04 PXSX PXSX RP06 PXSX PXSX RP08 P
2019-05-14 20:16:25.070046+0200  localhost kernel[0]: (AppleACPIPlatform) AppleACPIPlatformPower Wake reason: PEG1 PEGP PEG2 PEGP PXSX RP10 PXSX RP11 PXSX RP12 PXSX RP13 PXSX PXSX RP02 PXSX RP03 PXSX RP04 PXSX PXSX RP06 PXSX PXSX RP08 P

In fact the system doesn't go to sleep at all, just the displays. It's not really a wake issue. (The motherboard never powers down into the blinking power button mode. It just logs me out and sleeps the displays.) When I try to sleep, once the displays turn off, i can still see the HD indicator Led ticking away randomly from time to time. I'm really wondering if it's not that bloody diskarbitrationd thing. I've again tried to get to the bottom of this, but I can't find anything relevant about it no matter where I search. Even sat through one of the most boring videos ever in the hope of finding it.

Could you maybe check in your console if you also get these diskarbitrationd messages ?

Back