Contribute
Register

Stork's MyHero II Build: ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z370 HERO X - i7-8700K - AMD RX 580 - Thunderbolt 3

Hey @Stork and @pastrychef I have finally gone up to Mojave now Avid have released the updated Pro Tools, and thought everything went smoother than any update I have done ever! However, now the ASmedia USB 3.1 Gen 2 ports only seem to be working at USB 2 speed, and I can't get them to work at full speed no matter what I do.

Problem is I am not entirely sure when I lost the higher speed. I have 2 USB3.0 drives that would both show up as 5gb/s under system profiler (and still do on the intel controller) in the past so I definitely had the full speed previously, but now all I get is 480mbs.

I have tried chucking out the SSDT I made and applying the latest port limit patch which gets clearly everything working as the internal lights show up again in system profiler but still the as media ports are stuck at USB 2 speed. I have double checked everything in the BIOS and all that appears correct. I have recently updated the BIOS to 1901 but the release notes mention nothing about USB changes, although they do for 1801, which has me wondering if maybe something then broke the way macOS sees the ports and I didn't notice till now?

This is driving me insane as I had them working and have no idea why they are not now. Could it be anything in a clover update? I made sure that and all my kexts were totally up to date before updating to Mojave. All I see is that the ASM2142 is native supported in macOS so have no idea why I have lost all my speed. Hopefully one of you may have some ideas to try. I am only using the red 'A' type port and not the Type C, but then I have only used this port and know for sure my drives would connect at 5gbs.

Your SSDT should not have any affect on the ASMedia USB ports. The SSDT should only deal with the Z370 chipset USB ports.

Also, do not trust what System Information > USB reports. It has been reporting the incorrect USB 3.1 gen 2 speeds for a long time and, as far as I know, has not been fixed.

I will test the ASMedia ports on my system a little later and report back...

Your SSDT should not have any affect on the ASMedia USB ports. The SSDT should only deal with the Z370 chipset USB ports.

Also, do not trust what System Information > USB reports. It has been reporting the incorrect USB 3.1 gen 2 speeds for a long time and, as far as I know, has not been fixed.

I will test the ASMedia ports on my system a little later and report back...
I didn't think that the ASMedia ports would be affected in the slightest by the intel ones / SSDT but have been trying anything I knew had changed in the past few months. I even removed my NVME drive as that was a recent addition but it makes no difference. I think a BIOS downgrade is about all I have not tried yet to test with my hardware!

The speed is definitely slower checking with blackmagic on my ASMedia ports than the intel USB3 gen1 ports so I don't think that the speeds reported is just cosmetic. Definitely interested to see what you or @Stork find with your rigs.

I didn't think that the ASMedia ports would be affected in the slightest by the intel ones / SSDT but have been trying anything I knew had changed in the past few months. I even removed my NVME drive as that was a recent addition but it makes no difference. I think a BIOS downgrade is about all I have not tried yet to test with my hardware!

The speed is definitely slower checking with blackmagic on my ASMedia ports than the intel USB3 gen1 ports so I don't think that the speeds reported is just cosmetic. Definitely interested to see what you or @Stork find with your rigs.

I don't currently have a true USB 3.1 gen 2 device to test, but I tested a USB 3.1 gen 1 attached SSD.

Using ASMedia port:
ASMedia.png

Using Z370 chipset port:
Z370.png

I have a USB 3.1 gen 2 NVMe adaptor but I don't currently have any unused NVMe SSDs to plug in to it for testing... But I highly doubt there would be any issues.

I don't currently have a true USB 3.1 gen 2 device to test, but I tested a USB 3.1 gen 1 attached SSD.

I have a USB 3.1 gen 2 NVMe adaptor but I don't currently have any unused NVMe SSDs to plug in to it for testing... But I highly doubt there would be any issues.

I just did the same test with a Samsung SSD drive attached.

Using the Intel Z370 Port:

With the ASMedia Port:

So it really does appear to be stuck in a USB2 speed, and I have no idea why it would have happened. Especially when this 2142 controller is meant to be natively supported.

Attachments

• USB3 Gen1 Intel.png
    USB3 Gen1 Intel.png
    745.7 KB · Views: 41
I just did the same test with a Samsung SSD drive attached.

Using the Intel Z370 Port:
View attachment 405020

With the ASMedia Port:
View attachment 405021

So it really does appear to be stuck in a USB2 speed, and I have no idea why it would have happened. Especially when this 2142 controller is meant to be natively supported.

Please post your EFI folder.

Please post your EFI folder.
Thanks for taking a look. EFI attached with serials removed. I am guessing there is no setting in the BIOS I could have missed which could be limiting the speed.

Attachments

• c0c0p0ps_EFI.zip
    32.2 MB · Views: 78
Thanks for taking a look. EFI attached with serials removed. I am guessing there is no setting in the BIOS I could have missed which could be limiting the speed.

I really can't see anything that can possibly cause the ASM2142 to run slow...

I really can't see anything that can possibly cause the ASM2142 to run slow...
Ahhh... Didn't think I had made any mistakes but I was hoping it would be something simple. I am really stumped and confused by this and running out of things to try. I have even booted off my High Sierra backup drive and it is also slow in there so I am not even sure when they stopped working properly.

Ahhh... Didn't think I had made any mistakes but I was hoping it would be something simple. I am really stumped and confused by this and running out of things to try. I have even booted off my High Sierra backup drive and it is also slow in there so I am not even sure when they stopped working properly.

Is it running at normal speeds in Windows or Linux?

Is it running at normal speeds in Windows or Linux?
I only use macOS so have no other operating systems to test with unfortunately. I just went ahead and downgraded the BIOS as that is about the only thing left to try and am still stuck with USB2 speeds.

Back