Contribute
Register

Stork's MyHero II Build: ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z370 HERO X - i7-8700K - AMD RX 580 - Thunderbolt 3

Thanks. I must have missed it when I read the UM. I'll look again.

OK... I read it again, and see that the mobo itself reacts according to which slot it's in. That's fine.

However, how does OSX react? Is there anything you have noticed when using M.2? Can you boot from M.2?

Thanks. I appreciate your help and courtesy.

OK... I read it again, and see that the mobo itself reacts according to which slot it's in. That's fine.

However, how does OSX react? Is there anything you have noticed when using M.2? Can you boot from M.2?

Thanks. I appreciate your help and courtesy.
What model ASUS Z390 are you looking to buy? I'll help you look.

macOS (High Sierra and Mojave) work just fine with the M.2 SSD, both in booting and operating. I'm only using one M.2 SSD in the main M.2 SSD slot.

@kentval, Per the X HERO User Manual, page X (Introduction):
Intel® Z370 Chipset with RAID 0, 1, 5, 10, and Intel Rapid Storage Technology support
- 1 x M.2_1 Socket 3 with M Key, type 2242/2260/2280 (supports PCIE 3.0 x4 and SATA modes)*
- 1 x M.2_2 Socket 3 with M Key, type 2242/2260/2280 (supports PCIE 3.0 x4 mode)**
- 6 x SATA 6Gb/s ports
- Supports Intel® Smart Response Technology *** - Ready for Intel® OptaneTM Memory

* When the M.2_1 Socket 3 is operating in SATA mode, SATA port 1 will be disabled.

** When the M.2_2 Socket 3 is operating in PCIEX4 mode, SATA port 5, 6 will be disabled.

*** This function will work depending on the CPU installed.
Here "SATA mode" refers to ACHI M.2 SSDs, not NVMe M.2 SSDs. I used a NVMe M.2 SSD which I recommend you do as well.

Thanks, @Stork. Perfect info. My mobo: ASUS Republic of Gamers Maximus XI Hero (Wi-Fi) LGA 1151 ATX Motherboard w/ i9-9900. Ordered the NVMe ssd. Appreciate the hand holding. My plan is to get this working with a RX 580 and Final Cut Pro + Photoshop CC. I probably have my work cut out for me.
My experience with MyHero II has been painless so far. Don't be in a hurry. Do your homework. I found that I had to use the FrameBuffer config.plist patch because my RX 580 had a different part number than the part number (I think it's two) in Apple's drivers in High Sierra 10.13.6 and Mojave. The model number was the same, but it was a newer card with a different part number. But, that was my only exciting moment.

Since you have an i9 processor, I'd wait to until 10.14.5 is released as rumor has it that iMac19,1/2/3 System Definition is fully supported which is i9 friendly. 10.14.5 is expected out shortly. BTW, the latest MultiBeast for Mojave supports the iMac19 system def's.

@Stork what Bios are you on with the Hero X?
Just curious if I should update it.

Back