Contribute
Register

Stork's MyHero II Build: ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z370 HERO X - i7-8700K - AMD RX 580 - Thunderbolt 3

@Stork Thank you for this amazing tutorial.

I'm building the following:

ASUS Maximus X Hero (no wifi)
Core i7-8700K
Sapphire RX 580 8GB Pulse (purchased)
Samsung 970 PRO 512GB NVMe (purchased)
Samsung 860 EVO 500GB SSD (purchased)
WD Black 1TB (purchased)
Corsair H55 (purchased)
Corsair RM750X

The thing is, I'm trying to have a more future-proof build, specially when it comes to the motherboard, for that reason I was thinking about changing the X Hero for a XI Hero. Have you personally done any tests on that one? I read a lot of articles here, but the ones I found were of people using the XI Hero with an i9-9900, which is not my case. I'd still be using the i7-8700K. I've report of freezes and some things not working properly. Do you have any information on that?

Do you think it'll be possible to have an XI Hero + i7-8700K build working perfectly, like the one you have with the combo X Hero + i7-8700K?

Thanks.

Last edited:
@ed.stein, MyHero II will sustain me for quite years to come. My other older builds (Gene and MyHero) are still performing well for me. However, I don't play games nor use Final Cut Pro or Adobe products. So, unless you are using your HERO professionally, I'd wait until next year when Intel's processors take a real jump up in performance.

@Stork thanks. I do use it professionally, but for development. I also don't use my computer to play games. The graphics card was bought mainly for compatibility, as I've been reading here. I currently own a mid-2014 MBP i7 but now I need 32GB and can't afford $2900 for that...

I'll stick with the X Hero then, thanks for your input.

Hi Stork,

I just gave MultiBeast 11.2.0 a try and update system definition from 14,2 to 19,1 (I have a i9-9900K)
After a restart the updated clover bootscreen appeared and after a boot into Mojave the stop sign appeared.
Do you happen to know if our system is compatible for SMBIOs 19,1 and should I make other changes to do so ?

Kind regards,

Michiel

Hi Stork,

The latest version in the download section appears to be v11.2.0, this version I tried.
Does one need the special build 10.14.4 for iMac 19.X, or should the SMBIOS 19,1 configuration in Multibeast v11.2.1 play nice with the normal build 10.14.4 ?

Thank you for your time and efforts,

Regards, Michiel
Oh, that could be. iMac19.x hasn't been incorporated into the 10.14.4 installer or update yet. Best to stick with iMac18,3 until 10.14.5 is released.

quick question... I see that I can use M.2 with this machine, and the current OS. If I insert a M.2 card, do I lose one of my PCIe 16x slots? What's the tradeoff? (Actually I'm getting the 390 board...)
I recommend downloading the Z390 User Manual as it is discussed in the User Manual.

Back