Contribute
Register

Stork's MyHero II Build: ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z370 HERO X - i7-8700K - AMD RX 580 - Thunderbolt 3

Hello @Stork ,
thank you for your great guide! I succeded in installing directly Mojave following your guide and recommendation in post #448 method two.

My build is very similar to your:

MB: ASUS ROG MAXIMUS X HERO
CPU: i7-8700
RAM: 4 Corsair CMK16GX4M2D3000C16 8GB (total 32GB)
GPU: MSI ARMOR 8G OC
Storage:
Crucial SSD 500GB MX500 m2 - GUID partitioned - MacOS
Samsung SSD 840 EVO 250GB - Windows 10
Seagate BarraCuda Pro ST2000DM009 2TB - data

I modified config.pls for framebuffer patching (which I read is important to get Preview / jgp working) + I modified SSDT for USB Ports.
I also copied Lilu Whatevergreen and AppleALC to /Library/Extensions/ with KextBeast.

System works fine (attached copy of my EFI), only exception is that when system sleep usb devices are ejected
Now I have a couple of questions:

1 - are all the UEFI drivers and UEFI64 drivers that I have required with Mojave or can I remove something?
2 - I'd like to update to 10.14.4 and I read that is enough to update the ktext to latest version and then let apple to the upgrade.... do I need to do some changes on config.plist? I mean framebuffer, patching, DSDT etc not anymore required?
3 - performace wise I get from GeekBench 29000 multicore, Cinebench 3070cb... are those good? how can I test if GPU (RX580 combined with lnternel Intel) is woirking well?

Thanks in advance for your suppor

ciao
blackdir

Attachments

• my_EFI.zip
    18 MB · Views: 187
I am still dithering like a chicken over the graphics card upgrade :) never quite got the block of time needed to take down my main every-day computer for the upgrade. But now Apple appears to be forcing my hand with their (apparently deliberate) lack of support for NVIDIA hardware in Mojave. From everything I've been reading it sounds like some kind of feud between Apple and NVIDIA management honchos, bad news for us groundlings.

Anyway, I'm not wedded to NVIDIA and was thinking of upgrading to AMD (Sapphire) anyway. Question: is it better to upgrade the Hackie to Mojave first (does it make build/config any easier?) or is it OK to start at HS?

I am still dithering like a chicken over the graphics card upgrade :) never quite got the block of time needed to take down my main every-day computer for the upgrade. But now Apple appears to be forcing my hand with their (apparently deliberate) lack of support for NVIDIA hardware in Mojave. From everything I've been reading it sounds like some kind of feud between Apple and NVIDIA management honchos, bad news for us groundlings.

Anyway, I'm not wedded to NVIDIA and was thinking of upgrading to AMD (Sapphire) anyway. Question: is it better to upgrade the Hackie to Mojave first (does it make build/config any easier?) or is it OK to start at HS?
I would stick with HS for now since you will have Nvidia drivers. Then, you can start looking for an appropriate AMD graphics card to meet your requirements.

I'm using the Sapphire RX 580 Pulse 8GB card for MyHero II build which works OOB. I sold the GTX 1080 FE card that I was using in my Gene build and used a Sapphire RX 580 Pulse 8GB card before upgrading to a MSI Vega 56 Air Boost. I don't recommend the Vega series, yet, as they have fan speed "issues." Report from those using the Vegas and the new Radeon VII cards say that the 10.14.5 Public Beta has fixed some of the Vega fan speed "issues" and has some support for the Radeon VII cards.

So, I recommend you wait until 10.14.5 reports the fixes for the Vega cards and support for the Radeon VII cards unless the Sapphire RX 580 Pulse 8GB card will fit your requirements.

Thanks Stork! Your words of wisdom are always appreciated. I see your MyHero v1 is listed in the sig block as running HS and using the Sapphire 580 card... does that mean I might be able to stuff a Sapphire RX 580 Pulse 8GB card into a HS Hackie w/a Maximus VIII GENE, have it actually boot up again and work OK, then upgrade to Mojave at leisure having left NVIDIA behind? Your comment that this card worked OOB sounds awfully encouraging! I'm talking about my go-to, every-day computer here which is why I am kind of reluctant to get into a big adventure with patches and kexts and bootloader tweaks.

I'm still planning to build a whole new Hackie with a newer mobo and ridiculous amounts of disk etc, but probably not until next Fall.

@Tazling, yes, the Sapphire RX 580 Pulse 8GB graphics card works OOB starting with High Sierra 10.13.6. You'll need to check to see if macOS is recognizing it with the correct FrameBuffer as I show in Post #1, post MultiBeast procedures.

Thanks Stork!! Before making the decision I was looking at reviews and comparisons of the RX 580 vs my current GTX 970, and sadly it looks like the Sapphire RX 580 Pulse despite its 2x onboard memory (8GB vs 4GB for the 970) actually underperforms the 970 on just about every game out there. So now I'm kind of discouraged again. But if I can install the RX 590 (recently introduced) then it would be an upgrade vs a downgrade. Any results yet on the 590 in a Hackintosh? Dare I assume that it's plug-compatible with the 580? Or would that be a ticket to days or weeks of frustrating struggle?

Reading this thread has as usual confused me even further :) The 590 works, or doesn't, or some models work and some don't; h/w accel is disabled unless you install the latest Mojave, some codecs don't work... once again it sounds too scary to attempt just yet. Maybe if I wait until the early Fall, Mojave will be stable and other, braver souls will have figured out the AMD 590 series boards?

Last edited:
@Tazling if the RX 580 is not for you, wait until 10.14.5 is released as I indicated in my above post #821.

Thanks again Stork. I will wait for 10.14.5 and then give it a try with a RX 590 or even a Vega if I feel like splurging on a special treat :) I guess there will be a messy moment as I try to upgrade to Mojave (thus losing h/w accel on the NVIDIA board), then swap in the AMD gpu... but hopefully I won't end up bricked!

Last edited:
Back