Contribute
Register

Stork's MyHero II Build: ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z370 HERO X - i7-8700K - AMD RX 580 - Thunderbolt 3

@marmac, Your problem sounds like your routers' default frequency is not the same as your WiFi card. See About This Mac > System Report > Network > Wi-Fi > Interfaces > en0 > Supported Channels.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-12-27 at 8.27.08 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-12-27 at 8.27.08 AM.png
    347.7 KB · Views: 337
@marmac, Your problem sounds like your routers' default frequency is not the same as your WiFi card. See About This Mac > System Report > Network > Wi-Fi > Interfaces > en0 > Supported Channels.

Hi thanks for your answer.I tried to change the channel to 36 just in case, but it was in 44 which is supported. And I disable the security in one of my routers. Without security it says that it can't connect tells me to do a net diagnostic. I have the wifi in en1 this is ok?
View media item 191455

Hey @Stork just wanted to say Merry Christmas, and thanks to you and @pastrychef for all the input on this thread this year. I am super grateful for getting my new build running so smoothly and couldn't have achieved that without the simple to follow guides and advice from everyone here.

Looking into the new year I think the time has come to make the switch from my GTX960 to an RX580, and had just one question about the Sapphire Pulse 8GB. I am keen to get that card for the most native support from Apple, but my main concern is how quiet it runs, and whether ideally it shuts the fans off completely with no load on the GPU? I have always used the Gigabyte WindForce cards for this exact reason so while working in Pro Tools when it just has to draw waveforms the fans remain off. Gigabyte do make a WindForce RX580 with this feature but I would rather get the Sapphire if it also shuts down the fans.

Since I have installed 3 Sapphire Pulse RX 580 cards on all 3 of my CustoMacs, I can confirm the following:

- The fans do not spin if the temperature of the card is below 52 degrees Celsius. Once that temperature is reached, the fans start spinning and will stop once the temperature drops below that value

- The card works for me OOB without using Lilu or Whatevergreen kexts only if the system definition is Mac Pro. For iMac definition I have to use Lilu and Whatevergreen kexts otherwise I get the black screen. With or without the kexts, only the DPs work. None of the HDMI or DVI ports work

Hope that helps.

Awesome guide, Stork! I am about to pull the trigger on this Mobo just for the "simple" compatibility. However, I am certain I want the i7-9700k instead of the i7-8700k (which now costs more than the 9700k). Over on pastrychef's build I saw that it should work. I plan on building a high sierra machine as long as the nvidia drivers are missing in mojave (980ti). What do you think?

Since I have installed 3 Sapphire Pulse RX 580 cards on all 3 of my CustoMacs, I can confirm the following:

- The fans do not spin if the temperature of the card is below 52 degrees Celsius. Once that temperature is reached, the fans start spinning and will stop once the temperature drops below that value

- The card works for me OOB without using Lilu or Whatevergreen kexts only if the system definition is Mac Pro. For iMac definition I have to use Lilu and Whatevergreen kexts otherwise I get the black screen. With or without the kexts, only the DPs work. None of the HDMI or DVI ports work

Hope that helps.

Thanks for the great replies @Stork and @cacamaca on the Sapphire Pulse. The confirmation on the fans shutting down is exactly what I was hoping would be the case! I use a 27” Samsung curved screen over HDMI so would a simple DisplayPort to HDMI adapter like the Amazon Basics be all I would need to switch cards?

I am slightly on the fence about making the switch right now though as I spoke with a friend who works in video, and he said stay patient for 2 reasons. First, some real industry heavyweights like RED are now starting to push both Apple and Nvidia to get things sorted and, second, because AMD are about to release a new architecture which is a big jump forward for them toward catching up Nvidia. But, either way will see the 2 year old 580s start getting sold off real cheap.

At the moment Avid Pro Tools isn’t supported under Mojave which is 95% of my machine use so I guess until I actually can work in Mojave I may as well be patient... which is hard at times

Thanks for the great replies @Stork and @cacamaca on the Sapphire Pulse. The confirmation on the fans shutting down is exactly what I was hoping would be the case! I use a 27” Samsung curved screen over HDMI so would a simple DisplayPort to HDMI adapter like the Amazon Basics be all I would need to switch cards?

I am slightly on the fence about making the switch right now though as I spoke with a friend who works in video, and he said stay patient for 2 reasons. First, some real industry heavyweights like RED are now starting to push both Apple and Nvidia to get things sorted and, second, because AMD are about to release a new architecture which is a big jump forward for them toward catching up Nvidia. But, either way will see the 2 year old 580s start getting sold off real cheap.

At the moment Avid Pro Tools isn’t supported under Mojave which is 95% of my machine use so I guess until I actually can work in Mojave I may as well be patient... which is hard at times

Confirmed that DP to HDMI cable works. In fact, I have 2 displays connected to one of the CustoMacs using both DP ports and through DP to HDMI cables (the monitors do not have DP). Here are the ones I got and confirmed they also deliver 4K, as stated. With that said, you may be able to make some adjustments in Clover to use Orinoco FB, number of ports, etc. which I understand should result in the other ports of the card working as well. I just described my experience with the card w/o any kind of adjustments.

In regards to the "old 580s" I think you are right they will start getting sold off real cheap. I got them privately for only $200 CDN each.

P.S. BTW, I don't know if anyone else has the same experience, however, Clover comes up in full 4K when I use DP only, no matter what the resolution is set to in config.plist. It goes w/o saying that it looks gorgeous and the apple at the boot time is also displayed in 4K. I hope that is the same for those who have 5K monitors and use DP. Through HDMI and DVI, Clover comes up with lower resolution even if I set it up in config.plist to 4K. That's one more reason why I like using DP over HDMI or DVI.

Last edited:
Awesome build! :D I didn't know about the PCI Firewire add-on card... Good to know. I have an USB2 audio interface myself. ;D

If doing a fresh install of Mojave in a new PC, do we need to use Uniboot (burn it to CD?) or it's enough to follow the tutorial in this post: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...-8700k-amd-rx-580.245074/page-45#post-1845788
iBoot is only for installing Snow Leopard on Haswell or older hardware. It can't be used on Skylake or newer hardware. You need a real Mac (2012 or newer) or a Hackintosh running at least Mt. Lion to download Mojave from the App Store.

Back