Contribute
Register

Stork's MyHero II Build: ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z370 HERO X - i7-8700K - AMD RX 580 - Thunderbolt 3

How does one go about doing this?

Some apps do it automatically. For example, I think the macOS built-in VNC client automatically sends the magic packet.

If you want to do it manually, you can use an app. If you search for "magic packet" in the Mac App Store, there are a few apps that do it. Or here's a free one:
http://www.readpixel.com/wakeonlan/

Some apps do it automatically. For example, I think the macOS built-in VNC client automatically sends the magic packet.

If you want to do it manually, you can use an app. If you search for "magic packet" in the Mac App Store, there are a few apps that do it. Or here's a free one:
http://www.readpixel.com/wakeonlan/
Thanks. I have WakeOnLAN. The app doesn't see the sleeping system. You have to run the app when all systems are awake/running to get the IP address and MAC. So, given those requirements, you can re-awake a system.

Thanks. I have WakeOnLAN. The app doesn't see the sleeping system. You have to run the app when all systems are awake/running to get the IP address and MAC. So, given those requirements, you can re-awake a system.

Yes. The magic packet contains the MAC address of the target computer.

I've never tried waking my hack from my Apple TV, but if the software sends the magic packets automatically, then there's no reason why it won't work.

I've even waken my hack through my iPhone when on vacation.
It‘s not woken from the Appe TV directly via App. Instead (as far as I understood) the Mac knows there’s an Apple TV (or similarly supported device) on the network (thanks to Bonjour I guess) and Registers itself with it once it goes to sleep; the Apple TV then takes the Mac‘s MAC-address and sets itself up to receive any incoming packets that are meant to go to the Mac (not sure whether it spoofs it’s own MAC and whether ad how that could and would work with multiple computers doing The same). Once it receives such packets (that might originate from VNC app, a ping, SSH connection attempt, ...) it simply sends the magic packet to wake the machine and gets itself out of the way.
It‘s basically a shorthand to not have to send the magic packet manually but have it sent automatically whenever any connection is attempted.

This sounds promising, thanks for digging deeper. I guess I‘ll go with the ASUS for my build and check it out in my network setup! :)

please provide full efi folder for this config

I am making this build but relying on the internal graphics instead. What changes would I need to make to the basic configuration? BIOS or MultiBeast wise. Inject HD 6xx?
I don't know as I've not used internal graphics since my Z68 builds. @pastrychef will know as he has an ASUS motherboard and tried the internal graphics.

Not bad, once you break the code. I did the following:
- Add the FBName = Orinoco and Inject > ATI=true & Intel=True to config.plist which you can do with Clover Configurator
Code:
    <key>Graphics</key>
    <dict>
        <key>FBName</key>
        <string>Orinoco</string>
        <key>Inject</key>
        <dict>
            <key>ATI</key>
            <true/>
            <key>Intel</key>
            <true/>
            <key>NVidia</key>
            <false/>
        </dict>
    </dict>
- Added Lili and Whatevergreen kexts to /Library/Extensions/ with KextBeast.​

That's it!

Frankly, I don't know how long this will work. So, I'm also exploring a config.plist KextToPatch that might work longer as we proceed into Mojave. However, I'm hoping Apple realizes that Sapphire has changed the RX 580 Pulse's part #s since this Spring and makes all RX 580 use the Orinoco framebuffer. :thumbup:

I tried this with 10.14.1 but it causes reboots with iTunes and Fcpx.

I tried this with 10.14.1 but it causes reboots with iTunes and Fcpx.
I'm playing iTunes songs almost all the time without any problems. So, you have something else that's causing your problem(s). I'm sorry I can't help as I don't know the solution.

Back