Contribute
Register

Stork's MyHero II Build: ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z370 HERO X - i7-8700K - AMD RX 580 - Thunderbolt 3

@askh44234, I gave up using on-board graphics years ago - it's a pain to get working vs. using a discrete graphics card. So, I can't help you there. As for installing macOS.

Since you have Windows installed, I would disconnect all other drivers except the drive which you are going to install macOS. UniBeast will create the USB install thumb drive with the correct parameters set. After your installation is complete, run MultiBeast v10.4 with my settings. See Post #448 on how to install Mojave.

I am not even interested in using the internal one, just though that this would be the better approach ;)

I also tried to install via the GPU and an UniBeast USB Thumb drive but had the same problem while trying to load the installer.

But will try it without any other drives. Thank you!

EDIT: After some googling around with some guessed terms, I found out that the last blurred line says: 'Still searching for root device'. So a problem with the installations USB thumb drive. I used your described port all the time, but, after some fiddling around, I used a USB2 Port on the Case. Also, I removed the T9E WIFI (saw the PHY_MODE Error). After all, I got the Installer. Let's see how far I can get. Thank you!

@Stork: Tried it now with all other drives detached, HDMI via the Radeon Pro 580 and got the same result.

In verbose mode I can read the log entries till `AppleUSBHostResource`:
W04mZMb.jpg

After that, it hangs for like 3 secs until everything gets artifacted:
yjI7VHm.jpg

What else can I try? Thank you very much!

Also, Clover has these GPU Settings. Why does it detect the GPU as RX 480 and not as RX 580?
2mv1USm.jpg

Last edited:
I'm interested in replicating your build. Thanks for the detailed instructions and answers you provide!

One aspect I did not see covered is Wake on LAN. As I would like to use my build remotely via SSH and do not want to leave it running all the time just for this purpose I'd really like to put it to sleep and wake it on demand as I'm currently doing with my Mac Mini.
Do you have WoL (via Ethernet) working on the Maximus Hero X or do you know whether it is possible?

I'm interested in replicating your build. Thanks for the detailed instructions and answers you provide!

One aspect I did not see covered is Wake on LAN. As I would like to use my build remotely via SSH and do not want to leave it running all the time just for this purpose I'd really like to put it to sleep and wake it on demand as I'm currently doing with my Mac Mini.
Do you have WoL (via Ethernet) working on the Maximus Hero X or do you know whether it is possible?
I've never used Wake on LAN. So, I just set it in System Preferences > Energy Saver and checked WoL. I put MyHero II to sleep. But, I can't remotely wake it from my MacBook Pro. I tried to SSH into it, but no joy. Ping doesn't wake it, either. So, let's see if @pastrychef can add anything.

By Wake on LAN, do you mean (1) being able to power up the system over LAN or (2) being able to wake a sleeping system?

I have never tested 1.

2 works fine on my build. It's important to remember to send the magic packet to wake it.

By Wake on LAN, do you mean (1) being able to power up the system over LAN or (2) being able to wake a sleeping system?

I have never tested 1.

2 works fine on my build. It's important to remember to send the magic packet to wake it.

Yes, I want to wake it from sleep, not boot it. I've seen you mentioning it in your build guide and considered the ASUS MB for that reason, but I'd really like some USB-C-ports as well which is why I'm trying to find out whether it works with other boards.
As far as I know Macs can use some Apple networked devices such as a Time Capsule or an Apple TV as a "Sleep Proxy" that wakes them on demand and send the magic packet so that the user doesn't have to do it manually (e.g. I can simply wake my sleeping Mac mini just by trying to SSH into it; iirc the Apple TV receives the request and sends the magic packet toward the mini); not sure whether macOS on hackintoshes can do the same, but as the only thing this does is automate the magic packet it isn't necessarily required.

I've never used Wake on LAN. So, I just set it in System Preferences > Energy Saver and checked WoL. I put MyHero II to sleep. But, I can't remotely wake it from my MacBook Pro. I tried to SSH into it, but no joy. Ping doesn't wake it, either. So, let's see if @pastrychef can add anything.
Thanks for trying! This might be due to the lack of sending the magic packet as pastrychef wrote. I've seen lots of builds mentioning deactivating Wake on LAN in the BIOS, may be an issue as well, but as I haven't seen you mentioning it in your build details (hence my question) I guess you didn't change any settings regarding it and it probably is on as per default settings.

@HannesH & @pastrychef, I've never heard of the "magic packet". What is it and how do you send it?

Yes, I want to wake it from sleep, not boot it. I've seen you mentioning it in your build guide and considered the ASUS MB for that reason, but I'd really like some USB-C-ports as well which is why I'm trying to find out whether it works with other boards.
As far as I know Macs can use some Apple networked devices such as a Time Capsule or an Apple TV as a "Sleep Proxy" that wakes them on demand and send the magic packet so that the user doesn't have to do it manually (e.g. I can simply wake my sleeping Mac mini just by trying to SSH into it; iirc the Apple TV receives the request and sends the magic packet toward the mini); not sure whether macOS on hackintoshes can do the same, but as the only thing this does is automate the magic packet it isn't necessarily required.

I've never tried waking my hack from my Apple TV, but if the software sends the magic packets automatically, then there's no reason why it won't work.

I've even waken my hack through my iPhone when on vacation.

@HannesH & @pastrychef, I've never heard of the "magic packet". What is it and how do you send it?

It's just a few bytes of data that includes the MAC address of the system you're trying to wake. Once the target computer receives this packet, it wakes the system.

It's just a few bytes of data that includes the MAC address of the system you're trying to wake. Once the target computer receives this packet, it wakes the system.
How does one go about doing this?

Back