Contribute
Register

Stork's MyHero II Build: ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z370 HERO X - i7-8700K - AMD RX 580 - Thunderbolt 3

Since I was still experiencing some random crashes with RX 580 Nitro, I had to change SMBIOS from 18,1 to 17,1 in order to avoid them completely. I'm not sure why, but it seems it helps "Photos" not messing up with the ATI causing GPU Restart while indexing/processing large libraries.
Stork, am i missing out something important sticking with 17,1 ?

Edit:
I ended up replacing the Nitro with a Pulse, couldn't have made a better choice, see post #415

Last edited:
Since I was still experiencing some random crashes with RX 580 Nitro, I had to change SMBIOS from 18,1 to 17,1 in order to avoid them completely. I'm not sure why, but it seems it helps "Photos" not messing up with the ATI causing GPU Restart while indexing/processing large libraries.
Stork, am i missing out something important sticking with 17,1 ?
You should be using iMac18,3 since you have a graphics card. The iMac 18,1 doesn't use a graphics chipset, just the Intel integrated graphics. I'm using iMac18,3 w/o any problems.

You should be using iMac18,3 since you have a graphics card. The iMac 18,1 doesn't use a graphics chipset, just the Intel integrated graphics. I'm using iMac18,3 w/o any problems.
Thanks a lot for the reply, definitely clear.
I suspect the RX 580 Nitro+ doesn't work as flawlessly as the Pulse. Based on what you said, my guess is that using the 17,1 or 18,1 Photos doesn't try to use the GPU to accelerate Photo analysis, hence avoiding the crashes.
I'm finding limited information regarding the Nitro and hackintoshes, and even less having a similar problem. I'm honestly a bit lost..

Edit:
I ended up replacing the Nitro with a Pulse, couldn't have made a better choice, see post #415

Last edited:
Thanks a lot for the reply, definitely clear.
I suspect the RX 580 Nitro+ doesn't work as flawlessly as the Pulse. Based on what you said, my guess is that using the 17,1 or 18,1 Photos doesn't try to use the GPU to accelerate Photo analysis, hence avoiding the crashes.
... What's your suggestion?
See my OP for the Frame Buffer config.plist patch or Post #342.

See my OP for the Frame Buffer config.plist patch or Post #342.

I indeed already set the config.plist as you suggested, currently using Orinoco and InjectATI, InjectIntel.

To avoid crashes in Adobe Rush/Premiere i found out that i also need DSDT Patches GFX -> IGPU and PEG0 -> GFX0, combined with imac 18,1 or 17,1

Edit:
Even though the fix lowered the occurrence of crashes, it didn't avoid them completely. I ended up replacing the Nitro with a Pulse, see post #415

Last edited:
I just updated to Mojave without any problems. Appstore download -> update. Then I left to take the kids to preschool, and I was at new login screen when I came back. Now I noticed though that my fans are running at pretty high RPM.

Is there any post install thing i need to do to fix this? I've forgot if i did something about it in High Sierra.

@pjmartin82, it's a Vega "thing". @pastrychef had the same problem, and I think he solved it with a special kext. See his Golden Build description for more information.

I just updated to Mojave without any problems. Appstore download -> update. Then I left to take the kids to preschool, and I was at new login screen when I came back. Now I noticed though that my fans are running at pretty high RPM.

Is there any post install thing i need to do to fix this? I've forgot if i did something about it in High Sierra.

Yes, you can use the VGTab utility to customize the fan speeds and then create a kext that will fix the fans. You can find the VGTab utility attached to post #1 of my Z370 build thread. Link is below in my signature.

Yes, you can use the VGTab utility to customize the fan speeds and then create a kext that will fix the fans. You can find the VGTab utility attached to post #1 of my Z370 build thread. Link is below in my signature.
Great! Works like a charm! I set the idle speed to 1000 and target speed to 4900 then installed it with KextBeast. Now the machine is as silent as in High Sierra.

Back