Contribute
Register

Stork's MyHero II Build: ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z370 HERO X - i7-8700K - AMD RX 580 - Thunderbolt 3

I don't know... Do you have "Show All Devices" checked?
View attachment 355453

I solved my issue, and I will describe my situation as well as I can. So someone in the same situation might find it useful. I finally got a disk show up in the Clover installer when I connected it to the third SATA port. It did not show up when connected to the first and second SATA ports. M.2 SSD uses these slots I think. After that, I was able to install the system but could only boot in with safe mode. High Sierra then recognized the M.2 (Clover USB installer in the beginning, did not). I formatted the M.2 SSD, and then the Clover USB installer recognized it. Reinstalled to the Samsung EVO M.2 SSD. My RX 580 Pulse got the black screen. But, you can't access the EFI folder in safe mode. So that was a new problem. I solved it by removing the RX 580, and then used the built in graphics card. Inject Intel as boot option, and the I was able to log in without safe mode. Used MultiBeast and all the rest worked as the guide implied. Thank you for all the help! Also disabled CSM in BIOS.

@navistar, is your Samsung EVO M.2 SSD a NVMe or ACHI (SATA)? Sounds like the latter, and that is addressed in your motherboard's User Manual.

@navistar, is your Samsung EVO M.2 SSD a NVMe or ACHI (SATA)? Sounds like the latter, and that is addressed in your motherboard's User Manual.

It's a case of there not being enough PCI-e lanes. Users must choose to either enable SATA6G_56 or the M.2 slot at x4.

From the Maximus X Hero manual, section 3.6.8:
Screen Shot 2018-10-05 at 4.27.24 PM.png

Great guide - thank you.

The ROG Maximus X is listed as discontinued on Amazon, and the prices and availability seem to support it. I'd like to mimic your build, down to the graphics card.

ASUS makes the PRIME Z370-A LGA1151 that seems to have a lot of similarities with the Maximus X, and it's in current production, and prices are reasonable. I also like that it has a Thunderbolt header, since I have some TB hard drive enclosures.

Given the many shared specs, do you think this MB will be a good pinch hitter? I'm hoping to be able to use this guide exactly.

This will be my first Hackintosh build. I'm not a stranger to finagling to make things work, but I do like starting with a winning lineup.

Thanks in advance!

It's a case of there not being enough PCI-e lanes. Users must choose to either enable SATA6G_56 or the M.2 slot at x4.
View attachment 355581

My final parts will arrive tomorrow, the ASUS ROG Maximus X is also not listed as discontinued here in Germany. So will this be maybe the same problem for me? Im not sure, where I should connect the SSD to have no black screen or other problems and if I should activate the X2 or X4 mode. its also my first build with all mentioned parts besides a 1 TB NVMe SSD :/ ... Sounds a little bit weird to me that he had to connect it to the third slot.

My final parts will arrive tomorrow, the ASUS ROG Maximus X is also not listed as discontinued here in Germany. So will this be maybe the same problem for me? Im not sure, where I should connect the SSD to have no black screen or other problems and if I should activate the X2 or X4 mode. its also my first build with all mentioned parts besides a 1 TB NVMe SSD :/ ... Sounds a little bit weird to me that he had to connect it to the third slot.

If you look at Asus' specs page for this motherboard, you will see:
Screen Shot 2018-10-08 at 7.04.42 AM.png

Assuming that you are using an NVMe M.2 SSD, you can use M.2_1 slot without sacrificing anything.
If you want to use a second NVMe M.2 SSD at x4 speed, you will lost SATA port 5 and 6.

This is due to there not being enough PCI-e lanes in with Z370 for all of the PCI-e and M.2 slots.
If you will not be using SATA ports 5 and 6, you can enable the M.2_2 slot to run at x4.
If you will be using SATA ports 5 and 6, you will have to set the M.2_2 slot to x2 speed.

Great guide - thank you.

The ROG Maximus X is listed as discontinued on Amazon, and the prices and availability seem to support it. I'd like to mimic your build, down to the graphics card.

ASUS makes the PRIME Z370-A LGA1151 that seems to have a lot of similarities with the Maximus X, and it's in current
production, and prices are reasonable. I also like that it has a Thunderbolt header, since I have some TB hard drive enclosures.

Given the many shared specs, do you think this MB will be a good pinch hitter? I'm hoping to be able to use this guide exactly.

This will be my first Hackintosh build. I'm not a stranger to finagling to make things work, but I do like starting with a winning lineup.

Thanks in advance!

The Wi-Fi version of the Hero is still available from NewEgg.

If you want to use the Prime Z370-A, it shouldn't a problem either.

Following Storx's advice, I got this build up and running quite easily. A beast of a machine indeed, running very, very smoothly.

I didn't have to use the Orinoco Framebuffer, my ATI RX580 Nitro+ was working OOB with 150fps+ on Cinebench. Is there any other reason to use Orinoco instead of the default MultiBeast Clover config ?

I had problems getting the machine to sleep properly, with sudden wake-ups. It turned out to be related with a USB internal header connected to the AIO pump (Corsair H80iV2). Once disconnected the USB from the motherboard, sleep is working like a charm.

There's only one problem left which is driving me crazy:
Once I setup my Photo Library, photos started running like crazy, almost killing my system. The only way I found to avoid the problem is start in safe mode and completely delete my photo library. (I have a spare copy on another machine.)
I did research on the forum and it looks like it's kind of common problem and probably something related with Graphics. I tried a few solutions, from changing ATi framebuffer to Orinoco, to disabling TRIM, to deleting photoanalysisd.plist and mediaanalysisd.plist.
Nothing of the above is working. Anyone got a better suggestion ?

Thanks in advance

Last edited:
Hello. I HAVE EXACTLY SUCH ASSEMBLY AND EVERYTHING WORKS NORMALLY. But there is one thing: the video card temperature is 45-50 degrees in idle. Does everyone have this temperature or just me?

Stork, I have a very stable 10.13.6 system and I'd like to move on to Mojave. I did a trial update on a volume I use for tests, and it was fine apart from no Nvidia, of course. I bought a used RX 560 very reasonably that had only been used for 6 weeks. Currently, with my GTX 1050, my kexts include InterlGraphicsFixup, Lilu and WhateverGreen.

I tried the RX 560 and kept getting black screens. If I made the same Radeon tweaks that you did, do you think the RX 560 would work? And for Mojave, would you recommend a fresh install using Unibeast and Multibeast, or updating from 10.13.6?

Back