Contribute
Register

Stork's MyHero II Build: ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z370 HERO X - i7-8700K - AMD RX 580 - Thunderbolt 3

@Stork & @pastrychef out of interest some of the settings you have been recommending people for their clover configs are things I don't seem to be using, yet everything is fully working for me - audio, sleep, shutdown, USB3, iPhone charging, iMessage, continuity & Handoff, SSD Trim (although it does slow my boot time).

Is there anything that I really should have in my config for my setup? I don't have any interest in the onboard graphics, only my GTX960 which works fine with lilu, nvidiagraphicsfixup and nvidiaweb true set in config. I set everything the same in my BIOS as advised on page 1 except I also disabled CSM support as I only boot macOS and like clover in full resolution.

I have attached my EFI folder with my serials changed in the config if you could maybe give me some tips on anything I maybe have wrong. I migrated my build from a P55 i7 860 rig so did not clean install or use multibeast. I do only inject kexts via clover and keep my system extensions folder default. Maybe this will even help some others as all my audio and graphics works fine and just did from first boot.

As I say everything seems to be working for me , the 10.13.5 update was a breeze and I have not crashed this rig once working on it all day for over a month now, but if I can change any settings that will make it even better then I would welcome your expert advice.

• You have two XHCI to XHC DSDT renames, as far as I know, those are not needed.
  • If you don't use/need Quick Sync, AirPlay, HEVC, you don't need to enable IGPU. It's up to you. Real iMacs have IGPU enabled.
  • The SMBIOS section of your config.plist is missing UUID.
  • Your drivers64UEFI folder has OsxAptioFix2Drv-64.efi and OsxAptioFix3Drv-64.efi. Only one should be there. I recommend OsxAptioFix3Drv-64.efi or AptioMemoryFix.efi.
  • If you use OsxAptioFix3Drv-64.efi or AptioMemoryFix.efi, EmuVariableUefi-64.efi is not needed.
  • Your drivers64UEFI folder has VBoxHfs-64.efi. I recommend using HFSPlus.efi instead.
  • I recommend using SSDT for USB rather than 15 port limit KextsToPatch.
  • You have AppleALC.kext and realtekALC.kext installed. Use one, not both.
  • If you use AppleALC.kext (latest version), CodecCommander.kext is not needed.
  • If you use AppleALC.kext, the audio KextsToPatch in your config.plist is not needed.
  • You have XHCI-300-series-injector.kext installed. Despite its name, XHCI-200-series-injector.kext should be used with Z370 motherboards.

Last edited:
  • You have two XHCI to XHC DSDT renames, as far as I know, those are not needed.
  • If you don't use/need Quick Sync, AirPlay, HEVC, you don't need to enable IGPU. It's up to you. Real iMacs have IGPU enabled.
  • The SMBIOS section of your config.plist is missing UUID.
  • Your drivers64UEFI folder has OsxAptioFix2Drv-64.efi and OsxAptioFix3Drv-64.efi. Only one should be there. I recommend OsxAptioFix3Drv-64.efi or AptioMemoryFix.efi.
  • If you use OsxAptioFix3Drv-64.efi or AptioMemoryFix.efi, EmuVariableUefi-64.efi is not needed.
  • Your drivers64UEFI folder has VBoxHfs-64.efi. I recommend using HFSPlus.efi instead.
  • I recommend using SSDT for USB rather than 15 port limit KextsToPatch.
  • You have AppleALC.kext and realtekALC.kext installed. Use one, not both.
  • If you use AppleALC.kext (latest version), CodecCommander.kext is not needed.
  • If you use AppleALC.kext, the audio KextsToPatch in your config.plist is not needed.
  • You have XHCI-300-series-injector.kext installed. Despite its name, XHCI-200-series-injector.kext should be used with Z370 motherboards.
Amazing feedback @pastrychef I really appreciate you taking the time to check that over. If enabling the IGPU isn't going to sacrifice any raw processing performance then I will try and get that enabled as well as AirPlay would be cool to get working (had not even tried it since building this rig to be honest) which I didn't realize was tied to the IGPU. If I have read your replies on this thread correctly, I need to set ig-platform-id=59120003 and inject Intel?

I had deleted my UUID number from the config before uploading - some audio software authorisations are tied to it!

Is the HFSPlus.efi you recommend available in the clover installer? I thought it was the clover team swapped it for VBoxHfs-64.efi?

Any of the clover settings I can get rid of in your opinion? I have seen conflicting things about Asus boards needing Halt Enabler and Fix Shutdown?

Amazing feedback @pastrychef I really appreciate you taking the time to check that over. If enabling the IGPU isn't going to sacrifice any raw processing performance then I will try and get that enabled as well as AirPlay would be cool to get working (had not even tried it since building this rig to be honest) which I didn't realise was tied to the IGPU. If I have read your replies on this thread correctly I need to set ig-platform-id=59120003 and inject intel?

I had deleted my UUID number from the config before uploading - some audio software authorisations are tied to it!

Is the HFSPlus.efi you recommend available in the clover installer? I thought it was the clover team swapped it for VBoxHfs-64.efi?

Any of the clover settings I can get rid of in your opinion? I have seen conflicting things about Asus boards needing Halt Enabler and Fix Shutdown?

Yes, ig-platform-id=59120003 and Inject Intel.

Google found HFSPlus.efi at: https://github.com/JrCs/CloverGrowerPro/blob/master/Files/HFSPlus/X64/HFSPlus.efi
I prefer HFSPlus.efi because VBoxHfs-64.efi caused extreme slow booting on my first build. Since then, I've always used HFSPlus.efi.

I've never used Halt Enabler on my Asus motherboards. I do need Fix Shutdown. Everything else seemed good to me.

If you will be using the GTX 1080, don't connect monitors to the motherboard.
Set ig-platform-id=59120003 and Inject Intel.

System definition is up to you, but iMac18,3 is probably the most popular choice for i7-8700K users.

Thanks man, everything seems to be working fine now!
I have one last question, a minor one:
I use a bluetooth dongle (which is correctly detected by the system by the way) and I paired my mouse and keyboard (with which I'm writing you now); I tried rebooting but in the login screen both stopped working and so I logged with my wired one and paired them again. Is it normal? Or do you know someone who got this thing to work properly even in the login screen?

Thank you again, you really helped me a lot!!

Thanks man, everything seems to be working fine now!
I have one last question, a minor one:
I use a bluetooth dongle (which is correctly detected by the system by the way) and I paired my mouse and keyboard (with which I'm writing you now); I tried rebooting but in the login screen both stopped working and so I logged with my wired one and paired them again. Is it normal? Or do you know someone who got this thing to work properly even in the login screen?

Thank you again, you really helped me a lot!!

I'm only guessing here, but I think you need Bluetooth to be connected to a USB port that is defined as "internal". This can be done with SSDT for USB.

I don't understand "my system is picking up the apple keyboard and trackpad however, when I disconnect the cables to run them on bluetooth, they are not being picked up." The Apple wireless keyboard and trackpad don't have cables...unless...are the keyboard and trackpad Apple Magic 2 devices?
Yes, sorry, they are the magic 2 devices. I went through several install getting things worked out and on several of the installs they worked via bluetooth. They are fine when they are connected via the usb cables, when I disconnect them to run them on bluetooth, they disappear.

I have no idea of how reception is in the area where you are using this Bluetooth adaptor. You can try to minimize interference by (1) plugging the Bluetooth adaptor in to a USB 2 port, (2) avoid using 2.4GHz Wi-Fi, and (3) situating the adaptor as close to your keyboard and trackpad as possible.

Also, did Lilu.kext and AppleALC.kext fix your audio issues?

It's not an interference issue as on several of the installs I went through to get the audio working, they worked via bluetooth in the same location.

I finally got the audio issues worked out, thanks for the help on that.

It's not an interference issue as on several of the installs I went through to get the audio working, they worked via bluetooth in the same location.

I finally got the audio issues worked out, thanks for the help on that.

If reception is not the problem, the only remaining possibility is USB. Using SSDT for USB can only help system stability.

If reception is not the problem, the only remaining possibility is USB. Using SSDT for USB can only help system stability.
Can it have anything to do with the APPLE file in the EFI?

Do you have a link for SSDT for USB I can download and find instructions on implementation?

Back