Contribute
Register

Stork's MyHero II Build: ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z370 HERO X - i7-8700K - AMD RX 580 - Thunderbolt 3

For now, you have to run MultiBeast twice as I described in Post #1. Did you follow those procedures?
I did but it still didn’t work. I actually tried it twice with no luck.

Hi Stork, i have the same board and have completed installation.
Everything is fully working, my only question here is that when I install HWmonitor I cannot see the temps for my CPU, only drive temps are visible, I cannot turn the fans down on my build.
Fake SMC and all kexts are installed, is there anything you can advise that might get me some controls of the fans inside the OS.

This doesn't seem to be the right forum to solve my problem with this build but I hope you can tell me where to seek help. My computer ran great, really great, for about a week then has slowed down. To explain, it runs well on reboot but then over a period of 10 or 15 minutes it gradulally slows, becomes less responsive to the mouse and eventually freezes. I have checked the activity monitor and no process is chewing up cpu cycles or hogging memory. The boot and data drives are not anywhere near being full. Is there a TRIM setting for the NVE m.2 drive? Where to go for help?

Profile edited after reading Stork's reply to reflect ASUS ROG MAXIMUS X, i7 -8700k and Sapphire RX 580 Pulse 8GB

Last edited:
This doesn't seem to be the right forum to solve my problem with this build but I hope you can tell me where to seek help. My computer ran great, really great, for about a week then has slowed down. To explain, it runs well on reboot but then over a period of 10 or 15 minutes it gradulally slows, becomes less responsive to the mouse and eventually freezes. I have checked the activity monitor and no process is chewing up cpu cycles or hogging memory. The boot and data drives are not anywhere near being full. Is there a TRIM setting for the NVE m.2 drive? Where to go for help?
Do you have an ASUS HERO X? Your profile and signature block don't reflect your system if you do have a HERO.

If you installed High Sierra on the NVMe M.2 SSD with AFPS, then you should have TRIM automatically turned on. See top of the screen menu > Apple > About This Mac > System Report > Hardware > NVMExpress to see if you have TRIM on. Like I said, it should be.

However, I think you have another problem which I don't know the solution. I recommend you post your problem in the High Sierra Desktop Support forum section > https://www.tonymacx86.com/forums/high-sierra-desktop-support.190/

Reactions: csw
The 10.13.4 Supplemental Update "broke" the use of my RX 580's DP ports using the System Definition (SMBIOS) iMac18,3 which I used since Sierra 10.12.6. I regained the use of the DP ports by changing the System Definition to iMac14,2. Power Management (PM) is better with 14,2, too. (I'm running the latest Intel PowerGadget (v3.5.2) to confirm I'm getting good PM w/o using a SSDT for PM.)

Hopefully, the next High Sierra update (10.13.5) will correct this problem for the iMac18,3 SysDef.

@Stork, I just swapped out my NIVIDA 1070 and replaced it with a Sapphire RX580 Pulse. Running 10.13.4 Supplemental Update and SysDef 18,3. DP port works fine for me - single 2K monitor.

I noticed someone earlier mentioned that the USB 3.1 ports are running at USB 2 speeds. I have the same issue but didn't see any response. I've put a screenshot from IORegistryExplorer and the USB section of About this Mac.
I see the same low speed regardless of whether it's attached to the Type A or Type C port.

Is anyone else seeing this or have a fix? BTW, running iMac18,3 on the Maximus X Hero Wifi AC

upload_2018-5-28_15-44-19.png upload_2018-5-28_15-45-48.png

Last edited:
Are you able to use the Thunderbolt port on the back of the MoBo? I get this message when I plug in a cable.View attachment 333838
The HERO X does not support Thunderbolt 3 - it has no Thunderbolt head nor chipset. The HERO VIII did have a Thunderbolt header.

Updated to 10.13.5 from 10.13.4 using the following procedures for an AMD graphics card system (for a Nivida graphics card system, see Post #2 here):

:ch: Backup your current installation using Carbon Copy Cloner or SuperDuper;
:ch: Update to the latest Clover (currently v4509): Downloads > Clover Builds.
Note: the tonymacx86 version of v4509 fixes problem with standard v4509. See MacMan's note here.​
:ch: Update your apfs.efi according to tonymacx86s guide How to Update + Current and Past apfs.efi Downloads;
:ch: Update from Apple's Mac App Store - the updater will reboot twice;
:ch: Upon rebooting into High Sierra after the last reboot, you can:
:ch: Check to see if your audio is working. If not, do the following two steps which I had to do:
:ch:Run the MultiBeast and select:
:ch:100 / 200 / 300 Series Audio Support
:ch:200 / Z370 Series / X299 Audio Device ID Patch​
:ch:Build -> Install
:ch:Reboot
:ch:Run MultiBeast again and select:
:ch:ALC1220​
:ch:Build -> Install
:ch:Reboot again​

Last edited:
Back