Contribute
Register

Stork's MyHero II Build: ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z370 HERO X - i7-8700K - AMD RX 580 - Thunderbolt 3

Hi again! Both GPU seems to work but there is something weird going on. FPS cap at 60fps in both cinebench and heaven. And heaven benchmark says i have 256mb memory in the vega 56. The system can recognize the 8176MB memory though.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2019-03-02 at 08.37.43.png
    Screenshot 2019-03-02 at 08.37.43.png
    43.5 KB · Views: 59
  • Screenshot 2019-03-02 at 08.29.11.png
    Screenshot 2019-03-02 at 08.29.11.png
    68.4 KB · Views: 78
  • Screenshot 2019-03-02 at 08.49.08.png
    Screenshot 2019-03-02 at 08.49.08.png
    20.7 KB · Views: 70
Hi again! Both GPU seems to work but there is something weird going on. FPS cap at 60fps in both cinebench and heaven. And heaven benchmark says i have 256mb memory in the vega 56. The system can recognize the 8176MB memory though.

When you run the benchmarks, make sure Safari is not running. When I ran Unigine Heaven and Valley with Safari open, everything was capped at 60fps too.

When you run the benchmarks, make sure Safari is not running. When I ran Unigine Heaven and Valley with Safari open, everything was capped at 60fps too.
It got more FPS without any browser running but not as good as i used to Im thinking maybe i have some kexts loaded that should not be there. I have for example some kexts in EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other that also exist in /L/E can i remove the "Other" kexts?

I went from 60FPS to 100FPS when closing chrome/safari
I went from 100FPS to 141FPS after removing following kexts from /L/E
FakeSMC_ACPISensors.kext/
FakeSMC_CPUSensors.kext/
FakeSMC_GPUSensors.kext/
FakeSMC_LPCSensors.kext/
FakeSMC_SMMSensors.kext/

Now its much better! :)

Last edited:
Tried booting with your platform ID clover devices patch and it is exactly the same as letting whatevergreen injection on the fly - Still says UHD630 (Mobile). Wonder if that is because I am on High Sierra rather than Mojave, or because I have not updated the Framebuffer.kext since version 10.14.0. I will pull over the 10.14.3 version from my MacBook when I get the time just out of curiosity! Not like I even do any video encoding, but just like getting things to work :)
How does your System Report -> Graphics/Displays look like? I can only see my Vega 56 GPU there and when i go GPU history in Activity Monitor it only shows my Vega 56 but when i run the Video Converter it can find the Intel UHD Graphics 630. So something is rotten in the state of Denmark

Also when running geekbench i can only run test on Vega 56. it can not find the iGPU

Last edited:
How does your System Report -> Graphics/Displays look like? I can only see my Vega 56 GPU there and when i go GPU history in Activity Monitor it only shows my Vega 56 but when i run the Video Converter it can find the Intel UHD Graphics 630. So something is rotten in the state of Denmark

Also when running geekbench i can only run test on Vega 56. it can not find the iGPU
I only see my RX580 under graphics / displays but as far as I am aware this is the normal and expected behaviour when CORRECTLY enabling the iGPU alongside a dGPU, also being the same on a real mac. Using IORegistryExplorer and searching for GPU will show that the system is using both the iGPU and PEG0, plus for me opening Geekbench and selecting the Compute tab does show both but I can only select my RX580 to benchmark.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-03-02 at 17.38.20.png
    Screen Shot 2019-03-02 at 17.38.20.png
    59.1 KB · Views: 98
  • Screen Shot 2019-03-02 at 17.39.38.png
    Screen Shot 2019-03-02 at 17.39.38.png
    191.6 KB · Views: 91
I started to update from 10.13.5 to 10.13.6 per post 295. So first I installed Clover 4586. Now I can't boot to High Sierra at all so I can't perform the next step to edit the config.plist. On attempting to boot I get to the Clover 4586 screen ... testing hardware ...user settings ... scan entries... boot MacOS from High Sierra then the screen goes blank and the computer reboots. What to do?

I only see my RX580 under graphics / displays but as far as I am aware this is the normal and expected behaviour when CORRECTLY enabling the iGPU alongside a dGPU, also being the same on a real mac. Using IORegistryExplorer and searching for GPU will show that the system is using both the iGPU and PEG0, plus for me opening Geekbench and selecting the Compute tab does show both but I can only select my RX580 to benchmark.
Great! Then it's probably how it should be. The reason I was wondering was because on my MacBook Pro 15" 2017 I can see two graphics cards. But there I also can choose which one to use for my display.

I started to update from 10.13.5 to 10.13.6 per post 295. So first I installed Clover 4586. Now I can't boot to High Sierra at all so I can't perform the next step to edit the config.plist. On attempting to boot I get to the Clover 4586 screen ... testing hardware ...user settings ... scan entries... boot MacOS from High Sierra then the screen goes blank and the computer reboots. What to do?
The current Clover version in the tonymacx86 Downloads is r4862. Can you boot into 10.13.5 from your USB Installer? If so, download the Clover r4862 installer, put on your USB Installer, boot into 10.13.15 and run the Clover installer.

Cinebench is a very bad benchmark for GPUs. With a powerful video card, your benchmark results will almost certainly be bottlenecked by CPU.

I just ran Cinebench on my Vega 56 and macOS Mojave 10.14.3 and got 177.15fps.

Therefore, in your situation, the first place I would check would be to see if the CPU is running optimally.

As I said, the old Cinebench GPU benchmark did not do a good job at representing GPU performance. It appears that even Maxon recognized this and have removed the GPU test entirely from the latest version of Cinebench.

Back