Contribute
Register

Stork's MyHero II Build: ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z370 HERO X - i7-8700K - AMD RX 580 - Thunderbolt 3

Im running Mojave 10.14 and seems that USB 3.0 does not work directly when i run MultiBeast 10.4...
Ah, that explains it - you're running Mojave. I'm still on High Sierra and won't upgrade to at least Mojave 10.14.3.

However, you are correct that the PMHeart USB patch has been upgraded for Mojave...and probably the other kexts that MultiBeast 10.4 installs.

I will look into the new kexts if stuff stops working. :)

There is another thing though that I've had in High Sierra also but never cared about it until now when I connected a external backup disk to the computer.

When computer goes to sleep, it "sleep-cycles?" a lot. Goes into sleep and out of sleep and continues to do that until I wake it. I just noticed it when I had an external disk plugged in and came back to the computer. There was like 100 of those "Disk Not Ejected Properly" warnings. Any idea what it could be? (This was the USB-C port in the back, I'm going to try USB3 port and see if it has same problem.)

Hey Stork, love the detailed build, quick question, I’m a mix engineer looking at switching to Hackintosh from my aging 2012 Mac Pro 5.1, I’ve up the CPU’s to 12 core (3.46 I think) and ram to 32 & anNvme drive for audio work (not boot) I’m find High Sierra performance a bit laggy now, possibly my old GPU but is it a world of difference to your build?
Logic limits each channel to a core so the 12 core is good at spreading the load, though I’m sure the Coffee Lake is way faster, are there any concerns with less cores for audio work?
Appreciate any advice, I built a gaming Hackintosh for my daughter a few years back and that was a great success, but .ive held off till now for my studio machine, Ideally I’d like to build a dual boot for a bit gaming.
Cheers

Hey Stork, love the detailed build, quick question, I’m a mix engineer looking at switching to Hackintosh from my aging 2012 Mac Pro 5.1, I’ve up the CPU’s to 12 core (3.46 I think) and ram to 32 & anNvme drive for audio work (not boot) I’m find High Sierra performance a bit laggy now, possibly my old GPU but is it a world of difference to your build?
Logic limits each channel to a core so the 12 core is good at spreading the load, though I’m sure the Coffee Lake is way faster, are there any concerns with less cores for audio work?
Appreciate any advice, I built a gaming Hackintosh for my daughter a few years back and that was a great success, but .ive held off till now for my studio machine, Ideally I’d like to build a dual boot for a bit gaming.
Cheers
I'm still using my Mac Pro 5,1 with a (single) X5690 processor and a MVC flashed R9 290X graphics card. (I have a Sapphire RX 580 Pulse 8GB sitting on the shelve awaiting to see if Apple updates the BootROM to take a non EFI graphics card.). I recently mod'd the BootROM to accept a NVMe boot drive, and I am using Samsung 970 EVO NVMe 512GB M.2 SSD with an Angelbird Wing PCIe NVMe M.2 adapter card. The Mojave full installer has an updated MP5,1 BootROM (148.0.0.0.0) which now allows for NVMe M.2 SSD booting. My MP5,1 also has the HighPoint RocketU 1144C USB 3.0 PCIe card but I hardly use it. Thus, my MP5,1 keeps on chugging along.

That said, I really like MyHero II. If you're going to give up on a Mac Pro for audio, then the ASUS HERO series is a good to use. However, BoomR, one of our Moderators who is also an audio engineer and has recently gotten into audio/video production, uses the Gigabyte GA-Z370 AORUS Ultra Gaming motherboard based system so he can use his Thunderbolt peripherals (which the HERO X can not do). His Golden Build descriptions are a good read as is his sticky threads in the Music forum section. Here's his Z370 build description.

I'm still using my Mac Pro 5,1 with a (single) X5690 processor and a MVC flashed R9 290X graphics card. (I have a Sapphire RX 580 Pulse 8GB sitting on the shelve awaiting to see if Apple updates the BootROM to take a non EFI graphics card.). I recently mod'd the BootROM to accept a NVMe boot drive, and I am using Samsung 970 EVO NVMe 512GB M.2 SSD with an Angelbird Wing PCIe NVMe M.2 adapter card. The Mojave full installer has an updated MP5,1 BootROM (148.0.0.0.0) which now allows for NVMe M.2 SSD booting. My MP5,1 also has the HighPoint RocketU 1144C USB 3.0 PCIe card but I hardly use it. Thus, my MP5,1 keeps on chugging along.

That said, I really like MyHero II. If you're going to give up on a Mac Pro for audio, then the ASUS HERO series is a good to use. However, BoomR, one of our Moderators who is also an audio engineer and has recently gotten into audio/video production, uses the Gigabyte GA-Z370 AORUS Ultra Gaming motherboard based system so he can use his Thunderbolt peripherals (which the HERO X can not do). His Golden Build descriptions are a good read as is his sticky threads in the Music forum section. Here's his Z370 build description.

Thanks for the quick reply Stork, and the links, thats perfect, I have the NVMe setup, though am holding off from Mojave for now and I'm not bothered about the boot, the SSD is ok, but good to know for the future thank you. I also got the USB 3 but recently took it out as I don't use it either. First thing I'll do is upgrade the graphics card , I have a 7850 but haven't had the nerve (or time) to flash it yet, I think I'll try and find an AMD card like yours with a bit more grunt, they should be quite cheap maybe that will fix the lag I'm seeing in High Sierra.

:(
Help.. @Stork, @pastrychef
Just rebooted, and my hackintosh does not boot anymore :(
It gives me an Installer screen? -> I uploaded the Log.
When I use -v in Clover and select Boot without injected kext it will boot, but no NVidea of course.
How can I fix this, I don't know what I did wrong.

Attachments

• Installer Log 1-Nov-2018.txt
    95.7 KB · Views: 128
:(
Help.. @Stork, @pastrychef
Just rebooted, and my hackintosh does not boot anymore :(
It gives me an Installer screen? -> I uploaded the Log.
When I use -v in Clover and select Boot without injected kext it will boot, but no NVidea of course.
How can I fix this, I don't know what I did wrong.

I don't understand... Why do you have an install log if you just rebooted?

Thanks for helping.
I really don't know :( what happend. Does Clover select my second (wrong) SSD?
There seems to be an VM partion - 2GB on my boot SSD. Should I remove it?
Problem is how to get it fixed? Remove kexts?
Start all over again?

Sorry, lots of questions, I'm a real NOOB

Thanks for helping.
I really don't know :( what happend.
Problem is how to get it fixed? Remove kexts?
Start all over again?
Have you perhaps left a USB installer in one of the ports ?

Have you perhaps left a USB installer in one of the ports ?
No, did not ..
Just booted Clover, selcted my High Sierra, boot without kext injected, selcted NVIDIA web, seems to boot, but I've got a black screen.

Back