Contribute
Register

Stork's MyHero II Build: ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z370 HERO X - i7-8700K - AMD RX 580 - Thunderbolt 3

Please enter the following in to Terminal and post the output:
Code:
log show --style syslog | fgrep "Wake reason"

100C is bad. I would not push the CPU until you fix cooling. Ideally, you should try to keep the CPU at a max of about 80C.

Double check that you have mounted the CPU cooler properly. Maybe a better thermal compound between the CPU and CPU cooler can help.

Yes, I have extremely high regard for Noctua coolers. My NH-D15S has been fantastic and keeps my overclocked i7-8700K comfortably under 80C under full load.

Thanks for helping :)
Last login: Wed Oct 17 15:37:32 on ttys000
Wims-iMac:~ wimev$ log show --style syslog | fgrep "Wake reason"
2018-10-17 15:38:12.150541+0200 localhost kernel[0]: (AppleACPIPlatform) AppleACPIPlatformPower Wake reason: XDCI XHC
2018-10-17 15:38:12.150542+0200 localhost kernel[0]: (AppleACPIPlatform) AppleACPIPlatformPower Wake reason: XDCI XHC
2018-10-17 15:39:13.189690+0200 localhost kernel[0]: (AppleACPIPlatform) AppleACPIPlatformPower Wake reason: XDCI XHC
2018-10-17 15:39:13.189690+0200 localhost kernel[0]: (AppleACPIPlatform) AppleACPIPlatformPower Wake reason: XDCI XHC
Wims-iMac:~ wimev$

Thanks for helping :)
Last login: Wed Oct 17 15:37:32 on ttys000
Wims-iMac:~ wimev$ log show --style syslog | fgrep "Wake reason"
2018-10-17 15:38:12.150541+0200 localhost kernel[0]: (AppleACPIPlatform) AppleACPIPlatformPower Wake reason: XDCI XHC
2018-10-17 15:38:12.150542+0200 localhost kernel[0]: (AppleACPIPlatform) AppleACPIPlatformPower Wake reason: XDCI XHC
Wims-iMac:~ wimev$

Configure your USB following this guide.

Hello, I'm new here, and this is my first Hackintosh.

I'm struggling hard.

I've installed Mojave, and could reach the desktop, and did all the post-install thing.

But now, the only way to reach the desktop again is to boot on safemode(-x) from the USB Key.

When I boot from the disk, got Attempting System restart on the verbose.

What can I do ?

Thank you very much !!

Last edited:
Hey again, I'm back and got some time to build my first hackintosh. Everything is correctly built (IT guy checked it), and I updated firmware to 1704, did all the BIOS settings as mentioned in Step 3 of the tonymacx86 guide & in this thread, although I didn't find the option of "IO Serial Port" and "XHCI Handoff" (I have no option for XHCI in Advanced -> USB, it looks like ziggywhat's screen )

I created the UniBeast stick correctly, booted from it, went through the installation but got the error: "the installer resources have expired". From that point it rebooted every time after I erased the SSD and tried a new installation of High Sierra with an unfinished installation ... After the reboot, I get the Clover option of 1. Installing from the USB Stick and 2. Installing from the HFS+ (I chose that option before I got the error "the installer resourced have expired", no idea why it appears with an unfinished installation) but neither of them are resulting in a working installation. So, I'm struggling right now and want to ask you guys for some help :(

I googled that error also for myself and followed a guy mentioning on this forum that the Terminal line "ntpdate -u "time.apple.com" with followed erase of the SSD would help (6 people liked that post so I assumed that would help maybe). Not for me, same result :( The next line in the Terminal tells me something from 15:xx but its 17:50. So I'm about to think that the network is a problem, but the same cable going to another computer is working well :/

Any ideas what could solve my problem? I've read also in this forum that some guys had only problem with installing High Sierra, but Sierra worked for them, and they installed High Sierra later but I don't think that would be the case on this specific build, right?

Sorry for the heavy input, but its difficult as a beginner on this area ..:(

Thx already for the help :thumbup:

Last edited:
Please enter the following in to Terminal and post the output:
Code:
log show --style syslog | fgrep "Wake reason"

100C is bad. I would not push the CPU until you fix cooling. Ideally, you should try to keep the CPU at a max of about 80C.

Double check that you have mounted the CPU cooler properly. Maybe a better thermal compound between the CPU and CPU cooler can help.

Yes, I have extremely high regard for Noctua coolers. My NH-D15S has been fantastic and keeps my overclocked i7-8700K comfortably under 80C under full load.

Just wanted to also give a thumbs up for the Noctua D15. I have it on my build as well (the duel fan version) in a fractal define R5 and even under load it runs close to silent. I have not bothered overclocking my 8700k yet but it idles around 29C and with a very plugin heavy Pro Tools session that pushes CPU usage up to 60% my temps never go above 40C.

I found a solution for this, posting it so someone could benefit as well.
There's only one problem left which is driving me crazy:
Once I setup my Photo Library, photos started running like crazy, almost killing my system. The only way I found to avoid the problem is start in safe mode and completely delete my photo library. (I have a spare copy on another machine.)
I did research on the forum and it looks like it's kind of common problem and probably something related with Graphics.
Apart from photo crashing every time I open it, I also got crashes while trying out the new Adobe Rush (Premiere slimmed down version), so I decided to try and fix the problem at the root.

I first removed the RX580 Nitro and made sure my system would work with the integrated Intel 630 Graphic:
I started out with exactly all suggested tweaks from StorX, but for this to work flawlessly and avoid crashes, I had to change SMBIOS definition to iMac 18,1 as suggested by party chef in another thread, otherwise I got some bad screen flickers.

I then put back the RX580 Nitro , and tried a ton of hypothetical fixes, all of them failing but one simple trick:
I think the main point was to tell the system what is the IGPU and what is the GPU.

It is done like this in the config.plist under "Patches":
Code:
<dict>
                    <key>Comment</key>
                    <string>change GFX0 to IGPU</string>
                    <key>Disabled</key>
                    <false/>
                    <key>Enabled</key>
                    <true/>
                    <key>Find</key>
                    <data>
                    R0ZYMA==
                    </data>
                    <key>Replace</key>
                    <data>
                    SUdQVQ==
                    </data>
                </dict>
                <dict>
                    <key>Comment</key>
                    <string>Rename PEG0 to GFX0</string>
                    <key>Disabled</key>
                    <false/>
                    <key>Find</key>
                    <data>
                    UEVHUA==
                    </data>
                    <key>Replace</key>
                    <data>
                    R0ZYMA==
                    </data>
                </dict>

I actually don't know why, but performance-wise this seems to have had some contrasting impact aswell:
I lost a few fps in cinebench, dropping from a steady average of 140/150 to a less consistent 120/145
Geekbench OpenCL performance got improved from 126k+ to 137k+
LuxMark HDR Ball went from 13,5k to 15,5k

Anyone knows if I'm missing out something important in using the iMac18,1 definition ?

Last edited:
@WedgeTail I noticed that your graphics card is running at x8, maybe because you left the 1050 still plugged in? If not may I suggest that you take out the card then reseat it as ran into a similar issue with my Z77 build that caused my card to be running at x2 with no other cards in any of the PCIe slots...

HI Dajjal -- No, the only other PCIE card I have installed is a Wi-Fi card in the x4 slot. Thanks for the advice. I took advantage of taking my system down for a Windows install on a separate drive, and did as you suggested. I have needed to press on the back end of the RX 560 to align the fasteners with the frame holes (had to do the same when I was using the 1050), so I tried to alter that. Screen Shot 2018-10-22 at 19.51.52.png
No change, I'm afraid, but I don't think it would make much difference to the performance, which has been all I would expect.

Back