Contribute
Register

Stork's MyHero II Build: ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z370 HERO X - i7-8700K - AMD RX 580 - Thunderbolt 3

Motherboard
Asus Maximus X Hero Z370
CPU
i7-8700K
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hello everyone!

I have this build and yesterday updated succesfully to Monterey 12.3 from Big Sur.

Previously updated OpenCore to 0.79 and the latest Lilu/Whatever/Alc/etc and did a full mirror backup to a second NVME using CCC "legacy bootable copy", which was something i didn't tested yet and i can confirm works perfectly replicating the os/data/recovery structure on the main drive: the only thing to care about is copying your actual EFI to the mirrored disk EFI if you want a completely independent boot drive.

Everything went smooth at first glance, but boot time exploded considerably, from < 30sec to few minutes.
After a bit of inspection with verbose mode, i tracked it down to Monterey performing a series of trim on the NVMEs during boot which repeteadly ends into timeouts and presents itself on the next boot.

To restore the original boot speed i followed the advice on dortania Opencore manual
"On macOS 12+, it is no longer possible to specify trim timeout for APFS filesystems. However, it can be disabled by setting 0."

So changing this value to 0 restored the normal boot speed but i'm wondering at which cost ?

If i check into system report i still see both disks reporting "TRIM Support: Yes", but afaik trim does get performed during boot from osx, so in the end i suspect the disk is not being trimmed at all.

Any suggestions / feedbacks ??
Thanks in advance

Last edited:

UtterDisbelief

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z590i Aorus Ultra - OC 0.8.0
CPU
i5-10600k
Graphics
Dell RX560
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. Mac mini
Classic Mac
  1. eMac
  2. iBook
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hello everyone!

I have this build and yesterday updated succesfully to Monterey 12.3 from Big Sur.

Previously updated OpenCore to 0.79 and the latest Lilu/Whatever/Alc/etc and did a full mirror backup to a second NVME using CCC "legacy bootable copy", which was something i didn't tested yet and i can confirm works perfectly replicating the os/data/recovery structure on the main drive: the only thing to care about is copying your actual EFI to the mirrored disk EFI if you want a completely independent boot drive.

Everything went smooth at first glance, but boot time exploded considerably, from < 30sec to few minutes.
After a bit of inspection with verbose mode, i tracked it down to Monterey performing a series of trim on the NVMEs during boot which repeteadly ends into timeouts and presents itself on the next boot.

To restore the original boot speed i followed the advice on dortania Opencore manual
"On macOS 12+, it is no longer possible to specify trim timeout for APFS filesystems. However, it can be disabled by setting 0."

So changing this value to 0 restored the normal boot speed but i'm wondering at which cost ?

If i check into system report i still see both disks reporting "TRIM Support: Yes", but afaik trim does get performed during boot from osx, so in the end i suspect the disk is not being trimmed at all.

Any suggestions / feedbacks ??
Thanks in advance

Hi there.

This is a well-known problem with Monterey.

Please see this thread:

https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/general-nvme-drive-problems-fatal.316546/unread

Motherboard
ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z370 HERO X
CPU
i9-9900K
Graphics
Radeon VII
Hi to everyone,
In your knowledge at today do you know if Silicon Power NVMe drives are affected by the problem in Trim on last version of Monterey (12.3)?

Motherboard
ASUS ROG MAXIMUS X HERO Z370
CPU
i7-8086K
Graphics
Vega 56
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook
  3. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Question, my perfect system for almost 3 years, won’t start. After The first BIOS beep (sounds normal), I hear one long and three short beeps. No BIOS, black screen. Video card error?
I removed my Vega64, connected cables to intern video card of The Asus Hero X, but BIOS won’t start.

Any suggestions?

pastrychef

Motherboard
Asus Z370-G Gaming (Wi-Fi AC)
CPU
i9-9900K OC'd @ 5.0GHz
Graphics
RX 6600 XT
Mac
  1. MacBook
  2. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. iBook
  2. Power Mac
  3. PowerBook
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Question, my perfect system for almost 3 years, won’t start. After The first bios beep (sounds normal) I hear one long and three short beeps. No bios, black screen. Videocard error?
I removed my Vega64, connected cables to intern videocard of The Asus Hero X, but bios won’t start.

Any suggestions?

Try clearing CMOS.

Motherboard
CPU
i7-8086K
Graphics
Vega 56
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook
  3. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
By removing the battery? Ok, I’ll try that tomorrow. Thanks for The advice

pastrychef

Motherboard
Asus Z370-G Gaming (Wi-Fi AC)
CPU
i9-9900K OC'd @ 5.0GHz
Graphics
RX 6600 XT
Mac
  1. MacBook
  2. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. iBook
  2. Power Mac
  3. PowerBook
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
By removing the battery? Ok, I’ll try that tomorrow. Thanks for The advice

There should be a tiny button on the motherboard you can press or two pins you can short to clear CMOS. Make sure to disconnect the power cord from the power supply before you clear CMOS.

Last edited:
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390 Gaming X
CPU
i9-9900K
Graphics
6900XT
Mac
  1. iMac
Classic Mac
  1. LC
  2. Power Mac
  3. PowerBook
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Question, my perfect system for almost 3 years, won’t start. After The first BIOS beep (sounds normal), I hear one long and three short beeps. No BIOS, black screen. Video card error?
I removed my Vega64, connected cables to intern video card of The Asus Hero X, but BIOS won’t start.

Any suggestions?

A quick Google search pulled up a list of ASUS beep codes on a site called softwarekeep. They say 1 long + 3 short means a Conventional or Extended memory failure. Maybe try reseating the memory?

Motherboard
CPU
i7-8086K
Graphics
Vega 56
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook
  3. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
There should be a tiny button on the motherboard you can press or two pins you can short to clear CMOS. Make sure to disconnect the power cord from the power supply before you clear CMOS.
I removed battery (could not find the clear cmos button) and Yes, the hackintosh starts.
Now I’ll rebuild the Vega 64 (56) and give it onother try.
Thanks again