Contribute
Register

Stork's MyHero II Build: ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z370 HERO X - i7-8700K - AMD RX 580 - Thunderbolt 3

Motherboard
Asus MAXIMUS XI HERO
CPU
i7-8700K
Graphics
RX5700 XT
Mac
  1. iMac
Classic Mac
  1. iMac
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Hi Stork! at long last after much dithering, I have finally committed to building a pretty close copy of your project.

The parts are ordered -- Newegg Canada prices:

1 x ($139.99) Cooler Master HAF XB EVO - High Air Flow Test Bench and LAN Box Desktop Computer Case with ATX Motherboard Support

1 x ($336.55) SilverStone Strider SST-ST70F-TI 700W ATX12V / EPS12V 80 PLUS TITANIUM Certified Full Modular Active PFC Power Supply

1 x ($41.27) Thermaltake Slim X3 CLP0534 80mm CPU Cooler

1 x ($389.99) ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero (Wi-Fi) Z390 Gaming Motherboard LGA1151 (Intel 8th and 9th Gen) ATX DDR4 DP HDMI M.2 USB 3.1 Gen2 Onboard 802.11 ac

1 x ($469.99) Intel Core i7-8700K Coffee Lake 6-Core 3.7 GHz (4.7 GHz Turbo) LGA 1151 (300 Series) 95W BX80684I78700K Desktop Processor Intel UHD Graphics 630

1 x ($366.60) Ballistix Sport LT - DDR4 - 32 GB: 2 x 16 GB - DIMM 288-pin - 2400 MHz / PC4-19200 - CL16 - 1.2 V - unbuffered - non-ECC

1 x ($279.99) Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 580 8GB GDDR5 PCI-E Dual HDMI / DVI-D / Dual DP OC w/ Backplate (UEFI), 100411P8GOCL

1 x ($255.99) SAMSUNG 970 EVO M.2 2280 500GB PCIe Gen3. X4, NVMe 1.3 V-NAND 3-bit MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) MZ-V7E500BW

1 x ($11.99) Arctic Silver 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver Thermal Compound AS5-3.5G

Also a couple of 2TB WD disks plus some 16GB thumbdrives for the install and an external USB drive for backups.

Plan is to build at the recommended OSX release (whichever is easiest to integrate the graphics card), then restore all my apps, user files etc from GiGi via Time Machine.

This will be only my 2nd build so I'm a tad nervous :) but OTOH I got the same case I used before and same P/S brand so it should be fairly familiar. And I know I can count on this web site for expert advice, so... watching the calendar now waiting for my boxes to show up at the PO! Just wanted to let you know I did finally bite the bullet and order the Sapphire cards (one for the new build and one to upgrade GiGi which will be given to my partner). So you were not wasting your time giving me advice and encouragement some months back :) had a good long summer vacation... and now it's raining and I'm ready to tackle indoor projects. Will document as I go and write it up properly.

Last edited:
Motherboard
Asus Strix Z490-E Gaming
CPU
i9-9900K
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac mini
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Hi guys. Just wanted to say thank you for all your hard work and also ask a question if possible.
I am planning to make another build. Usually i use gigabyte motherboards but i found a sh system with ASUS ROG-STRIX Z370-H Gaming. Is this motherboard ok for a mojave build? Will i be able to make everything work same like with asus rog maximus hero? I saw it has a slightly different audio codec. it`s that a big deal? Thank you and i am sorry if it`s off topic.

Motherboard
ASUS Z370 MAXIMUS HERO X
CPU
i7-8700
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. Mac mini
Classic Mac
  1. SE/30
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. iOS
Please post your EFI folder and a screenshot of what's in your /Library/Extensions/ folder.

Also, please enter the following in Terminal and post the output:
Code:
pmset -g log | grep -i failure

Thank you @pastrychef ! :)
Attached the Clover folder + screenshot of /L/E/

both "pmset -g log | grep -i failure" and "sudo pmset -g log | grep -i failure" didn't show any output

Attachments

• CLOVER.zip
    2.2 MB · Views: 40
  • Screenshot L-E.png
    Screenshot L-E.png
    319.3 KB · Views: 36

pastrychef

Motherboard
Asus Z370-G Gaming (Wi-Fi AC)
CPU
i9-9900K OC'd @ 5.0GHz
Graphics
Vega 56 (Bios flashed to 64)
Mac
  1. MacBook
  2. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. iBook
  2. Power Mac
  3. PowerBook
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Thank you @pastrychef ! :)
Attached the Clover folder + screenshot of /L/E/

both "pmset -g log | grep -i failure" and "sudo pmset -g log | grep -i failure" didn't show any output

Make backups of your existing EFI and files.

Please try using the attached EFI folder. Copy/paste your Serial, Board Serial, and UUID from your existing config.plist to the config.plist in my EFI folder.

Make sure IGPU is enabled in BIOS and allocate 64MB of memory to it.
Also, Primary Display should be set to your RX 580.

The SSDT-EC.aml isn't really necessary. You can try with and without it to see if it affects your sleep.
If you are absolutely positive that your SSDT-UIAC.aml file was made specifically for your motherboard, you can copy it to my EFI. If it was NOT made specifically for your motherboard, DO NOT use it. You can easily create one of your own using Hackintool. If/when you use an SSDT for USB with my EFI folder, you should disable all the USB KextsToPatches in config.plist.

Delete the following from /Library/Extensions/:
FakeSMC_ACPISensors.kext
FakeSMC_CPUSensors.kext
FakeSMC_GPUSensors.kext
FakeSMC_LPCSensors.kext
FakeSMC_SMMSensors.kext
FakeSMC.kext
IntelMausiEthernet.kext
Lilu.kext
RealtekRTL8111.kext
USBInjectAll.kext
WhateverGreen.kext

Attachments

• EFI Unified r5.1.1 (Mojave_Catalina PB).zip
    29.4 MB · Views: 61
Last edited:
Motherboard
ASUS Z370 MAXIMUS HERO X
CPU
i7-8700
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. Mac mini
Classic Mac
  1. SE/30
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. iOS
Make backups of your existing EFI and files.

Please try using the attached EFI folder. Copy/paste your Serial, Board Serial, and UUID from your existing config.plist to the config.plist in my EFI folder.

Delete the following from /Library/Extensions/:
FakeSMC_ACPISensors.kext
FakeSMC_CPUSensors.kext
FakeSMC_GPUSensors.kext
FakeSMC_LPCSensors.kext
FakeSMC_SMMSensors.kext
FakeSMC.kext
IntelMausiEthernet.kext
Lilu.kext
RealtekRTL8111.kext
USBInjectAll.kext
WhateverGreen.kext

Thank you very much @pastrychef I'll make a try to see the advantage of your configuration and report back.

I have a couple of questions just for me to learn:
- what did you find wrong /misconfigured in my config.plist ?

- I was reading in many builds that people were suggesting to move kext from Clover to macos (/L/E).. you instead your telling me to do the opposite.. what is the advantage from one approach to another?

thanks in advance to help me learning :)

pastrychef

Motherboard
CPU
i9-9900K OC'd @ 5.0GHz
Graphics
Mac
  1. MacBook
  2. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. iBook
  2. Power Mac
  3. PowerBook
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Thank you very much @pastrychef I'll make a try to see the advantage of your configuration and report back.

I have a couple of questions just for me to learn:
- what did you find wrong /misconfigured in my config.plist ?

- I was reading in many builds that people were suggesting to move kext from Clover to macos (/L/E).. you instead your telling me to do the opposite.. what is the advantage from one approach to another?

thanks in advance to help me learning :)

I don't remember. Lol. But I felt it needed enough changes that it was just easier to start fresh...

Both /Library/Extensions/ and /EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other/ work. One is more of a PITA to maintain and update than the other. I choose the easier route. It's up to you which method you want to use.

Edit:
One more advantage to using /EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other/ is that you can enable SIP.

Last edited:

Stork

Admin
Staff member
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z690 Aero G
CPU
i5-12600K
Graphics
RX 6800 XT
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac mini
  3. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Power Mac
  2. PowerBook
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi guys. Just wanted to say thank you for all your hard work and also ask a question if possible.
I am planning to make another build. Usually i use gigabyte motherboards but i found a sh system with ASUS ROG-STRIX Z370-H Gaming. Is this motherboard ok for a mojave build? Will i be able to make everything work same like with asus rog maximus hero? I saw it has a slightly different audio codec. it`s that a big deal? Thank you and i am sorry if it`s off topic.
The Z370-H should work fine with Mojave. However, I recommend that you look at @pastrychef's Golden Build for the Z370 as he is more knowledgeable about the Z370-x motherboards.

pastrychef

Motherboard
CPU
i9-9900K OC'd @ 5.0GHz
Graphics
Mac
  1. MacBook
  2. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. iBook
  2. Power Mac
  3. PowerBook
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS

The Z370-H should be a fine motherboard for hackintoshing. The audio codec is also fine.

Motherboard
ASUS Z370 MAXIMUS HERO X
CPU
i7-8700
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. Mac mini
Classic Mac
  1. SE/30
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. iOS
I don't remember. Lol. But I felt it needed enough changes that it was just easier to start fresh...

Edit:
One more advantage to using /EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other/ is that you can enable SIP.

thanks for the explanation... what is SIP exactly?