Contribute
Register

Stork's MyHero Build: ASUS ROG Z170 MAXIMUS VIII HERO - i7-6700K - GTX 980

Status
Not open for further replies.
... you better do a fresh install and import your data and applications without your settings.

The "fresh" install will come in the future when I can install Big Sur. But first I need to convert to an AMD Video card and upgrade my older 32bit apps. What I want NOW is to incrementally update one thing at a time and I do not want to waste effort on a re-install chain. Thank you for your effort anyway. I read your previous post and have used it to reinforce what the Dortania guides are saying.

The "fresh" install will come in the future when I can install Big Sur. But first I need to convert to an AMD Video card and upgrade my older 32bit apps. What I want NOW is to incrementally update one thing at a time and I do not want to waste effort on a re-install chain. Thank you for your effort anyway. I read your previous post and have used it to reinforce what the Dortania guides are saying.
Right now Big Sur just isnt there for full use. Im a FCPX user and Big Sur even with the 11.1 update hurts renders and processing large 4k videos. I do have backup drives which in the Hackintosh world are a must, I would hold off a while on the upgrade to Big Sur. The 11.1 update made some weird things happen. But if you do decide try my best to be of help. If your a FCPX user I have a spread sheet of nearly 3 years of releases in the osx era.

I successfully moved to OpenCore! (0.6.3) and I changed my SysDef to 18,3 and IStuff is all working. I did NOT perform a fresh install (that’s coming.)

My desire for Big Sur has to do with wanting to use the XCode versions available only on BS.
While I do use FCP, I’m not recording any 4K outside what my iPhone/iPad are doing.

Basically:
Clover has files integrated into the OS.
OC has its files separated from the OS, and OC does its tricks before MacOS enter the scene

Last edited:
anyone with this board have the Samsung 960 pro M.2 (mines 512gb) on this build with the advertised (or at least expected) speeds?

Advertised Speed: Read speeds of up to 3,500 MB/s and write speeds of up to 2,100 MB/s

Ive never been able to get better than half of those advertised speeds.

The 960 pro is my boot drive as APFS file system(trim enabled), its current temp is 52C but it fluctuates between 49-55C, no heat sink, there's plenty of space around card. only PCIe card is the AMD 580 GPU in the x16 slot, and smaller wifi/bluetooth in pci slot, neither of which should affect the m.2 performance.

attached are my speeds in black magic and info about the drive and my build.

Any help greatly appreciated!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-01-08 at 10.20.54 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-01-08 at 10.20.54 AM.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 66
  • Screen Shot 2021-01-08 at 10.21.03 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-01-08 at 10.21.03 AM.png
    767.7 KB · Views: 71
  • Screen Shot 2021-01-09 at 1.34.22 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-01-09 at 1.34.22 PM.png
    329 KB · Views: 69
anyone with this board have the Samsung 960 pro M.2 (mines 512gb) on this build with the advertised (or at least expected) speeds?

Advertised Speed: Read speeds of up to 3,500 MB/s and write speeds of up to 2,100 MB/s

Ive never been able to get better than half of those advertised speeds.

The 960 pro is my boot drive as APFS file system(trim enabled), its current temp is 52C but it fluctuates between 49-55C, no heat sink, there's plenty of space around card. only PCIe card is the AMD 580 GPU in the x16 slot, and smaller wifi/bluetooth in pci slot, neither of which should affect the m.2 performance.

attached are my speeds in black magic and info about the drive and my build.

Any help greatly appreciated!
I found some forums of Windows users having similar issues with this drive, and they blamed it on the XMP overclocker tuner in BIOS. They say to disable and manually set your RAM speed/voltage, they say the XMP limits the PCI or something. I haven't tried this yet, and doesn't make sense to me, but I may try if there's nothing left to try.

Right now Big Sur just isnt there for full use. Im a FCPX user and Big Sur even with the 11.1 update hurts renders and processing large 4k videos. I do have backup drives which in the Hackintosh world are a must, I would hold off a while on the upgrade to Big Sur. The 11.1 update made some weird things happen. But if you do decide try my best to be of help. If your a FCPX user I have a spread sheet of nearly 3 years of releases in the osx era.
My experience is that each update, minor or major often has a major impact on FCP performance, BruceX results often are double/half depending on OS/FCP version (altho I believe brucex is not a propper test for the modern era)
4k or 1080p doesn't seem to make a difference and smbios settings seem to have an impact.

Could you share your spreadsheet, please?
Have you ever tested your system with and without the second GPU to gauge how much % of performance gain you get from the 2nd one?

I kind of wish there was some kind of Hackintosh Video-specific community out there.

I kind of wish there was some kind of Hackintosh Video-specific community out there.
The tonymacx86 has a video forum section. That section and the Music section are two of the best kept secrets of this forum. Sigh.

The tonymacx86 has a video forum section. That section and the Music section are two of the best kept secrets of this forum. Sigh.

Wow... It doesn't show up in the top menubar, hard to get traction to something this hidden :crazy:
Good to know it exists tho as I do both Video and Audio, thanks.

Wow... It doesn't show up in the top menubar, hard to get traction to something this hidden :crazy:
Good to know it exists tho as I do both Video and Audio, thanks.
Double click on the "Forum" menu item at the top of the page. Don't use the drop down part of that menu item unless you know where you're going.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back