Contribute
Register

Stork's MyHero Build: ASUS ROG Z170 MAXIMUS VIII HERO - i7-6700K - GTX 980

Status
Not open for further replies.
You can map it in your kext. I join my .plist and .kext

Hi there.

Yes, that is correct. The ASMedia chipset does indeed show in the RP** node of the IORegistryExplorer tree and those USB ports are usable.

Yes too, you can map them manually or with Hackintool.

macOS has a built-in limit of 15 Intel USB ports supplied by the controller on your main chipset - in your case the Z170. Third-party controllers like the ASMedia one and others are treated by macOS as if they are PCIe cards in a Mac Pro. And you can see this from your own IORegistryExplorer grab. The patch you have created addresses this area instead of the XHC controller.

So the ports will work, but they are not controlled by macOS and can be unreliable. Apple would expect add-on cards to have their own certified drivers. Most of the time these third-party ports will work, but the unexpected can happen, especially if they supply USB3 functions to an existing USB2 port - truly piggy-backing. Five years ago @RehabMan released his final version of GenericUSBXHCI.kext which featured drivers for a few third-party USB controllers. If you are lucky nowadays these may still work or they may not.

:)

Effects of the GenericUSBXHCI.kext :
Capture d’écran 2020-08-24 à 20.22.35.png

I will try ;-)

@UtterDisbelief @Stork your experience prevails : even if it they are functional the mapping of these ports prevents sleep.

No need to map them at all, they are functional and sleep is OK.

Thanks for your advices !

Last edited:
@UtterDisbelief @Stork your experience prevails : even if it they are functional the mapping of these ports prevents sleep.

No need to map them at all, they are functional and sleep is OK.

Thanks for your advices !
What version of macOS are you using? (I'm sorry to ask if you stated it before.)

Today I visited my friend and his Hackintosh, and did the switch form Clover to OpenCore. With @jonz tips and OpenCore Sanity Check it was flawless at first try! Thank you, all!

@lutin, please write a step-by-step guide. You'll do us a great favor. You can either to a User Build description or a Catalina Desktop Guide. TIA.

Sorry - that machine is out of my hands. Here is as I remember:

I did cheat! No need to reinstall OSX from scratch!! Nothing has to be reinstalled, you only have to make a new EFI folder.

I created an OpenCore EFI folder on a USB-stick and had it boot the "old" disk with Catalina 15.4
Once my config.plist passed the Sanity Check and MacOS/OpenCore booted nicely from the USB I replaced the EFI on the disk and did an upgrade from 15.4 to 15.6 -with abolutely no intervention. Just went "Install" as a normal Mac.

Basically:
Renamed Clover "EFI" to "EFI old"
Un-zipped the OpenCore package and got the new EFI folder. I added @jonz' config.plist
Populated new EFI folder with kext and aml's according to @jonz' screenshot
In @jonz config.plist I activated / removed kexts with TextEdit (small and simple changes, no need for a dedicated App)
I stole his two *.aml's
My rig has a natively recognized AMD 580. @jonz had to block a nVidia card, so stuff related to blocking was removed.
I have no WiFI so @jonz' wifi-related kexts was also removed from config.plist
Sanity Checker gave me 2-3 errors, nothing important, mainly because @jonz config.plist was based on OC 0.59 and I used OC 0.60 (later 0.61)
Only "trouble" I encountered was to find and add the missing HFSplus.efi to "Drivers" folder.
Once up and running I used "OpenCore Configurator" to get new serials etc, I think I used iMac17.1

Voila!
ps Remember to get last version of kexts. OpenCore can be picky on this. Hackintool does this nicely.

Edit: got the config.plist for OC 0.61

Attachments

• config.plist
    21 KB · Views: 113
Last edited:
Hi, I ordered a replacement wifi card to replace my unsupported one.

As soon as I receive it I will write a step-by-step guide for OpenCore 6.1 install on this build.

Is it better to have it following this thread or to make it on another forum section ?

Hi, I ordered a replacement wifi card to replace my unsupported one.

As soon as I receive it I will write a step-by-step guide for OpenCore 6.1 install on this build.

Is it better to have it following this thread or to make it on another forum section ?
Your choice. You can add here or in the Catalina Desktop Guides forum section.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back