Contribute
Register

Stork's MyHero Build: ASUS ROG Z170 MAXIMUS VIII HERO - i7-6700K - GTX 980

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sound like you had Windows and macOS on the same drive and you did a Windows update which messed with your EFI folder. Just copy the EFI that I gave you back to your main system drive.

Windows is on a separate SSD, and I haven't booted it in weeks.

All I did was connect a new SSD in the hack and turn it on, and all of my boot options had defaulted to Windows Boot Manager. No idea how or why!

Out of interest, my hack boots a lot slower now. Used to take about 4-5 seconds on the Apple screen (El Capitan), now it's taking about 20 seconds. How fast/slow does yours boot?

Windows is on a separate SSD, and I haven't booted it in weeks.

All I did was connect a new SSD in the hack and turn it on, and all of my boot options had defaulted to Windows Boot Manager. No idea how or why!

Out of interest, my hack boots a lot slower now. Used to take about 4-5 seconds on the Apple screen (El Capitan), now it's taking about 20 seconds. How fast/slow does yours boot?

Weird... Adding a drive should not do that...

I honestly don't know. I don't restart often enough to notice... In fact, I haven't restarted in well over a month.

Weird... Adding a drive should not do that...

I honestly don't know. I don't restart often enough to notice... In fact, I haven't restarted in well over a month.

I prefer to sleep/wake also and don't intend to restart much now it's back up and running.

Thanks again for your help.

Anyone else notice that video/Youtube is slightly stuttering after going to Mojave? Or from NVIDIA 9XX to AMD 580?

I've tried everything (headless iGPU etc) yet video will stutter every few seconds. Test video:

(Open in YT and go full screen)

VLC doesn't feel as smooth either. The stutter is worse if the VDA Encoder works - i.e. when using the 6700K iGPU.

Forgive me if I'm asking a question that's already been asked before, but I haven't managed to find anybody with the problem that I'm facing.
This is the closest guide I can find that matches my current setup:

Motherboard: Asus Maximus VIII Gene
CPU: i7 6700K
GPU: GTX 970

I have followed this guide to the letter (All my BIOS settings match the guide).
I can successfully boot into the High Sierra Installer and initiate the installation. At around the 2 minutes remaining mark, my computer resets, and I select "Boot macOS Install from [your installation drive name]" in Clover, but not two seconds into the Apple Loading screen, my PC immediately resets. No matter how many times I try, the result is always the same. I have even tried the Preloader partition that is created (same result), and booting from the High Sierra Installation Drive (Takes me back to the start of the install MacOS main menu).

I booted the "Boot macOS Install from [your installation drive name]" in verbose mode to see if I could gleam what was going on in the couple of seconds it tries to resume the installation. It disappears so quickly, I had to record a video and then screenshot the very moment before it crashes to be able to see anything. I've attached that to this post. I hope it helps shine some light on what's going on.

Is anybody able to point me in the right direction? If you need any further details from me, I'll answer to the best of my ability! Thanks!

Attachments

• verbose.png
    verbose.png
    692.2 KB · Views: 42
Hello everyone,

Have you successfully installed catalina on maximus viii hero?

My cpu is i5 6600k and graphics card gtx 970.

Hello again,

I tried with UniBeast guide nothing more added and reached at Apple logo full loaded bar and stuck there, any idea?

Attachments

• IMG_20200808_105828.jpg
    IMG_20200808_105828.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 23
Hello everyone,

Have you successfully installed catalina on maximus viii hero?

My cpu is i5 6600k and graphics card gtx 970.

CPU and mobo are fine, but not the GFX card unfortunately. There are no NVIDIA drivers for Catalina, you'll need to to AMD.

I went from El Capitan (980ti) to Mojave (RX 580).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back