Contribute
Register

Stork's MyHero Build: ASUS ROG Z170 MAXIMUS VIII HERO - i7-6700K - GTX 980

Status
Not open for further replies.
The SSDT for CPU is not needed anymore.

I don't know if your temps are good or bad without knowing CPU load. But, generally, with no overclock, temps should not exceed the mid-70s under load.

Thats what I thought no SSDT needed, thank you!

Yeah I know theres a lot of factors into the temps, I have a feeling i'm running a bit higher than I should though, with nothing else open or running I started a video render with handbrake and temps shot up to 70 and stayed between 69-72 until I stoped it a few minutes in. Not terrible, I guess I thought with the H55 liquid cooler It would run at lower temps. Maybe Ill hold off from pushing this past 4.0ghz.

anyways thanks again!

Hi,
Had I known no one else has had success going to Catalina with this board I probably wouldn’t have tried it myself!
But, I'm glad I didn't know that as Ive got it running pretty smooth so far! I followed these instructions on updating to Catalina:https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/update-directly-to-macos-catalina.284463/

Which is to directly update via the Catalina app from the App Store, no UniBeast necessary, which I believe UniBeast is just for booting and installing on a new empty hard drive, not an existing Hackintosh. I did also update from 10.13.6 High Sierra in case that makes ant difference, I'm also on 17,1 SMBIOS as recommended by @pastrychef

Notes:
Mac OS Catalina 10.15.5 (19F101)

Pretty much everything works so far, iCloud, SideCar with my iPad Pro (main reason I wanted to upgrade to Catalina), iMessage and hand off work, bluetooth, and airdrop all work fine. I even managed to get Apple TV+ APP and DRM protected content in Safari using the bootArg: shikigva=80, This requires certain AMD graphics (see this post about that: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/an-idiots-guide-to-lilu-and-its-plug-ins.260063/#DRM-AMD )

All in all I'm up and running without any issues, I occasionally get a graphics glitch of artifacts flash on the screen for a split second, but Ive always had this issue with this build and its very rare, Other issue I've had with this build from day one is sometimes my Bluetooth mouse will lag really bad when my processor is working hard (at least I notice my computer fans are louder when this issue comes up– This could be an issue with the mouse as I have not tested it with another Bluetooth mouse, but its frustrating enough that I've switched to wired mouse.

Hope you are able to get it running with the Catalina update method mentioned above!
Unfortunately

I tried, for the first time in my hackintosh life, to perfom an update from the APP store ; from Mojave 10.14.6 to Catalina, but I end up getting the Prohibited sign. In verbose mode, the screen gets garbled a couple of seconds before the sign so I cannot even have a readable screen shot to post here :( .

Have I missed something ? ( Guess it's a difficult question to answer with the sketchy details I have put above ... even for the strongest hackintoshers of the forum.

I was getting the prohibited sign when trying to enable IGPU for quick sync, after updating to the rx580, if you look a few posts of mine back, i ended up using pastrychefs efi that he made from mine and now all is well. Our problems may have been different though, but you could go back download that efi and compare the plist see if there’s anything in yours that may need to be enabled or disabled.

Hey @pastrychef and @Stork

Thanks for all of your help to myself and others on this forum. A quick question, I have this Golden build and am running El Capitan with a 980.

I'd like to move to Mojave and a Sapphire 580. Can I go direct to Mojave, or do I need to install High Sierra first?

...A quick question, I have this Golden build and am running El Capitan with a 980.

I'd like to move to Mojave and a Sapphire 580. Can I go direct to Mojave, or do I need to install High Sierra first?
Backup!

Create a Mojave UniBeast Install USB and copy MultiBeast for Mojave onto the USB.

Update all your apps as needed.

Boot into the installer USB and install over your El Capitan disk.

After the installation is complete, reboot with USB Installer.

Copy MultiBeast to your drive and run MultiBeast. After the MultiBeast installation is complete, reboot into your Mojave drive.

Done!

Backup!

Create a Mojave UniBeast Install USB and copy MultiBeast for Mojave onto the USB.

Update all your apps as needed.

Boot into the installer USB and install over your El Capitan disk.

After the installation is complete, reboot with USB Installer.

Copy MultiBeast to your drive and run MultiBeast. After the MultiBeast installation is complete, reboot into your Mojave drive.

Done!

Thank you Stork! Appreciate the reply. That sounds easier than I was expecting.

Once backed up, I assuming NVIDIA web drivers need to be uninstalled, then power down. Change GFX card to 580 then boot into via the USB installer?

Installing MB on the drive is to update the EFI etc I assume? Do you know which options I should enable? Sorry to be a pain!

Thank you Stork! Appreciate the reply. That sounds easier than I was expecting.

Once backed up, I assuming NVIDIA web drivers need to be uninstalled, then power down. Change GFX card to 580 then boot into via the USB installer?

Installing MB on the drive is to update the EFI etc I assume? Do you know which options I should enable? Sorry to be a pain!
Oh, you're using a Nvidia graphics card. Then, your system will only support High Sierra as there are no Nvidia web drivers for Mojave or Catalina. If you want to go with Mojave, you'll need an AMD graphics card like the Sapphire RX 580 8GB graphics card.

Hey @pastrychef and @Stork

Thanks for all of your help to myself and others on this forum. A quick question, I have this Golden build and am running El Capitan with a 980.

Assuming Clover and kexts are updated, you should be fine.

Uninstall the Nvidia web drivers.
Shut down.
Swap video cards to the RX 580.
Boot.

Last edited:
Oh, you're using a Nvidia graphics card. Then, your system will only support High Sierra as there are no Nvidia web drivers for Mojave or Catalina. If you want to go with Mojave, you'll need an AMD graphics card like the Sapphire RX 580 8GB graphics card.

That's the plan, I was wondering whether I could go direct to Mojave/580 from El Cap/980, or if there were certain fixes to work around.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back