Contribute
Register

Stork's MyHero Build: ASUS ROG Z170 MAXIMUS VIII HERO - i7-6700K - GTX 980

Status
Not open for further replies.
Need some help,

Finally deciding to upgrade this build from High Sierra, I just swapped out my Nvidia GTX 1060 for the Sapphire RX580. Seemed to be plug and play with everything except now I cannot render/encode h.264 video with Adobe Media Encoder. (I use this build for my graphics and animation job.) Whenever I try to encode it freezes my system.

I found some information about this issue in the forums but there's been a lot of different solutions and many variables I'm not sure apply to this build. For starters I'm still on High Sierra (but will be updating this weekend), and I've been using the iMac 14,2 system definition. (Some people found updating to iMac19,1 as a solution, I tried that and got a circle with a line crossed through it on boot instead of the apple logo (maybe because i'm still on High Sierra.)

I also get that circle with line on boot problem when I try to enable onboard graphics/multi monitor with primary display as my PEG. I heard this enables "quick sync" and hardware acceleration which could be the problem with encoding h.264.

I've just now successfully changed to a 18,1 system definition. But still cannot encode h.264 or enable dual onboard graphics and PEG. Also I added the updated Lilu and Whatever green to my Clover>Kexts>Other folder, read this was recommended. – Side note, while in there I saw I still have the "USB Inject All Kext" I made an SSDT for my USB configuration, shouldn't I remove that USB Inject All kext now?

Attached is my Config.plist (before updating my SMBIOS to iMac 18,1, so it will say 14,2).

Any help greatly appreciated! You guys are the best!

Try using iMac17,1 system definition.

In config.plist > ACPI > disable APSN
In config.plist > ACPI > disable APFL
In config.plist > ACPI > enable AutoMerge
In config.plist > Graphics > ig-platform-id > leave it blank.

I don't know how you configured your USB. USBInjectAll may or may not still be needed.

Try using iMac17,1 system definition.

In config.plist > Graphics > ig-platform-id > leave it blank.

I don't know how you configured your USB. USBInjectAll may or may not still be needed.

Awesome I will try this out and report back! Quick Question,once I make these tweaks to the config.plist, shoudl I try to see if I can enable "quick sync" with the settings in bios or thats probably not necessary (im still not sure exactly what that is, but some people have said it helped).

Awesome I will try this out and report back! Quick Question,once I make these tweaks to the config.plist, shoudl I try to see if I can enable "quick sync" with the settings in bios or thats probably not necessary (im still not sure exactly what that is, but some people have said it helped).

You have an "enable QuickSync" setting in BIOS??? I've never seen this... I guess it should be enabled...

Make sure IGPU is enabled in BIOS and your RX 580 should be set to primary.

You have an "enable QuickSync" setting in BIOS??? I've never seen this... I guess it should be enabled...

Make sure IGPU is enabled in BIOS and your RX 580 should be set to primary.

Sorry let me clarify, in order to "enable" quick sync, Ive read I have to do exactly that enable IGPU, multi monitor, and set my RX580 (PEG) to the primary.... Previously when doing this I get the boot error with the circle and line through it, but I will try it after making your suggested changes!

Sorry let me clarify, in order to "enable" quick sync, Ive read I have to do exactly that enable IGPU, multi monitor, and set my RX580 (PEG) to the primary.... Previously when doing this I get the boot error with the circle and line through it, but I will try it after making your suggested changes!

If/when you get the prohibit sign on boot, reboot in verbose mode and post a picture of where it gets stuck.

If/when you get the prohibit sign on boot, reboot in verbose mode and post a picture of where it gets stuck.

No luck over here... So after doing the following:
"Try using iMac17,1 system definition.

In config.plist > Graphics > ig-platform-id > leave it blank."

I boot back up, after the apple logo I lose my display from my main monitor via Display Port 2, HDMI monitor working fine, both are plugged into the rx580. I test the encoding of h.264 video and it crashes the computer as it has been doing since the rx580. So I change the bios settings to enable the IGPU etc, see the attached image, and then I get the prohibit sign on boot, also attached is a screenshot of where it got stuck via verbose...

With the GTX 1060 I had no issues with the monitors or encoding h.264 (but never tried IGPU enabled).
Its very strange.

Thanks again for the help!

Attachments

• IMG_1668.jpg
    IMG_1668.jpg
    714.6 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_1667.jpg
    IMG_1667.jpg
    845 KB · Views: 47
No luck over here... So after doing the following:
"Try using iMac17,1 system definition.

In config.plist > Graphics > ig-platform-id > leave it blank."

I boot back up, after the apple logo I lose my display from my main monitor via Display Port 2, HDMI monitor working fine, both are plugged into the rx580. I test the encoding of h.264 video and it crashes the computer as it has been doing since the rx580. So I change the bios settings to enable the IGPU etc, see the attached image, and then I get the prohibit sign on boot, also attached is a screenshot of where it got stuck via verbose...

With the GTX 1060 I had no issues with the monitors or encoding h.264 (but never tried IGPU enabled).
Its very strange.

Thanks again for the help!

Please post your EFI folder.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back