Contribute
Register

Stork's MyHero Build: ASUS ROG Z170 MAXIMUS VIII HERO - i7-6700K - GTX 980

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have found some problem with creating working installation drive for High sierra for this build. Whille boot stucks after whole installation, I decided to replicate system disk from simillar bulid, and viola! No problem with boot, no problem at all.
Did anyone found difficulties with creating working installation USB for High Sierra?

...Did anyone found difficulties with creating working installation USB for High Sierra?
Nope. Did you use UniBeast to create your USB installation thumb drive?

Does anyone know of the Ranger version of this motherboard would work with this tutorial? I can't seem to find a decently prices Hero. Or anyone want to chime in how much they paid for theirs.

Error update to 10.15.4

Attachments

• 910AE4D0-8181-4B85-93C7-9D0EE67B7A45.jpeg
    910AE4D0-8181-4B85-93C7-9D0EE67B7A45.jpeg
    84.9 KB · Views: 74
Sure - here we go. OC runs very smooth. Beneath is a short ramp up of whats working / not working.

Please keep in mind that I set "show picker" to false in my config.plist to get a "real macOS" feeling using only hotkeys on boot to enter Win10. ;-)

Here's whats working so far:
  • Sound via HDMI (GFX) = OK
  • Sound (analog/digital Input and Output) via motherboard = OK
  • iMessage including SMS forwarding = OK
  • Instant Hotspot (iPhone 11) = OK
  • iPhone calls (iPhone 11) = OK
  • AirPlay (Audio and Video) = OK
  • Bluetooth = OK
  • Handoff/Continuity (iPhone > Hack) = OK
  • Handoff/Continuity (Hack > iPhone) = OK
  • Universal clipboard (iPhone > Hack) = OK
  • Universal clipboard (Hack > iPhone) = OK
  • AirDrop (Hack > iPhone) = OK
  • AirDrop (iPhone > Hack) = OK
  • Continuity camera = OK
  • Sidecar (iPad Pro 12,9" 2018) = OK
  • Apple Pay (via iPhone / AppleWatch) = OK
  • Sleep = OK
And here's whats not working
  • Auto unlock with Apple Watch = NOK
    • I successfully activated my Apple Watch in the system preferences to unlock my hack. But when I locked my account and want to unlocked via the watch, it just provides the typical information like "Unlocking with Apple Watch" ... this lasts for about 2-3 seconds and then suddenly change to password input field. :crazy:
      With clover unlocking works fine

EDIT: After setting both hibernatemode and proximitywake to 0 the sleepmode seems to work fine. :headbang:

This is very cool, aside from the shared EFI (THANK YOU!) could you make a rough bullet point of the steps or what is different from the original guide to do a new install and/or migration? It sounds like OpenCore is really reducing the quirk level and I'm really looking forward to that right now for this build.

Concerns about this being in beta still seem to no longer be a serious consideration with all the movement to OpenCore. Every single post I'm seeing with newer OpenCore builds is a significant improvement over Clover.

@yllapilate, it not only sounds reducing quirks - even now in the beta it's definitely light years ahead of Clover.
Light weighted, and, if you wish you can get an Apple native feeling --> hotkeys, doing updates and other stuff.
And for me the best thing is, that the developers don't rolling a dice on every new version.
The installer of Clover gets me in rage many times due to very stupid installer issues that all ended up in killing my EFI.

Besides that - acidanthera (the devs of WEG, Lilu, AppleALC) focus their tools now on OpenCore. Pretty clear because they're also the devs of OpenCore. I love using tools that are attuned. Highly recommend to give it a try.

I'll try to write a detailed instruction of what I set in the OpenCore config.plist within the next hours.

Update: Here my settings in detail.
To minimized it to the necessary settings I'll only describe the values where I made settings or change something!!
Base is always the "sample.plist" provided with any release of OpenCore.

1590433206034.png

Last edited:
Need some help,

Finally deciding to upgrade this build from High Sierra, I just swapped out my Nvidia GTX 1060 for the Sapphire RX580. Seemed to be plug and play with everything except now I cannot render/encode h.264 video with Adobe Media Encoder. (I use this build for my graphics and animation job.) Whenever I try to encode it freezes my system.

I found some information about this issue in the forums but there's been a lot of different solutions and many variables I'm not sure apply to this build. For starters I'm still on High Sierra (but will be updating this weekend), and I've been using the iMac 14,2 system definition. (Some people found updating to iMac19,1 as a solution, I tried that and got a circle with a line crossed through it on boot instead of the apple logo (maybe because i'm still on High Sierra.)

I also get that circle with line on boot problem when I try to enable onboard graphics/multi monitor with primary display as my PEG. I heard this enables "quick sync" and hardware acceleration which could be the problem with encoding h.264.

I've just now successfully changed to a 18,1 system definition. But still cannot encode h.264 or enable dual onboard graphics and PEG. Also I added the updated Lilu and Whatever green to my Clover>Kexts>Other folder, read this was recommended. – Side note, while in there I saw I still have the "USB Inject All Kext" I made an SSDT for my USB configuration, shouldn't I remove that USB Inject All kext now?

Attached is my Config.plist (before updating my SMBIOS to iMac 18,1, so it will say 14,2).

Any help greatly appreciated! You guys are the best!

Attachments

• config.plist
    7 KB · Views: 71
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back