Contribute
Register

Stork's MyHero Build: ASUS ROG Z170 MAXIMUS VIII HERO - i7-6700K - GTX 980

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was wondering if you could help me Stork. I have the Maximus Formula VIII and was running the i7 6700k and upgraded to i7 8700k and realized after I put it on that it doesn't work on this motherboard. Pins are not bent, but the motherboard boots with code 00 and nothing shows up on screen. I was wondering if you knew how to fix this?

Thanks!
I've never done that. When you say the motherboard boots with 00, is that with the 8700K or 6700K? Additionally, what does the motherboard User Manual say the 00 code means?

It does it with original cpu that was in there the 6700k. Manual has no definition for 00, says it could be a multitude of different things.

It does it with original cpu that was in there the 6700k. Manual has no definition for 00, says it could be a multitude of different things.
Beyond my knowledge. @pastrychef might be able to help.

I was wondering if you could help me Stork. I have the Maximus Formula VIII and was running the i7 6700k and upgraded to i7 8700k and realized after I put it on that it doesn't work on this motherboard. Pins are not bent, but the motherboard boots with code 00 and nothing shows up on screen. I was wondering if you knew how to fix this?

Thanks!

Z170 motherboards will not work with Coffee Lake CPUs. There are instructions around the internet that teach you how to hack your BIOS to add support for Coffee Lake but I've never tried them.

Z170 motherboards will not work with Coffee Lake CPUs. There are instructions around the internet that teach you how to hack your BIOS to add support for Coffee Lake but I've never tried them.
I'm not trying to hack it to work with coffee lake, I'm just tryig to figure out how to get rid of the 00 code and if anyone knows a fix to get it back up and running.

I'm not trying to hack it to work with coffee lake, I'm just tryig to figure out how to get rid of the 00 code and if anyone knows a fix to get it back up and running.

If pulling the 6700K and putting in an 8700K caused the error code to appear, I'd guess that putting the 6700K back should get rid of the error.

If pulling the 6700K and putting in an 8700K caused the error code to appear, I'd guess that putting the 6700K back should get rid of the error.
Yeah oddly enough it didn’t do that... I wonder if that cpu damaged the motherboard?

Yeah oddly enough it didn’t do that... I wonder if that cpu damaged the motherboard?

Have you tried clearing CMOS? Remember to disconnect the power cable before clearing CMOS.

Have you tried clearing CMOS? Remember to disconnect the power cable before clearing CMOS.
I'm waiting for some new parts to come in and try this. Never tried it without powercable, thought power was needed to be in to clear it.

I'm waiting for some new parts to come in and try this. Never tried it without powercable, thought power was needed to be in to clear it.

No. It's important to NOT have power when clearing CMOS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back