Contribute
Register

Stork's MyHero Build: ASUS ROG Z170 MAXIMUS VIII HERO - i7-6700K - GTX 980

Status
Not open for further replies.
I successfully moved to OpenCore with this build. But I have a last challenge to pass - Sleep :)
I started sleep and just a second, after the hack seems to be in sleepmode, he awakes immediately.

Here's my current setting which seems to be "untouched" - what do I need to set to get a working sleep mode?

Thanks for any help.

Nice, would you mind sharing your EFI folder? Would love to try it also!

Regarding sleep - have you checked the Console to find the WAKE reason? It should be listed.

Sure - here we go. OC runs very smooth. Beneath is a short ramp up of whats working / not working.

Please keep in mind that I set "show picker" to false in my config.plist to get a "real macOS" feeling using only hotkeys on boot to enter Win10. ;-)

Here's whats working so far:
  • Sound via HDMI (GFX) = OK
  • Sound (analog/digital Input and Output) via motherboard = OK
  • iMessage including SMS forwarding = OK
  • Instant Hotspot (iPhone 11) = OK
  • iPhone calls (iPhone 11) = OK
  • AirPlay (Audio and Video) = OK
  • Bluetooth = OK
  • Handoff/Continuity (iPhone > Hack) = OK
  • Handoff/Continuity (Hack > iPhone) = OK
  • Universal clipboard (iPhone > Hack) = OK
  • Universal clipboard (Hack > iPhone) = OK
  • AirDrop (Hack > iPhone) = OK
  • AirDrop (iPhone > Hack) = OK
  • Continuity camera = OK
  • Sidecar (iPad Pro 12,9" 2018) = OK
  • Apple Pay (via iPhone / AppleWatch) = OK
  • Sleep = OK
And here's whats not working
  • Auto unlock with Apple Watch = NOK
    • I successfully activated my Apple Watch in the system preferences to unlock my hack. But when I locked my account and want to unlocked via the watch, it just provides the typical information like "Unlocking with Apple Watch" ... this lasts for about 2-3 seconds and then suddenly change to password input field. :crazy:
      With clover unlocking works fine

EDIT: After setting both hibernatemode and proximitywake to 0 the sleepmode seems to work fine. :headbang:

Attachments

• OC_0.5.5_works.zip
    1.9 MB · Views: 84
Last edited:
Sure - here we go. OC runs very smooth. Beneath is a short ramp up of whats working / not working.

Please keep in mind that I set "show picker" to false in my config.plist to get a "real macOS" feeling using only hotkeys on boot to enter Win10. ;-)

Here's whats working so far:
  • Sound via HDMI (GFX) = OK
  • Sound (analog/digital Input and Output) via motherboard = OK
  • iMessage including SMS forwarding = OK
  • Instant Hotspot (iPhone 11) = OK
  • iPhone calls (iPhone 11) = OK
  • AirPlay (Audio and Video) = OK
  • Bluetooth = OK
  • Handoff/Continuity (iPhone > Hack) = OK
  • Handoff/Continuity (Hack > iPhone) = OK
  • Universal clipboard (iPhone > Hack) = OK
  • Universal clipboard (Hack > iPhone) = OK
  • AirDrop (Hack > iPhone) = OK
  • AirDrop (iPhone > Hack) = OK
  • Continuity camera = OK
  • Sidecar (iPad Pro 12,9" 2018) = OK
  • Apple Pay (via iPhone / AppleWatch) = OK
  • Sleep = OK
And here's whats not working
  • Auto unlock with Apple Watch = NOK
    • I successfully activated my Apple Watch in the system preferences to unlock my hack. But when I locked my account and want to unlocked via the watch, it just provides the typical information like "Unlocking with Apple Watch" ... this lasts for about 2-3 seconds and then suddenly change to password input field. :crazy:
      With clover unlocking works fine

EDIT: After setting both hibernatemode and proximitywake to 0 the sleepmode seems to work fine. :headbang:

Glad you got it working!

Thanks very much for sharing your EFI/efforts, looking forward to giving this a go!

@Maddeen and @Yoga,

Just remember that OpenCore is in it's beta stage of development. It changes with every bump in the beta versions. Consequently, I would consider OpenCore a hobby right now. But, have fun!

@Stork - that's correct.
I recommend to everybody to double check every update of OC and read the "Differences.pdf" before installing it!

@Yoga - do you got an Apple Watch? Would be great if you can check if you're able to unlock macOS with it.

Trying to install on a similar configuration with 6700K, M8H, Gtx 1080. But I'm stuck on PXSX cannot assert wake from D3Cold, any suggestions?

Please @Maddeen post any changes you have found? I have just got this board (but have not got time to look at it yet, but will install soon). I'm aiming at Catalina for a Photoshop workstation. In the spirit of 'things moving forward' I will try out with OC. All tips, updates and upgrades are welcome!
Edit Mars 23:
Here you go, well working and stable Clover EFI folder for Cat. You might want to generate your own SSDT-USB.aml with Hackintool. No GTX980, only on-board iGPU graphics (no nVidia support for Catalina). I suppose hibernation & sleep isn´t working, I have not even tried. If somebody make sleep work, please post info here!
Edit Mars 29th
See my updated final EFI and BIOS settings. 'Everything' works: sleep, display off, native NVRAM. You will have to change serials etc.
Catalina 10.15.4 (just clicked upgrade from 10.15.3)
iMac17.1
AMD RX560 GPU (consumes less power and is good enough for Photoshop) NO GTX980 !
iGPU is activated
SIP is unaltered
Boot sound works (really not important)
Hackintool says VDA is supported (not tested)
NVMe-disk as main disk
USB3.1 works (red connectors HSxx) - have not tested 'faster than USB3 speed' or charging
WiFi not installed
BT not installed
Thunderbolt - deactivated in BIOS. I don't need it
Sleep of mechanical SATA disk - can not test
I messed up and was caught in a Catch22 with USB settings. I solved this with boot arguments. Please note: HS03,HS04,HS09,HS10,HS11,HS12,HS13,HS14,SS03,SS04 are deactivated. OSX prefer it that way. I have installed 2x USB3 connectors in front so internal HS01,HS02,SS01,SS02 are turned on. You play with these boot arguments on your own...

USB portmap ASUS_Hero_VIII.jpeg

Attachments

• BIOS_set.CMO.zip
    1.8 KB · Views: 72
  • Perfect everything.zip
    4.9 MB · Views: 87
Last edited:
Hello again:) Trying to make clean instalation of High Sierra for my friend with this build with Maximus VIII core i7 and GTX970 and every time I got stuck at loading logo after instalation. in Verbose mode i got many errors. He succesfully tried mojave, but there are no drivers for Nvidia. So I had to format his drive and start all over from scratch. Spent so many hours by reinstalations with no solotion. Any Advice? Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_6618.JPG
    IMG_6618.JPG
    2.9 MB · Views: 45
  • IMG_6616.JPG
    IMG_6616.JPG
    2.9 MB · Views: 56
Hello again:) Trying to make clean instalation of High Sierra for my friend with this build with Maximus VIII core i7 and GTX970 and every time I got stuck at loading logo after instalation. in Verbose mode i got many errors. He succesfully tried mojave, but there are no drivers for Nvidia. So I had to format his drive and start all over from scratch. Spent so many hours by reinstalations with no solotion. Any Advice? Thanks.
Try my BIOS settings and EFI folder. You will need to make changes for nVidia card. Honestly, you will have less trouble and a much better and up to date solution with an AMD RX 560 (or better) card on Catalina. I got mine for 40euros.

Last edited:
I was wondering if you could help me Stork. I have the Maximus Formula VIII and was running the i7 6700k and upgraded to i7 8700k and realized after I put it on that it doesn't work on this motherboard. Pins are not bent, but the motherboard boots with code 00 and nothing shows up on screen. I was wondering if you knew how to fix this?

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back