Contribute
Register

Stork's MyHero Build: ASUS ROG Z170 MAXIMUS VIII HERO - i7-6700K - GTX 980

Status
Not open for further replies.
High Sierra has gotten sluggish with time. Mojave boots up fairly quick. Since you've backed up your HS drive, I'd try to install Mojave "over" High Sierra. Create the Mojave USB installation thumb drive with UniBeast for Mojave and put MultiBeast for Mojave on it. Now, install Mojave like it's a fresh install. (Note: After the install, which takes several reboots, you'll be asked to log into iCloud. Don't do it. Wait until after the MultiBeast installation.) Run MultiBeast for Mojave as you did for HS. (Unfortunately, I haven't updated to Mojave on MyHero since it is at our Summer house, and I'm still waiting for Spring to occur in Northern Michigan, USA.) Take a look at MyHero II build for an example of what to do with MultiBeast in Mojave.

Install 10.14.4, or, better yet, await until 10.14.5 is released which should occur with the next several weeks. The full, latest Mojave installer will be on the Apple Mac App Store. The tonymacx86 Installation Guide for Mojave is appropriate to use. Again, see MyHero II build description for an example what you'll need to do especially with your RX 580 (post MultiBeast installation).

According to your suggestion, I will be doing the 10.14.4 direct install , as I would like to do that this weekend. But, hmm, I initially downloaded Mojave way back in September 2018, from the Mac App Store. So currently in my Applications folder there sits file Install macOS Mojave.app ( 6.3 Gb) with a creation date of 21/09/2018. And when I go to Mac App Store now, when I look for the "latest" Mojave", I don't get to download it ( in order to get 10.14.4 ) , but to 'Open' it. (And when I do so , the Install MacOS Mojave says "Version 14.0.18 (14018)" in it's "About" window). Where can I get the 10.14.4 full install file? Is there any link to it ? In Tonymac's link to 10.14.4 Update, there are 2 links : "Download the macOS Mojave 10.14.4 Update & Download the macOS Mojave 10.14.4 Combo Update" , but I believe these are not the full install Mojave ( 2 Gb or so ).

I am sure I am missing something obvious here :)

@HacKDo, move any macOS installer app from your /Applications/ folder to the Trash and empty the Trash. Then, go to the App Store and download the latest full Mojave installer.

@HacKDo, move any macOS installer app from your /Applications/ folder to the Trash and empty the Trash. Then, go to the App Store and download the latest full Mojave installer.

Thanks. I had to delete the copy in Applications, and even a backup copy on another sSD, and empty the trash before the App Store would give me the possibility to download. Which I am doing as we speak ... :)

Last edited:
So, after a couple of hiccups, Mojave has been installed successfully :) . I can now boot and browse, which are my minimal requirements...

First thing that I note is that my WiFi card does not seem to be recognized. It is the TP-Link TL WDN4800 which worked fine and OOB under High Sierra and is still under the latest current recommended network card on Tonymac.

Have I forgot something during the setup process to make it work under Mojave ?

So, after a couple of hiccups, Mojave has been installed successfully :) . I can now boot and browse, which are my minimal requirements...

First thing that I note is that my wifi card does not seem to be recognized. It is the tp-link TL WDN4800 which worked fine and OOB under HighSierra and is still under the latest current recommended network card on Tonymac.

Have I forgot something during the setup process to make it work under Mojave ?

This is what I used in both my builds.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07JLK9ZNQ/?tag=tonymacx86com-20

And I have since rebuilt my i7-6700K using my old ASUS ROG MAXIMUS VIII Extreme board.
However, the built in NIC is no longer working in macOS nor Windows. It does not light up or anything.
I need a new nic card but I can't seem to locate one that will work. I do like have imessage and all working on my machines. Any help would greatly be appreciated.

We've now received some reports that the TP-Link WDN4800 chipset is not supported in Mojave. Nuts! OK. I know the TP-Link T9E works. Love its' speed.

@boogieman77

There is a working temporary fix for this. Apple have depreciated support for this device for Mojave.
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...n900-not-working-after-install-mojave.257115/

This 'fix' should be considered as a temporary measure.
I’m sticking to 10.13.6 on this as I run a Nvidia card GTX 1080 Ti. I am pretty sure the built in Ethernet got zapped. Right before I built new setup we had a terrible lightning storm got some switches and this went out. Just trying to find a nice card that will work.

I’m sticking to 10.13.6 on this as I run a Nvidia card GTX 1080 Ti. I am pretty sure the built in Ethernet got zapped. Right before I built new setup we had a terrible lightning storm got some switches and this went out. Just trying to find a nice card that will work. And also let me continue to use iMessage, handoff, airdrop all work.

Found some Sonnets but they are 10gig and 5gig. These say they work but I don’t need that speed and price.

If you just want Apple features working, then the Null Ethernet may be an option to trick Apple to think that you have working ethernet:
https://github.com/RehabMan/OS-X-Null-Ethernet

You should be able to find inexpensive Realtek PCIe Ethernet cards woth a google search - but also try to check manufacturer specification to ensure that the info is correct.
There is also some Intel Ethernet cards available that may be a little more expensive. Both these options would require you to add the correct corresponding Ethernet kext - Use MultiBeast for speed, then reboot to test.

Ethernet must be on 'en 0' as listed in About this mac > System Information > Ethernet for Apple Services to function correctly. If you have any issues configuring then post full details of what you have done and the issues that you have to the Network Section for assistance.
https://www.tonymacx86.com/forums/network.15/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back