Contribute
Register

Stork's MyHero Build: ASUS ROG Z170 MAXIMUS VIII HERO - i7-6700K - GTX 980

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, I have completed a successful build following all the steps. Thanks @Stork for work wonderfull build.
I would like to know if someone has enabled quick sync in this build and how.
I would like also to know what are the benefits of doing it and the downsides (if there are).
Thanks

Hi, I have completed a successful build following all the steps. Thanks @Stork for work wonderfull build.
I would like to know if someone has enabled quick sync in this build and how.
I would like also to know what are the benefits of doing it and the downsides (if there are).
Thanks

Quick Sync is enabled on real Macs that have the capability and, if you want to mimic a real iMac as closely as possible, you should enable it too. I am unaware of any disadvantages to having Quick Sync enable, it's all positive.

You can try downloading the Sony Camp Demo Video and play it in QuickTime with and without Quick Sync enable to see the difference. Without Quick Sync, CPU usage will probably be around 200% if it even plays at all. With Quick Sync, CPU usage will probably not exceed 10%. This is because of the hardware decoding.

Enabling is a simple matter of enabling IGPU in BIOS. Since you are using an 8th gen CPU, there's nothing else to do. In fact, you should check your config.plist to (1) make sure InjectIntel is not enabled, (2) make sure you are not using any fake platform-id, (3) make sure no device properties are being injected.

Thanks @pastrychef for the quick answer.

(1) seems I have checked the InjectIntel. Should I disable the checkbox in clover configurator and it is fine?
(2) ig-platform-id (hope this is the parameter you are referring to) is blank (see image config1)
(3) Opening clover configurator Devices panel no devices properties seems to be edited (again, hoping this is the right place to check) (see image config2)

Attachments

• config1.png
    config1.png
    657.8 KB · Views: 195
  • config2.png
    config2.png
    677.5 KB · Views: 196
Thanks @pastrychef for the quick answer.

(1) seems I have checked the InjectIntel. Should I disable the checkbox in clover configurator and it is fine?
(2) ig-platform-id (hope this is the parameter you are referring to) is blank (see image config1)
(3) Opening clover configurator Devices panel no devices properties seems to be edited (again, hoping this is the right place to check) (see image config2)

It appears that you are using an older version of Clover Configurator. Get the latest version and you should see the following section:
Screen Shot 2019-03-22 at 7.57.17 AM.png

In config.plist > Graphics, uncheck Inject Intel and uncheck Inject ATI.

In BIOS, enable IGPU, set your RX 580 to be Primary Display, set DVMT Pre-Allocated to 64MB or more.

Ok @pastrychef, I have the newest Clover Configurator now and I have set the right parameters.
Before changing the config this settings are compatible also with AMD cards?
The other question is: if I make a backup of the config file and something goes wrong can I select the old config file for the boot in clover?

Ok @pastrychef, I have the newest Clover Configurator now and I have set the right parameters.
Before changing the config this settings are compatible also with AMD cards?
The other question is: if I make a backup of the config file and something goes wrong can I select the old config file for the boot in clover?

Before making any changes, you can:
  • Copy the entire EFI folder from the EFI partition of your main system drive to the EFI partition of your USB macOS installer. Replace (NOT merge) the EFI folder that's already there.
  • This way, you can boot from the USB installer in the event that whatever changes you make prevents you from booting in to macOS.
  • It's advisable to always keep a working copy of your EFI folder on a bootable USB flash drive such as the USB installer.

The changes that I suggested should not affect your AMD card's functionality.

Ok, perfect!

In BIOS, enable IGPU, set your RX 580 to be Primary Display, set DVMT Pre-Allocated to 64MB or more.

What do you mean with "DVMT Pre-Allocated to 64MB or more". I can't find the right parameter. How much more than 64MB?

I have done all the steps, I got the IGPU working. Watching the Sony Camp 4K Demo now the CPU is 13,4% vs 212,5% without any changes in the Radeon performance (I will leave images with test for others interested in this).

The question is: why in iStat Mens "Intel UHD Graphics 630" processor is 0% all the time? Is it a software bug?

Attachments

• heaven_igpudisabled_gpu100.png
    heaven_igpudisabled_gpu100.png
    3.2 MB · Views: 133
  • heaven_igpuenabled_gpu100.png
    heaven_igpuenabled_gpu100.png
    3.7 MB · Views: 169
  • sony_igpudisabled_gpu70.png
    sony_igpudisabled_gpu70.png
    9.8 MB · Views: 150
  • sony_igpuenabled_gpu70.png
    sony_igpuenabled_gpu70.png
    9 MB · Views: 164
Ok, perfect!

What do you mean with "DVMT Pre-Allocated to 64MB or more". I can't find the right parameter. How much more than 64MB?

I have done all the steps, I got the IGPU working. Watching the Sony Camp 4K Demo now the CPU is 13,4% vs 212,5% without any changes in the Radeon performance (I will leave images with test for others interested in this).

The question is: why in iStat Mens "Intel UHD Graphics 630" processor is 0% all the time? Is it a software bug?

Here's a screenshot of how it looks on my BIOS. I had it set to 192MB when I took the screenshot, but 64MB should be fine.

171208122519.jpg

If CPU usage is at 13.4%, then you have it enabled and it's working.

Yes, iStat Menus will always show the IGPU at 0% usage. I guess it's a bug... I don't know...

This is the screenshot of the bios setting. It is not the same as mine. I don't see the same settings as yours, but they works fine so I think I can leave them as they are

Is there a particular reason why you have increased the MB to 192 from 64?

Attachments

• igpu_bios_settings.jpg
    igpu_bios_settings.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 145
This is the screenshot of the bios setting. It is not the same as mine. I don't see the same settings as yours, but they works fine so I think I can leave them as they are

Is there a particular reason why you have increased the MB to 192 from 64?

I don't know why you don't have the option to set the DVMT Pre-Allocated, but if Quick Sync is working, I guess it's fine. I think it can be an issue if you use IGPU for display but you have a dGPU so you should be okay.

No reason. I was just testing to see if there were any differences between 64MB and 192MB. I couldn't see any and reverted back to 64MB.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back