Contribute
Register

Stork's MyHero Build: ASUS ROG Z170 MAXIMUS VIII HERO - i7-6700K - GTX 980

Status
Not open for further replies.
Other than it's the latest with some bugs corrected. Here's what the ASUS v3504 description states:
MAXIMUS VIII HERO BIOS 3504
1.Update new CPU microcode
2.Fixed Raid Card issue.
3.Improved system stability and performance.
4.Improved VGA cards and storage device compatibility
5.Fixed KB/MS devices issues
6.Fixed Plextor device issue​
So, upgrade...but be sure to note your changes before updating. After the upgrade, be sure to Load Optimum Settings first, then update with your settings.

BTW, I've been busy....OK, lazy, and I've haven't updated the BIOS, yet. But, you've encouraged me to do so...I'll update it today.

Unfortunately, I don't use FCX. I recommend you look in the Graphics and Video forum sections.

https://www.tonymacx86.com/forums/graphics.13/
https://www.tonymacx86.com/forums/video.23/

Thanks so much, Stork! I’m loving This build by the way! I plan on upgrading to the Samsung Pro M.2 soon as well. I’ll update the BIOS soon too!

Side note- the only way to get Airplay to work was to enable the IGP in BIOS as well as the other graphics, and now some macOS icons are invisible like the back buttons in safari and the main apple icon on the top menu bar. Anyone have any clue how to fix that?

Side note- the only way to get Airplay to work was to enable the IGP in BIOS as well as the other graphics, and now some macOS icons are invisible like the back buttons in safari and the main apple icon on the top menu bar. Anyone have any clue how to fix that?
Nope! I haven't tried AirPlay in long time. I'll try it over the next couple of days.

Hi Stork,

long time no hear. Reg. the latest BIOS update to v.3504, does it bring any improvements when you are still running El Captain?
Or does it bring more troubles with it, because you should´t change a running system, right? :thumbup: If I remember correctly, you mentioned some "things", which will change and require additional twisting in your build (didn´t find your matching post... sorry)
best
Michael

Yes, the v3504 BIOS seems to be harmless according to those who have updated. (See previous three pages.)

Yes, the v3504 BIOS seems to be harmless according to those who have updated. (See previous three pages.)
Hi Stork,
Thx for your answer. I read the posts you mentioned, but I stuck with your comment:

So, upgrade...but be sure to note your changes before updating. After the upgrade, be sure to Load Optimum Settings first, then update with your settings.

What do you mean by that? To write down the Bios settings from your post #1? And what are the "Optimum Settings? How do I "load" them? After the update, do I need to update Clover as well, or can I leave everything else untouched? Does this Bios update require any additional kext (other than that in your El Captain build description)?

Thx again for your help.
Best
Michael

On page 3-53 in the HERO User Manual, Section 3.10 of the BIOS, Exit Menu is described. One of the choices is "Load Optimized Defaults". Select this option immediately after updating the BIOS. Then, make the changes as outlined in Post #1. (Updating the BIOS causes the lose of your settings.)

You do not need to update Clover after updating the BIOS. Nor do you need to update kexts unless they've been updated since the last run of MultiBeast. The BIOS is independent of the OS.

On page 3-53 in the HERO User Manual, Section 3.10 of the BIOS, Exit Menu is described. One of the choices is "Load Optimized Defaults". Select this option immediately after updating the BIOS. Then, make the changes as outlined in Post #1. (Updating the BIOS causes the lose of your settings.)

You do not need to update Clover after updating the BIOS. Nor do you need to update kexts unless they've been updated since the last run of MultiBeast. The BIOS is independent of the OS.
Hi Stork,
Thank you so much for your answer. Really appreciated... Now I have a mission ;-)
Best
Michael

Hi Stork,

Finally found your comment I was looking for:
Note: BIOS versions greater than 2202 will no longer save NVRAM (important) between boot ups. This impacts iMessage and Nvidia web drivers. So, if your BIOS version is greater than 2201, you will need to fix this in MultiBeast as I point out below.

Will this affect my El Captain build as well, or is this a Sierra and above "thing"?
Best
Michael

NVRAM is important for Nvidia cards that use the Nvidia drivers. So, yes, it will affect El Capitan, too, if you use the Nvidia drivers. The solution for El Capitan is to use slim.jim's method referred to as the Problem 6 solution. For Sierra and High Sierra, the solution is the option in MultiBeast v9/v10, respectively:
Bootloaders -> Clover v2.4k r4xxx UEFI Boot Mode + Emulated NVRAM​
as discussed in Post #1.

NVRAM is important for Nvidia cards that use the Nvidia drivers. So, yes, it will affect El Capitan, too, if you use the Nvidia drivers. The solution for El Capitan is to use slim.jim's method referred to as the Problem 6 solution. For Sierra and High Sierra, the solution is the option in MultiBeast v9/v10, respectively:
Bootloaders -> Clover v2.4k r4xxx UEFI Boot Mode + Emulated NVRAM​
as discussed in Post #1.

Is there any way to get the "Last Booted Volume" option in clover working with Emulated NVRAM?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back