Contribute
Register

Stork's MyHero Build: ASUS ROG Z170 MAXIMUS VIII HERO - i7-6700K - GTX 980

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are you able to downgrade the bios?

Hi there,
as i wanted to narrow my problem i installed the 2202 Bios, have tried Sierra 10.12.0 and according Webdrivers. My System did boot into OSX with full resolution, but Mouse wasn't shown and also no bars to do anything. After this i rebooted and with web driver active it now boots into a black screen - maybe the hackintosh is active - but graphics are disabled.

Hi there,
as i wanted to narrow my problem i installed the 2202 Bios, have tried Sierra 10.12.0 and according Webdrivers. My System did boot into OSX with full resolution, but Mouse wasn't shown and also no bars to do anything. After this i rebooted and with web driver active it now boots into a black screen - maybe the hackintosh is active - but graphics are disabled.
Since we're not telepathic, we need to know your system components. See the tonymacx86 Forum Rules & Policies on signature block components.

Additionally, please provide complete details in your Profile.

Mobo: motherboard manufacturer/model
CPU: detailed CPU model (e.g., i7-4770K)
Graphics: Video card manufacturer/model and/or Intel Integrated Graphics version (e.g., HD4600)

See my Profile items to the left of my post, under my name.

By completing your Profile and signature block, you help us help you better. :thumbup:

Hello,

Just wanted to thank @Stork as I just builded my first customac these days following this great post and everything works great :

Asus Maximus VIII Hero Z170 - i7-6700K - Gigabyte GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB - Multiboot Sierra & Windows 10 Pro

Thanks !

Since we're not telepathic, we need to know your system components. See the tonymacx86 Forum Rules & Policies on signature block components.

Additionally, please provide complete details in your Profile.

Mobo: motherboard manufacturer/model
CPU: detailed CPU model (e.g., i7-4770K)
Graphics: Video card manufacturer/model and/or Intel Integrated Graphics version (e.g., HD4600)

See my Profile items to the left of my post, under my name.

By completing your Profile and signature block, you help us help you better. :thumbup:

After the 5th reinstallation or so and a lot of trying i found the solution:

I have a 4K Monitor and can ONLY start with HDMI-Cable attached and NO Display-Port cable.
Or otherwise Display will stay black. After the start of the OS i can attach the DP-Cable and the Monitor will work on that too - but not in 60Hz - only 30Hz - DP1.2. In Windows 60Hz is possible. Maybe theres a fix for this too? Starting to look out.

@Stork. Thanks for the support until here.

PatrickTsch,
Thank you for filling out your profile. :thumbup:

I recommend you post your 4K monitor interface problem in the Graphics forum section as I don't have a 4K monitor or any knowledge of them. (There might be a solution there.)

https://www.tonymacx86.com/forums/graphics.13/

Good news! I installed the EmuVariableUefi-64.efi in Clover > drivers64UEFI folder. Download the latest clover package and only install EmuVariableUefi-64.efi - you don't have to install all of the latest Clover. Before rebooting, change to the Nvidia drivers. All should be well after that.

Looks like the newest ASUS BIOS' are "wreaking" our NVRAM across reboots.

Sorry, but how exactly do i Install the EmuVariableUefi-64.efi in Clover? where do i download the latest clover package?

Edit: I think i found what you said. I followed these Steps solving "Problem 6."https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/solving-nvidia-driver-install-loading-problems.161256/. Didnt work though :/ maybe I'm doing something wrong. The EmuVariableUefi-64.efi doesn't appear in my drivers64UEFI Folder in EFI/Clover/ after rebooting

Edit2: It works now. I think either ticking Install to EFI or ticking Install RCthingie Scripts did the trick... Now only to fix audio over DP...

Last edited:
Hi Stork

I just wanted to add to the chorus of "Thank You's" for your incredibly detailed description of this build, and your continued support in this thread.

My previous build was an Sandy Bridge i7-2600k/ASUS Sabertooth P67 and was running Yosemite. It still had plenty of miles left, but I really wanted to have the updated OS. Despite multiple attempts, I could not get either El Capitain or Sierra running on this rig, so I finally threw in the towel.

I swore that my next mobo would be Gigabyte based on lingering minor problems I've been having with the Sabertooth, but after reading your guide, then through the entire thread (all 61 pages), I felt confident to proceed with this build.

It was nice to be able to build the system on the table before transplanting it into my case. There were a few hiccups along the road (faulty USB drive; power fluctuations during a heavy storm here; BIOS reset itself for some reason after the transplant), but they were problems all on my end and nothing related to your instructions or the hardware. These problems were nothing compared to the frustration of trying to update the OS's on my previous build.

It looks like everything is working on my build, sleep, audio, USB 3.0. Looking forward to getting iMessage working and deep-sleep.

One question I had was whether your FireWire card works? My P67 Sabertooth had an ISA slot that could accomodate my legacy SoundBlaster card that had a functioning FW port. Now with the HERO, I finally have to retire that dinosaur, but I still need a FW port.

Anyway, thank you once again!

Ted

As far as I know, by default, on Mac desktops, there is just sleep or awake. There are not levels of sleep such as "deep sleep".

From "man pmset":
Code:
SAFE SLEEP ARGUMENTS
     hibernatemode supports values of 0, 3, or 25. Whether or not a hiberna-
     tion image gets written is also dependent on the values of standby and
     autopoweroff

For example, on desktops that support standby a hibernation image will be
     written after the specified standbydelay time. To disable hibernation
     images completely, ensure hibernatemode standby and autopoweroff are all
     set to 0.

hibernatemode = 0 by default on desktops. The system will not back memory
     up to persistent storage. The system must wake from the contents of mem-