Contribute
Register

Stork's MyHero Build: ASUS ROG Z170 MAXIMUS VIII HERO - i7-6700K - GTX 980

Status
Not open for further replies.
You need the VoodooHDA audio driver for the ALPHA: https://sourceforge.net/projects/voodoohda/

I have "finally" almost figured my Hack. At least I feel that way :). I have a couple of problems, but more on this later.

The build
1. ASUS MAXIMUS VIII HERO ALPHA
2. Intel i7-6700K 4GHz
3. 32GB G.Skill TridentZ 3200Mhz
4. Gigabyte GTX960 OC Windforce 2
5. Corsair H100i v2
6. Samsung 950 Pro NVMe drive
7. Corsair 850W 80+ Gold Certified

The installation
1. Setup BIOS
2. Setup USB Stick for El Capitan, with NVMeGeneric.kext
3. Install with nv_disable=1
4. Follow the guide from https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...s-viii-gene-i5-6600k-gigabyte-gtx-950.204486/
5. Apply patch M.2 for Samsung 950 pro

The results
1. I have a kind of working Hack
View attachment 218183

The problems and hopefully I can find some solutions (need some help here)
1. The biggest issue is computer boots on the 2nd - 3rd attempt. When loading the OS from HDD, it breaks at half way loading and reboots. Sometimes it just gets through. If I load with nv_disable=1, it loads without any issues. I have updated the NVidia drivers to their latest version.
View attachment 218185
2. The audio is not working, no output devices are listed.
View attachment 218186

1. Did you modify your config.plist as show in tonymacx86's thread?

2. Try disabling GateKeeper with this Terminal command:
Code:
sudo spctl --master-disable
spctl --status
Reboot w/o caches (hit spacebar at the Clover boot screen).

If that doesn't work, enable Gaterkeeper:
Code:
sudo spctl --master-enable
spctl --status
and rerun MultiBeast for Sierra choosing only:
Drivers > Audio > Realtek ALCxxx > ALC1150
Drivers > Audio > 100 Series Audio​
Install and reboot w/o caches.

@Stork I put a 951 in my system, but it doesn't seem to be automagically detected on system installation. Is there a chance that it is acting like a 950 for some reason and needs the updated kext or plist?

@Stork I put a 951 in my system, but it doesn't seem to be automagically detected on system installation. Is there a chance that it is acting like a 950 for some reason and needs the updated kext or plist?
The 951 should work OOB after you format the drive per the tonymacx86 Sierra Installation Guide. However, check your BIOS to make sure it's recognized in Boot menu.

I was in iTunes yesterday and tried to play a movie and it's wouldn't play is anyone else having that issue??

The 951 should work OOB after you format the drive per the tonymacx86 Sierra Installation Guide. However, check your BIOS to make sure it's recognized in Boot menu.

That's what I'd understood, and the BIOS sees it fine, but it won't show up without the kext inside of OS X...

BTW, can't you just take a `HackrNVMeFamily-10_12_0.kext` and pop that into `EFI/EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other` and then remove the installer USB's S/L/E/IONVMeFamily.kext and boot without having to modify the config.plist for Clover to install a fresh copy of 10.12.1?

There are NVMe and AHCI versions of the SM951.

I'm using the Samsung 951 ACHI in this build thread as stated in the Post #1 build description.

So, yllapilate, if your 951 is NVMe, then you need to follow my Gene build description's installation procedures which uses a M.2 Samsung 950 Pro NVMe SSD.

BTW, for all intensive purposes, the GENE and HERO motherboard's BIOS setup and installation procedures are the same.

No, you don't have to buy OS X unless you don't have access to a Mac (friends', school, library, work, college or university). See the link above for more information.

You don't have to pay to make an Apple ID (account) but to download software from the Apple Mac App Store (MAS), you'll need to associate a credit card with your account even though you'll be only downloading free software.

If you use another Mac or Hack to access the MAS, you'll have to sign in with your account ID, otherwise you might have problems with the after install access.

So, create and log into your MAS account on your friend's Mac and download Sierra; after it's done downloading, the installer opens - just quit it. However, before downloading, make sure your friend's Mac doesn't have the Sierra installation app in the Applications folder; if so, move it temporarily to another folder. Download UniBeast and MultiBeast for Sierra. Run UniBeast to create the Installer USB thumb drive. After UniBeast is done, copy MultiBeast to the thumb drive. You're now set to install Sierra on your PC. See the tonymacx86 guide for instructions > https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...ierra-on-any-supported-intel-based-pc.200564/

Since the Intel on-board graphics on the 100 series motherboards is flaky right now, I'd invest in a low end graphics card like a GTX 750 Ti or used Nvidia GTX 760 or GTX 950. Stay away from AMD graphics cards as they have sleep/wake-up problems.
I saw your hero Build on golden builds and i am thinking about to make a similar one. But again I have some questions, sorry for the spam.
1) Why did you install El captain and not Siera?
2) It would be problem in my build to put broadwell processor i7-6800k?
3) PCI ssd works fine?
4) Your motherboard is better than the Gigabyte that the buyer guide suggests?
5) Why did you chose your ram instead of the suggested one on buyer guide this
6) It's stable for primary machine?

Thanks!

First, let's not hijack sunnyj's thread since the questions you're asking are not about his build. Second, here is your answers, briefly. Finally, if you have any more questions on my build, please post in my thread(s). TIA.

1) I build the system before Sierra was released. Thus, I installed El Capitan.

2) The i7-6800K is a 2011 socket processor. The 100 series motherboards have a 1151 processor socket. (Socket is the term for the motherboard processor connection.) The highest model number processor you can use on a 100 series motherboard is the i7-6700K.

3) I don't use PCI SSD so I don't know.

4) Gigabyte motherboards have a history as the easiest to adapt to a hackintosh. However, my ASUS GENE and HERO was very easy, too. Motherboard BIOS in the Gigabyte and ASUS motherboards are easy to setup. The Buyer's Guide lists all the motherboards that will work.

5) Each motherboard has a Memory Support List or Memory Qualified Vendor list where the motherboards were tested with various memory manufacturer's model number sets. So, determine the motherboard, then choose the memory that is on the list. The Buyer's Guide memory recommended on 99% of the motherboard manufacturer's qualified lists.

6) Hell yes! Otherwise I wouldn't have built it! :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back