Contribute
Register

Stork's MyHero Build: ASUS ROG Z170 MAXIMUS VIII HERO - i7-6700K - GTX 980

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just spent a few hours with my new EVGA GTX1060 purchased here:

http://www.ncix.com/products/?sku=133580

As we know there are no drivers yet so I played with Windows 10 for a while. This is one sweet card! I only need one 6-pin power connector compared to 2 for the old HD6870 card and it's SO quiet! It definitely meets my requirements for whisper-quiet operation as I was a little concerned about noise. Even running the Futermark bench tests I couldn't hear it across my media room.

I had to add nv_disable=1 to get it to boot to El Capitan and am using the HD530 graphics until Nvidia releases drivers for Sierra. So for now I change the default graphics configuration in the BIOS between igfx to pcix and it dual boots between Win10 and OSX perfectly. I've hooked up 2 HDMI cables to my display for now and just switch inputs.

What a sweet system this is and will be even better when drivers drop from Nvidia.

Cheers

Could It be my monitor? Im using a Dell 5K Monitor UP2715K

I was ready to return my Hero Alpha after discovering why I was getting a black screen totally unrelated to the Black Screen Thread for Nvidia cards using SMBIOS imAC 17,1 and MacPro6,1 etc etc.

Its our MB actually, and took me all weekend to discover what was going on with a black screen including black screen on Bios Post.

I have a thread over on the ASus ROg forums about this issue if you search there you will find it. I do not want to post any links in case I am breaking any rules here or creating a post not related to this thread.

Quick summary of my post solved:

I cannot believe I was not able to trouble shoot this from the very beginning looking for everything else!! Well at least this board behaves this way. So far I have tested these two cards, EVGA GTX 770 and EVGA GT 650 and newer cards like the Nvidia 900 series or later may not behave this way? I have other cards I will try like evga 760 and I may try older ones like the 610 and 210 cards. In the UEFI Bios under Advanced/System Agent (SA) Configuration/Graphics Configuration/Primary Display. I had that set to Auto and Multi Monitor to Enable. According to the manual when set like this both integrated (iGPU) and Discrete (my case Nvidia) graphic cards should output to monitors. Well I have only one monitor connected so when connect to iGPU I do see the Bios Post but when I connect the monitor to the Discrete EVGA card I have no signal of Bios post but once it boots to windows I have signal. If I change the setting to PCIe or PEG then the discrete card does have signal on Bios Post, and if I set this to iGPU I have signal to bios post but not Discrete EVGA graphics which I believe is acceptable but if I have this set to Auto with Multi-Monitor enabled it should give me signal to two monitors and/or to one monitor depending on which Display Port I decide to use either discrete or iGPU!!

I spent all weekend trying to figure out exactly what was wrong from removing my Cooler Master Power supply and connecting a Seasonic 1200 Platinum I had laying around. Tried re-seating the memory. Also used one stick of memory and an entire slew of settings in the Bios to trouble shoot this.

I believe this is some bug in the Bios and I will report to Asus accordingly.

Edited with link:

http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?87210-Maximus-VIII-Hero-Alpha-Discrete-GPU-Issue

Last edited:
You can publish the link to your thread in the ASUS ROG forum section. It will benefit others.

Hello Stork, an incredibly detailed post, thoroughly enjoyed reading it.

I am a bit new to the Hackintosh build world having only done a MSI netbook using Tiger 10.4.7 years ago before the Macbook Air 11". I have a Mac Pro 3.1 8 core Xeon with 14 Gb of RAM and 15 Tb of HDDs plus 1 256 SSD and ATI Radeon 5770... continuously upgraded and to be honest is still working fine but technology has improved so much I wanted to upgrade. The new Mac Pro is prohibitive and I hate external drive arrays so the Hackintosh route seemed my best bet. I had built PC's prior to Mac Intel days... (dating myself a bit) but have not since, just the Mac Pro upgrades and my SSD upgrades to my Macbook Pros.

So for the past year I have been waiting for sales on all the parts I decided to get for my first real Hackintosh build and just finished the build over the weekend. Here is parts list:
  • Asus Maximus Hero VIII
  • Intel Core i7 6700 4 GHz
  • Coolmaster Nepton 280L Liquid Cooler
  • Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 2400 MHz
  • Asus GeForce 980Ti Strix
  • TP-Link TL-WDN4800 Wireless PCI card
  • Asus Front Base
  • NZXT Aperture M 5.25" Card reader
  • Phantek Enthoo Luxe Full Tower Case - Black
I did a rough filming of the build and will be posting the video in a couple of weeks... went smoothly without a hitch... until I tried to install OS X.

I followed Tonymacx and your install instructions to the letter I believe but could not get the OS X installer to run. Here are the messages I got.

IMG_4717.jpg

added nv_disable=1

IMG_4718.jpg

Did a Windows 10 install on one SSD to check the system, created a series of drives

IMG_4719.jpg

Chose verbose mode

IMG_4721.jpg

Got this message every time.

Here is what I tried:
  1. Did all the bios changes, did the update to 1902 so it was identical to yours
  2. Tried installs both Yosemite and El Kapitan using Unibeast
  3. Put the USB drive in the lower USB port below the PS/2 port
  4. Tried with and without the graphics card in
  5. Tried recreating the USB Boot drive 3 times

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated :)

Nothing jumps out at me to tell you what to do. How did you make the installation thumb drive? What UniBeast "options" did you choose?

Hey Stork, thanks for the speedy reply, I used the latest Unibeast with USB, El Kapitan and UEFI Boot mode. No injected drivers.

I know that once I get OS X installer going I can work the kext files etc... but I can't even start... very frustrating, the system is purring along perfectly... just want it to be a Hackintosh

One more update... i decided to try a different USB drive, was using a Corsair 16 Gb and switched to a high end Kingston 32 Gb... sadly same result :thumbdown... I think they are both USB 3.0... I will go buy a USB 2.0 drive and give it a try in couple of days. Thanks again... if you think of anything let me know... will be scanning the forums

Updated to the latest BIOS v2001, dated September 02, 2016, with the following notes: "Improve system stability." Yeah, yeah, yeah. :thumbup: I'm a thinking ASUS is slowly publishing a BIOS update getting ready to support Kaby Lake processors since they use the same socket as Skylake processors. But, that's just a guess on my part.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back