Contribute
Register

Stork's MyHero Build: ASUS ROG Z170 MAXIMUS VIII HERO - i7-6700K - GTX 980

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nice! Thank you!
But audio doesn't work for me, there's a solution for fix that?
Oops! I left out the MultiBeast "Drivers > Audio > 100 Series Audio" in my MultiBeast configuration choices although it was in the MultiBeast Build screen snapshot. So, that might be your problem. If you didn't chose this option, rerun MultiBeast just selecting the "Drivers > Audio > 100 Series Audio" option.

Nice build. I was tempted to get this board when building my Skylake build a couple months ago but decided against it because of the 3.5 star rating on Amazon (only 3 eggs on Newegg). I don't usually purchase products with less than a 4 star rating on Amazon. Lots of people were complaining about poor build quality. Hope your mileage differs greatly from those!
I haven't run across anything that would point to poor build quality. I looked the board over carefully before installing it and the other components, and I didn't see any problem. I'll have to go read the Amazon and Newegg reviews.

Update: I read the reviews and, like you, I'm stunned by some of the write-ups. I didn't have any problems, though. So, that's the good news. However, I'll be sure to let you know if MyHero develops problems. (BTW, I've had several Gigabytes go Tango Uniform and had to RMA them. So, you puts your money down and takes your chances...I guess.)

Oops! I left out the MultiBeast "Drivers > Audio > 100 Series Audio" in my MultiBeast configuration choices although it was in the MultiBeast Build screen snapshot. So, that might be your problem. If you didn't chose this option, rerun MultiBeast just selecting the "Drivers > Audio > 100 Series Audio" option.

I haven't run across anything that would point to poor build quality. I looked the board over carefully before installing it and the other components, and I didn't see any problem. I'll have to go read the Amazon and Newegg reviews.

Update: I read the reviews and, like you, I'm stunned by some of the write-ups. I didn't have any problems, though. So, that's the good news. However, I'll be sure to let you know if MyHero develops problems. (BTW, I've had several Gigabytes go Tango Uniform and had to RMA them. So, you puts your money down and takes your chances...I guess.)
NOd3WEi.png

And still not working for me :(

It should work. Make sure in the Sound System Preferences pane that the Output is set to Internal Speakers. That's a change since Yosemite.

It should work. Make sure in the Sound System Preferences pane that the Output is set to Internal Speakers. That's a change since Yosemite.
For some reason after 2-3 restarts it works! Thank you!

For some reason after 2-3 restarts it works! Thank you!
Wow! Good job! I'm glad it finally worked for you. Now, go have fun with your hackintosh.

Well, now your hero build got me really interested. My question would be: Is the 3200 RAM really necessary? I read a test (unfortunately in German), where a theoretical advantage of higher memory clock was present, but in the field boiled down to about 6% performance boost between 2166 and 3200. But this was on the PC side. Is there a higher advantage on the mac side?

And for the board: What made you choose the Hero over e.g. the Ranger or the Asus Z170 Pro Gaming?

Last edited:
Well, now your hero build got me really interested. My question would be: Is the 3200 RAM really necessary? I read a test (unfortunately in German), where a theoretical advantage of higher memory clock was present, but in the field boiled down to about 6% performance boost between 2166 and 3200. But this was on the PC side. Is there a higher advantage on the mac side?
Shhhh! I chose the memory based upon the first 4x8GB configuration in the HERO memory QVL that I thought was reasonably affordable in the 3000 to 3400 range. Shhhh!

I had used 2666 memory for my GENE build, and the BIOS easily "took" it. So, I decided to try something faster. Then, Newegg put the G.Skill TridentZ 3200 on sale. Snarf! Shhhh! :lol:

And for the board: What made you choose the hero over e.g. the Asus Z170 Pro Gaming?
The HERO is the big brother to the GENE, and I just found a deal on it. Both motherboards are in the ROG MAXIMUS VIII family, and the User's Manual and BIOS look about the same. Since the GENE was one of the easiest builds to install El Capitan, the HERO was a no brainer choice when I wanted a full ATX motherboard based system.

So, my motherboard and memory choice had no technical focus other than what I explained above. An experiment that turned out well. :thumbup:

Ok, I'll tell no one! :shh: Then I'll look out for good deals. But maybe I'll take the ASUS MAXIMUS VIII Ranger, since it's 30 € less and only lacks 2 SATA and some plastic covers.

Oooh, I'm giddy to build me one :)

Last edited:
While searching for the QVL I realized, that the ASUS MAXIMUS VIII Ranger isn't available in the US – just in case you wondered.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back