Contribute
Register

Stork's MyHero Build: ASUS ROG Z170 MAXIMUS VIII HERO - i7-6700K - GTX 980

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tried, no change, no onboard audio through the 3.5, but its still working through my Display Port.

Weird... Do you have your speakers connected to the green audio out on back of the motherboard? In System Preference > Sound > Output, do you have "internal" selected?

@pastrychef
Yes, plugged in to green audio out, and the weird thing is I am not given "internal" as an option, see attached. It just started with this after I applied the new Efi Folder that fixed my encoding issues (which is far more important than this audio issue, so thank you again)

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-06-05 at 3.01.20 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-06-05 at 3.01.20 PM.png
    227.6 KB · Views: 59
@pastrychef
Yes, plugged in to green audio out, and the weird thing is I am not given "internal" as an option, see attached. It just started with this after I applied the new Efi Folder that fixed my encoding issues (which is far more important than this audio issue, so thank you again)

Hmm... Maybe try an older version of AppleALC?

So I tried several AppleALC kexts and none brought back the on board, built in Internal Speakers option. But yesterday I followed the procedure for updating to Catalina, downloaded the latest kexts for Lilu, WG, and Apple ALC in clover>kexts>other, and deleted the 3rd party kexts in Library>Extensions, and then updated to Catalina (which installed flawlessly considering I got interrupted during the install and came back an hour or so later and it was booted up and installed, luckily clover defaulted to the right partition to install after the restarts :lol: ). Now the option for the internal speakers is available and works, so does the DP audio, not sure if it was the latest kexts I added, removing the ones from library extensions, or upgrading the OS, or combination of those. Oh and I can still encode H.264 video!!! And for fun rx580 giving me a Metal Geekbench 5 score of 49K-50K! :headbang:

Thanks again to @Stork and @pastrychef for all the help on this build over the past couple years! Aside from Donating to Tonymacx86, which I will be doing again soon! How can I repay you???

So I tried several AppleALC kexts and none brought back the on board, built in Internal Speakers option. But yesterday I followed the procedure for updating to Catalina, downloaded the latest kexts for Lilu, WG, and Apple ALC in clover>kexts>other, and deleted the 3rd party kexts in Library>Extensions, and then updated to Catalina (which installed flawlessly considering I got interrupted during the install and came back an hour or so later and it was booted up and installed, luckily clover defaulted to the right partition to install after the restarts :lol: ). Now the option for the internal speakers is available and works, so does the DP audio, not sure if it was the latest kexts I added, removing the ones from library extensions, or upgrading the OS, or combination of those. Oh and I can still encode H.264 video!!! And for fun rx580 giving me a Metal Geekbench 5 score of 49K-50K! :headbang:

Thanks again to @Stork and @pastrychef for all the help on this build over the past couple years! Aside from Donating to Tonymacx86, which I will be doing again soon! How can I repay you???

Yeah. If you have any hackintosh kexts in /Library/Extensions/ and/or /System/Library/Extensions/, GET RID OF THEM!

Hi,

I have been reading through this thread, and if I am not mistaken, you are the only on with this mobo to have updated to Catalina. Could you detail what procedure you followed ? I am currently on Mojave and tried tried to follow the standard Tonymac Unibeast USB key creation for Catalina installation , but get stuck while booting with apfs_start_1689. This same error is abundantly referred to in issues encountered , but on other , more recent motherboards. The only thing I tried is to pit A SSDT-EC.aml file found in one of the threads in a /EFI/CLOVER/ACPI/patched/ directory on the Unibeast USB ket ( note this folder structure did not exitst before that I could only see an EFI-backups folder. But still the same error.

Thanks for any help.

Hi,

I have been reading through this thread, and if I am not mistaken, you are the only on with this mobo to have updated to Catalina. Could you detail what procedure you followed ? I am currently on Mojave and tried tried to follow the standard Tonymac Unibeast USB key creation for Catalina installation , but get stuck while booting with apfs_start_1689. This same error is abundantly referred to in issues encountered , but on other , more recent motherboards. The only thing I tried is to pit A SSDT-EC.aml file found in one of the threads in a /EFI/CLOVER/ACPI/patched/ directory on the Unibeast USB ket ( note this folder structure did not exitst before that I could only see an EFI-backups folder. But still the same error.

Thanks for any help.

Hi,
Had I known no one else has had success going to Catalina with this board I probably wouldn’t have tried it myself!
But, I'm glad I didn't know that as Ive got it running pretty smooth so far! I followed these instructions on updating to Catalina:https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/update-directly-to-macos-catalina.284463/

Which is to directly update via the Catalina app from the App Store, no UniBeast necessary, which I believe UniBeast is just for booting and installing on a new empty hard drive, not an existing Hackintosh. I did also update from 10.13.6 High Sierra in case that makes ant difference, I'm also on 17,1 SMBIOS as recommended by @pastrychef

Notes:
Mac OS Catalina 10.15.5 (19F101)

Pretty much everything works so far, iCloud, SideCar with my iPad Pro (main reason I wanted to upgrade to Catalina), iMessage and hand off work, bluetooth, and airdrop all work fine. I even managed to get Apple TV+ APP and DRM protected content in Safari using the bootArg: shikigva=80, This requires certain AMD graphics (see this post about that: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/an-idiots-guide-to-lilu-and-its-plug-ins.260063/#DRM-AMD )

All in all I'm up and running without any issues, I occasionally get a graphics glitch of artifacts flash on the screen for a split second, but Ive always had this issue with this build and its very rare, Other issue I've had with this build from day one is sometimes my Bluetooth mouse will lag really bad when my processor is working hard (at least I notice my computer fans are louder when this issue comes up– This could be an issue with the mouse as I have not tested it with another Bluetooth mouse, but its frustrating enough that I've switched to wired mouse.

Hope you are able to get it running with the Catalina update method mentioned above!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-06-14 at 4.35.37 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-06-14 at 4.35.37 PM.png
    211.6 KB · Views: 56
Hey @pastrychef

I noticed in the EFI you gave me there was no SSDT for my CPU, I had been using the one included in this build guide for my CPU. I think I read somewhere that it is not needed anymore, is that correct? I do not have it OC in BIOS or anything, though I wouldn't mind trying it out one day. Currently, in idle my CPU temps are between 40ºc-50ºc just minutes after booting up, I think that's fine? Screenshot of HWMonitor few minutes after booting up.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-06-21 at 2.54.05 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-06-21 at 2.54.05 PM.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 51
Hey @pastrychef

I noticed in the EFI you gave me there was no SSDT for my CPU, I had been using the one included in this build guide for my CPU. I think I read somewhere that it is not needed anymore, is that correct? I do not have it OC in BIOS or anything, though I wouldn't mind trying it out one day. Currently, in idle my CPU temps are between 40ºc-50ºc just minutes after booting up, I think that's fine? Screenshot of HWMonitor few minutes after booting up.

The SSDT for CPU is not needed anymore.

I don't know if your temps are good or bad without knowing CPU load. But, generally, with no overclock, temps should not exceed the mid-70s under load.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back