Contribute
Register

Stork's MyHero Build: ASUS ROG Z170 MAXIMUS VIII HERO - i7-6700K - GTX 980

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Stork what is the preferred iGPU / System Definition combination to get streaming iTunes movies to play with a dedicated GPU under Mojave? I've got a Z170i/6700K with an RX580 with a system definition of iMac 14,2 and iGPU enabled with everything working except for iTunes streaming movie playback.

@Stork what is the preferred iGPU / System Definition combination to get streaming iTunes movies to play with a dedicated GPU under Mojave? I've got a Z170i/6700K with an RX580 with a system definition of iMac 14,2 and iGPU enabled with everything working except for iTunes streaming movie playback.
Unfortunately, I don't know since I don't watch movies on MyHero. Maybe @pastrychef knows the answer to your problem.

I think that you should be able to use iMacPro1,1. iMacPro1,1 has proven to be the most consistent system definition to use for working DRM content. Remember to disable IGPU when using this system definition.

I think that you should be able to use iMacPro1,1. iMacPro1,1 has proven to be the most consistent system definition to use for working DRM content. Remember to disable IGPU when using this system definition.

@pastrychef thanks for the quick reply. Couple questions. I enabled IGPU to get images to show up in preview. Will iMacPro1,1 allow that? Any performance loss with turning IGPU off?

@pastrychef thanks for the quick reply. Couple questions. I enabled IGPU to get images to show up in preview. Will iMacPro1,1 allow that? Any performance loss with turning IGPU off?

When using iMacPro1,1, IGPU does not need to be enabled because real iMacPro1,1s use CPUs that don't have IGPU either.

I have not read of or seen any performance losses with IGPU disabled. Just make sure you are on the latest version of Mojave which made improvements to how iMacPro1,1s behave.

Last edited:
When using iMacPro1,1, IGPU does not need to be enabled because real iMacPro1,1s use CPUs that don't have IGPU either.

I have not read of or seen and performance losses with IGPU disabled. Just make sure you are on the latest version of Mojave which made improvements to how iMacPro1,1s behave.

Made the switch to iMacPro1,1 and disabled IGPU. Initially I was getting the "The selected movie won't play on one of your connected displays. This movie can be played only on displays that support HDCP...," but it has since started working. Thank you!

Alex

Deleted- ended up figuring out the problem.

Last edited:
@Stork - did you manage to get the USB 3.1- Type C to work?
I bought a iPad Pro 12´9" and wanted to try the new Sidecar feature in Catalina.
Sadly, my iPad seems not to be recognized by Catalina when connected to the Type-C-Port.
Charging works. But the iPad won't shown up in finder.
Sidecar via WiFi works fine - so it seems to be a problem with USB port itself.

I build my own USB-SSDT (attached) and exclude the ports mentioned below to be under the 15 ports.

Code:
uia_exclude=USR1;USR2;HS01;HS02;HS05;HS06;HS11;HS13;HS14

But I can't identify the "SS xx" which are for the Type-C. (see Mainboard-Photo. - -I went trough all the ports - but the Type-C won't popup and all other SS01-06 are "occupied" by other ports)

Maybe someone can help me - thanks in advance.

Attachments

• ASUS_Hero_VIII.001.jpeg
    ASUS_Hero_VIII.001.jpeg
    310.6 KB · Views: 211
  • SSDT-USB.aml
    887 bytes · Views: 210
  • SSDT-USB.dsl
    6.6 KB · Views: 87
Well, the good news is that Sidecar works via WiFi. The bad news is I haven't used USB 3.1 Type-C connection on MyHero. Unfortunately, I'm away visiting family and won't be back to test for several weeks. Sorry 'bout that.

@Stork - did you manage to get the USB 3.1- Type C to work?
I bought a iPad Pro 12´9" and wanted to try the new Sidecar feature in Catalina.
Sadly, my iPad seems not to be recognized by Catalina when connected to the Type-C-Port.
Charging works. But the iPad won't shown up in finder.
Sidecar via WiFi works fine - so it seems to be a problem with USB port itself.

I build my own USB-SSDT (attached) and exclude the ports mentioned below to be under the 15 ports.

Code:
uia_exclude=USR1;USR2;HS01;HS02;HS05;HS06;HS11;HS13;HS14

But I can't identify the "SS xx" which are for the Type-C. (see Mainboard-Photo. - -I went trough all the ports - but the Type-C won't popup and all other SS01-06 are "occupied" by other ports)

Maybe someone can help me - thanks in advance.

The USB 3.1 gen 2 ports are on a separate controller and are not counted towards the 15 port limit.

The Intel chipset didn't include USB 3.1 gen 2 until Z390.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back