Contribute
Register

Stork's MyHero Build: ASUS ROG Z170 MAXIMUS VIII HERO - i7-6700K - GTX 980

Status
Not open for further replies.
Would there be any minor changes if I slipped in a Kaby Lake i7-7700K processor? The only thing that comes to my mind is the System Definition iMac18. For CPU/GPU PM I just followed this thread below.

https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/macos-native-cpu-igpu-power-management.222982/
See pastrychef's GENE build description. He upgraded to an i7-7700K processor. The GENE and HERO are almost the same motherboard as far as design is concerned.

https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...s-maximus-viii-gene-i7-7700k-gtx-1080.198470/

I think you asked your question at the right time because he has worked all the issues and has rewritten his build description to reflect what you have to do to use a Kaby Lake processor.

Good luck! Report back on how it went.

Would there be any minor changes if I slipped in a Kaby Lake i7-7700K processor? The only thing that comes to my mind is the System Definition iMac18. For CPU/GPU PM I just followed this thread below.

https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/macos-native-cpu-igpu-power-management.222982/

If you want to upgrade to a Kaby Lake CPU. Do the following:

1. Upgrade macOS to 10.12.6.
  2. In Clover Configurator:
    • Changed the system definition to iMac18,3.
    • Leave FakeCPUID blank.
    • If you have the IGPU enabled, use ig-platform-id "0x59120003" and, in Devices section, set IntelGFX to "0x59128086"
  3. Do the physical CPU swap.
  4. Done.

The macOS native CPU power management link you posted should be applied whether you are using Skylake or Kaby Lake CPUs. It is a newer method that supercedes the older method of using an ssdt.aml generated by ssdtPRGen.sh.

This is the build I chose to do and I am really pleased with it. Stork's guide was easy to follow and got me off to a good start. Has anyone tried to update to 10.13 on this build?

Last edited:
@Macmagoo think you mean the 10.13 High Sierra Beta.

This is the build I chose to do and I am really pleased with it. Stork's guide was easy to follow and got me off to a good start. Has anyone tried to update to 10.13 on this build?
I have not tried to install the High Sierra (10.13) Beta builds. Unlike previous macOS betas, the High Sierra Beta uses a new file system - Apple File System (APFS) versus the previous HFS+ file system. So, this Beta period is fraught with too much risk for me. Additionally, MyHero is a production system, and it's not wise to risk a Beta system on MyHero.

Actually, I've not testing the High Sierra Betas on any of my systems for the above reason and because we're still early in the Beta program. I'll probably try the High Sierra Golden Master (GM) when it's released in late September or early October. There is too many unknowns about how the APFS will work on hackintoshs since Apple is updating the firmware for the Mac Pros, iMacs and MacBooks in several of the Beta builds.

I agree with Stork's stance on the HS Beta update. It's not worth risking a perfectly running Sierra install just to "try out" the beta. If you want to use a clean SSD to try an install that's not a problem. Make sure your Sierra drive is disconnected from the motherboard sata when/if you attempt to install HS Beta.

Thanks for replying quickly Stork. I do not want to take any chances either because I like what I have and no issues. If you do upgrade your MyHero build in the future it would be good if you posted your experiences on this thread.

Thanks for replying quickly Stork. I do not want to take any chances either because I like what I have and no issues. If you do upgrade your MyHero build in the future it would be good if you posted your experiences on this thread.
I plan to do that. I've been watching pastrychef's work on his Gene system (Golden Build) as the Gene and Hero are similar motherboards. For now, all works as it should so I'm not in a hurry to "fix it". However, I may try out toledo's new power management SSDT over the next week. So, stay tuned. :thumbup:

Any one tried the 3504 BIOS yet?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back