Contribute
Register

Stork's MyHero Build: ASUS ROG Z170 MAXIMUS VIII HERO - i7-6700K - GTX 980

Status
Not open for further replies.
I guess you meant : "which, unlike the 950 NVMe, works OOB"...
Corrected. Thank you.

I am curious to see how a NVMe SSD differs from a standard SSD in boot time. My hack ( I7-3370K and a Samsung 840 EVO SSD ) would take around 30 secs to boot - from powering on the hack until the El Capitan desktop is displayed and usable - with motherboard boot lego display removed , boot timeout set to 1 sec
I, too, started out with a Samsung 840 EVO SDD in Gene; mine is a 250GB. When I upgraded to the 950 NVMe 512GB SSD, the boot speed was faster by about 10 seconds. The time savings comes about in noticeable times is when you're reading or writing large files like in video production.

I must say that , your Gene and Hero builds have got me wanting to upgrade my Ivy Bridge 2013 hack... Not that it is slow by any means - My first and only hack has been rock solid from day 1, from Mountain Lion to El Capitan and fast, but those Asus boards and Bios are such beauties that I am longing to upgrade to Z170 17-6700K for an even faster build. But I have not made up my mind yet.

Will you be publishing your geekbench scores ?

I'll get some posted tomorrow for MyHero. Gene has some posted in the OP for that build description, but I'll update them.

However, I publish the GeekBench, but it's just giggles and grins. How well your system works and help you get your "job" done is what counts.

BTW, my Thunderball Ivy Bridge build and my Zorro Sandy Bridge systems work really well, too, for general computing and audio recording with GarageBand. However, these current graphics cards make web pages come up with a Poof. :lol:

@Stork
Hi!

I have the same hardware, except a beautifull AMD 290X for Final Cut X that works OOB.

Two question:
- How much time take your "Hero" to boot? It's my first time with Asus and take more time than Gigabyte.
- SSDT for i7 6700K is mandatory? I'm not using it and I checked with Intel Powerd Gadget and I see lot of different values.

THanks for the guide! I save it as PDF in my desktop.

It takes less than 30 seconds, but that's because I have an M.2 SSD. I use the SSDT for power management. I recommend trying and compare a before and after.

#Stork

I tried Ssdt and I get less values (5) than without it (7). I change Smbios 14.2 for 17.1 that have Skylake.

I supposed 6700k as the old 4770k don't need Ssdt. Maybe for the Hero Mobo that manage very well the processor.

In the near future I will overclock the processor and I will share the results.

Right now, Geekbench 64bits gave me an score 19800. And Cinebench 938.

Thank you.

Last edited:
(Optional) If you have a current nVidia graphics card, at the Clover boot screen, click on the "Gears" icon and add Boot Argument value "nv_disable=1" (without the quotes) until you install the nVidia web drivers

What do you mean by "current nVidia card" ? I currently have a 'basic' Nvidia Geforce GT 740 (Kepler ) which I might initially re-use in my future skylake hack . I guess I do not need to to set this argument, right ?

Stork I have tried to follow your guide but I have the maximus extreme and using a samsung solid state drive. I can get to clover and go to install I see the apple then turns to circle with slash in it. Our setup is nearly same except fore those components, and I went with a 1000 watt power supply. I have googled and looked for a solution.

What do you mean by "current nVidia card" ? I currently have a 'basic' Nvidia Geforce GT 740 (Kepler ) which I might initially re-use in my future skylake hack . I guess I do not need to to set this argument, right ?
Current means Nvidia Maxwell chipset or newer which requires the Nvidia web drivers to run with Yosemite or El Capitan. Your GT 740 shouldn't need these drivers unless your card has the DDR5 memory. So, you shouldn't need the to use "this argument."

Stork I have tried to follow your guide but I have the maximus extreme and using a samsung solid state drive. I can get to clover and go to install I see the apple then turns to circle with slash in it. Our setup is nearly same except fore those components, and I went with a 1000 watt power supply. I have googled and looked for a solution.
Are you trying to install El Capitan with a UniBeast created installation USB thumb drive?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back